2009 Indiana Jones Lego

inky_skin

All this talk of army-building Lego figures reminds me of a conversation I had with the guy who was demonstrating the new Indy/Star Wars products for Lego at the 2008 UK Toy Fair. I mentioned that the Clone minifigs were cool, and had Lego considered selling multi-packs of just the figures for the benefit collectors and dio guys. His response was something along the lines of "If we sold the figures on their own, then we'd be classed as action figure retailers. Hasbro has the sole rights to produce action figures for the Indy/Star Wars licences, we do not".

Jack Panix

inky_skin said:
"If we sold the figures on their own, then we'd be classed as action figure retailers. Hasbro has the sole rights to produce action figures for the Indy/Star Wars licences, we do not".
LEGO has sold Star Wars mini-figure packs in the past, but they're not allowed to do so now. Those packs, released in 2000, had three figures, a display stand and a background card. The closest LEGO gets to figure packs these days are the magnet sets and the battle packs.

---

I got another LEGO shipment in the mail today. This time I received my Fighter Plane Attack and Temple of Doom. Still waiting on the Venice Canal Chase to arrive.

kevblee

The Battle packs are better anyway. You get some pretty good parts and 4 figures for $10 to $12....better deal!

kevblee

At last, the west coast has been deluged by new Lego Sets! Found all 5 new Indy sets today at TRU, and all the new Star Wars sets as well....except Home One! Just built the Venice Canal chase , great little set even though Pricey! Nice attention to the boats, as has already been mentioned! Too bad no Brody in this set.

Kyle_Babbitt

kevblee said:
At last, the west coast has been deluged by new Lego Sets! Found all 5 new Indy sets today at TRU, and all the new Star Wars sets as well....except Home One! Just built the Venice Canal chase , great little set even though Pricey! Nice attention to the boats, as has already been mentioned! Too bad no Brody in this set.

Yup, i just found all the sets at a TRU here in the Bay Area as well.

Jack Panix

kevblee said:
Anyone turn up the HOME ONE TRU Star Wars exclusive set yet?
Nope. I saw the others at TRU today except for Echo Base and the Tank Droid. I had a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon that I used for this set, Family Home. I really wanted the SW sets, but this one has more pieces (nearly 1,000) for the price, which ended up being about $54.

Kyle_Babbitt

So what is the deal with TRU getting these before everyone else and charging $5-10 more on each set? Do they have some type of deal going with lego?

Dewy9

Kyle_Babbitt said:
So what is the deal with TRU getting these before everyone else and charging $5-10 more on each set? Do they have some type of deal going with lego?

Or maybe they're just quicker about getting stuff to the shevles. Who knows.

Jack Panix

Kyle_Babbitt said:
I think LEGO does have an arrangement with TRU so they receive the newest sets first and get more exclusives than the other retailers.

TRU stores usually have the largest variety and biggest LEGO selection throughout the year, so I think TLC favors them in regards to getting new and exclusive product first. The mark-up TRU has been charging us lately is probably a combination of rising overhead, inflation, and fierce competition from the big-box retailers. Those costs are passed onto the consumer in higher prices.

I think all toy companies have tried to favor TRU with new and exclusive product in the last few years to help keep the struggling toy chain alive.

Lambonius

Granted, I know next to nothing about economics, but I will never accept the mentality of "higher prices = higher profit." I get the logic behind it, but I think for the average consumer it goes more like this: "higher prices = go somewhere else." I would buy Legos and other toys at Toys R Us all the time if it wasn't for that ridiculous markup. Instead, I simply wait until I can find them at other stores, or I order them online.

indyt

I even went to a lego store in Raliegh NC and they did not even have the new ones. TRU get them even before lego stores?

Trennas

Still nothing in the Netherlands. Did some digging online and most sites list the new sets coming somewhere in August. Sigh, I suppose it's for the best, me not having any money and all :rolleyes:

kevblee

Not sure what the deal is,....but my TRU had all the new sets Wednesday of last week, and the Lego store as of this morning still does not have them. I have not seen any new sets at Target or Walmart yet either. The mark up sucks but if you can't wait...TRU is your only choice.....and I'm weak I tell you. Fighter plane attack was a great little build....especially the bi-plane. I think I might tackle a Ford Tri-Motor from Temple of Doom.....the airplanes always look so cool.

lao che & sons

I am really jellious. My TRU didn't have them a week ago and I haven't gone back since. I think they are schedualed for store release in august in all other stores

Jack Panix

I noticed that Walmart.com has some of the new Indy sets. If your local stores have site-to-store pick-up, then you can order the sets and have them shipped free to your local Walmart.

They have some of the big Star Wars sets I want, but after doing the math, I discovered that it would be cheaper to order them from LEGO Shop@Home instead even though WM has free site-to-store shipping. The sales tax Walmart would charge me is greater than what LEGO would charge for shipping.

Lambonius

Saw these at TRU finally. Didn't pick any up yet, as money is super tight at the moment due to my fiancee and I planning our wedding. Like I've said before, I find the TRU markup disgusting. Seriously, on the Cairo Ambush set it amounts to a 50% markup. Ridiculous. Thankfully, it appears that the more expensive sets, like the Fighter Chase and the Temple of Doom sets, are not marked up.