Indiana Jones Magazine!

indyclone25

i have to wait til friday for my copy ---- my local comic shop sold out of their copies of magazines and had to transfer me a copy from a sister store and that will be on friday--------- shucks i hope they get me the comic shop cover ?

indyclone25

the last one was a special 100 pg issue thats why it was 9.99 this isuue will most likely be 6.99 like the rest --- i will have to wait til friday for mine

Icybro

Actually, their write-up on Sophia Hapgood sounds a little familiar . . .
Born into a wealthy family from Boston, Massachussetts, Sophia Hapgood first encounters Indiana Jones on the Jastro expedition in Iceland. The two became close, but Indy is later surprised that Hapgood has kept many of the best artefacts [sic] for herself! Later, Hapgood became convinced that a piece that she has horded from the Jastro expedition once belonged to Atlantean king Nur-Ab-Sal. Indy warns her of the Nazi's interest in all things Atlantean and, after a series of adventures, they become romantically involved for a short while.
And here's the article I helped write for the Indiana Jones Wiki:
Sophia was born into a wealthy family from Boston, Massachusetts . . . . Her first encounter with Indiana Jones was on the Jastro expedition in Iceland, where the pair unearthed many unusual artifacts. The two became close, but maintained a professional relationship. . . . Hapgood refocused herself on psychic pursuits, turning her attention to a strange medallion she had kept from the Jastro expedition years earlier. She became convinced the piece had once belonged to Atlantean king Nur-Ab-Sal. . . . In 1939, an extremely skeptical Indiana Jones . . . warn[ed] Sophie of an urgent Nazi interest in all things Atlantean.
I'm not crazy, am I? There are too many similarities for it to be a coincidence.

I'm kinda flattered to have my words appear in an official publication, but on the other hand, I wish they had at least given a shout out to the Wiki. What do you guys think? :confused:

The Magic Rat

indyclone25 said:
i hate to say it ----but i don't think the magazine will last another year .

I didn't want to jinx it by saying that before, but that is exactly my opinion. Look at the first few and look at this. It's as if they're just slapping these things together now. For God's sake, some of the picture quality is embarrassing to see in professional print. The literally used Microsoft Paint to enlarge some stock advertising photos over several pages and call that an article. Sad.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
I have written the editors and volunteered to contribute articles on the fans, the internet radio Indy drama, and a bunch of other ideas beyond the fluff they are putting out and have heard back a resounding.... NOTHING.

At least I tried.

We all know there is tons of Indy material out there (just spend some days and even weeks looking through all TheRaider.net and you will find out there is a lot about Indiana Jones Mr. Wilkins (the editor) can be doing.

I hope the book keeps going -- hell, they had Star Trek going for years and they are just now getting a new movie and Enterprise went off what 4 years ago?

martinland

indyclone25 said:
i hate to say it ----but i don't think the magazine will last another year .
Hey, cheer up, all of you.

See it this way:

At least we got a couple of good issues.
Nobody would have thought of getting his hands on an Indy mag 27 years ago... ;) ;) ;)

Maybe, if the rumors about a fifth movie persist, they'll make it through to that like they did with the Star Wars magazine from the Special Editions to the Prequel Trilogy (only two years).

What became of this publication anyway? I lost interest pretty quickly as soon as the started featuring the prequels. Have all the first 25 issues around here though (the whole pile right underneath my tiny pile of Indy mags)... :D

Bye,
Martin

indyclone25

i mean i hope it last longer than a year ---------- but this issue was a bit subpar then some of their earlier issues---- i mean i have bought two copies of each issue -- the comics shop version and the newsstand version , so i hope i help in some small way to keep the sales up.they need to feature more fans and collectibles , such as the story records and maybe fan art page?like mr. hallock said there is a lot to look thru , maybe do an article on the hats that are made from different makers , jackets , whips , etc.---- so hopefully someone from the magazine can see the ideas we want here and get to work on it !!!

The Magic Rat

Mitchellhallock said:
I have written the editors and volunteered to contribute articles on the fans, the internet radio Indy drama, and a bunch of other ideas beyond the fluff they are putting out and have heard back a resounding.... NOTHING.

At least I tried.

We all know there is tons of Indy material out there (just spend some days and even weeks looking through all TheRaider.net and you will find out there is a lot about Indiana Jones Mr. Wilkins (the editor) can be doing.

I hope the book keeps going -- hell, they had Star Trek going for years and they are just now getting a new movie and Enterprise went off what 4 years ago?

I'd love for it to keep going, even if there is only one or two articles that aren't complete rubbish in each one just for the novelty of looking forward to a new Indiana Jones magazine every now and then to read. It makes me feel like getting a Star Wars Insider when I was a kid and rejoicing over the special every-now-and-then Indy issue. Plus, my God, there is so much they could be doing with this thing. Instead it's a lazy piece for seven dollars.

I do hope it improves and they keep publishing it. I'd be very disappointed if the mag kicked the bucket.

Dene

I read the interviews in Issue 4 last night and rather enjoyed them -- it was worth it for that certainly.

Would like to see an in-depth interview with Michael Kahn.

Reiterate all the other comments about how much there is out there that they could put in this; and that I'm fearful about how much longer it will last.

Icybro

No comments on the fact that they plagiarized that blurb on Sophia Hapgood? I'm disappointed (n)

It does sort of feed into the idea that they're not putting much effort into the magazine these days. A certain amount of fluff is to be expected, of course, but this latest issue was a new low. (I thought the feature on the novels was worth the read, though.)

The Magic Rat

Icybro said:
No comments on the fact that they plagiarized that blurb on Sophia Hapgood? I'm disappointed (n)

It does sort of feed into the idea that they're not putting much effort into the magazine these days. A certain amount of fluff is to be expected, of course, but this latest issue was a new low. (I thought the feature on the novels was worth the read, though.)

I'm glad others feel this way and not just me. It's sad, though, really is.

Crack that whip

The Magic Rat said:
I'd love for it to keep going, even if there is only one or two articles that aren't complete rubbish in each one just for the novelty of looking forward to a new Indiana Jones magazine every now and then to read. It makes me feel like getting a Star Wars Insider when I was a kid and rejoicing over the special every-now-and-then Indy issue. Plus, my God, there is so much they could be doing with this thing. Instead it's a lazy piece for seven dollars.

I do hope it improves and they keep publishing it. I'd be very disappointed if the mag kicked the bucket.

Same here on both counts. I actually have gotten something "new" from it in the sense of learning things about the movies I hadn't known before, or seeing new photos, etc., but most of the info is stuff I already knew, lots of the pictures are ones I've seen a lot, and so on.

What I'd really like would be some substantive coverage of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, since that's a whole major official Indy production that gets woefully little coverage for its importance in the Indy canon. I wonder whether it'll happen...

The Magic Rat

Crack that whip said:
Same here on both counts. I actually have gotten something "new" from it in the sense of learning things about the movies I hadn't known before, or seeing new photos, etc., but most of the info is stuff I already knew, lots of the pictures are ones I've seen a lot, and so on.

What I'd really like would be some substantive coverage of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, since that's a whole major official Indy production that gets woefully little coverage for its importance in the Indy canon. I wonder whether it'll happen...

Young Indy is just one of those things that gets forgotten by many for whatever reason

When in the world did number 4 come out? And what as in it? I could have sworn the last one I picked up was 3, the one with our own collector in it. I know it was $10 for it and it just came out a month ago. Unless I'm missing one I guess. I will have to look today if I make it to the book store.

The Magic Rat

Edward The Head said:
When in the world did number 4 come out? And what as in it? I could have sworn the last one I picked up was 3, the one with our own collector in it. I know it was $10 for it and it just came out a month ago. Unless I'm missing one I guess. I will have to look today if I make it to the book store.

I subscribe, so it comes on its own without me worrying :)