"Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark"

The new title on the DVD and video "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" is a bit of a mouthful compared to just "Raiders of the Lost Ark"...I think that the new title sounds silly...What do others think?

cheers

Obi-wan

westford

I've got a feeling this was discussed before, when the video box set was released, but since they're doing the same stupid thing with the DVDs... To me, Raiders will always be Raiders, no 'Indiana Jones and the'-type nonsense in there. But I suppose LucasFilm (or whover's behind the decision) feels that adding those extra 4 words clarifies what/who the film's about (for the poor souls who don't know, at least). Dumbing down, if you will. Or trying to bring it into line with the other films for some aesthetic reason. All a bit pointless if you ask me - they're not going to sell the films seperately, so it's not like someone's only going to buy ToD and LC thinking they're the only Indy films, is it? It's a weird move, whatever the reasoning behind it.

Gonzo

It was annoying for me because I was having a disagreement over my friend whether it was 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' (as I'd always known it) or 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders Of The Lost Ark', when he showed me the new video box in a shop I was defeated. I don't think he believed me it had the shorter title originally.

But it was originally just 'Raiders...', and the newer title is probably just for marketing purposes. It makes it part of the more familiar brand created by ToD and LC after it I guess.

HovitosKing

Yeah, I posted a very, very similar thread about a year or more ago when the box sets came out. I think it's stupid to have re-named the film.

Coldfyre

I've said it before in similar threads, but I think renaming it is absurd and obnoxious. The movie is legendary, and assuming people won't know it's got Indy in it unless it starts with "Indiana Jones and the" is just insulting to both the people and the movie.

Indy Jones

I actually realize it's stupidity and complete uselessness, but I like it. It kind of brings all 3 together, makes them feel complete. Plus, it makes it more believeable that it's the second film in the series. (Technically, it is) But if they were going to rename it, they should've called it: "Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark". But I'm not really complaining.

But I have a question: since this rename, have they touched up the film with this new title? Instead of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" at the beginning, is it now the new title? And in the "Indy" logo font? If so, did they do the same with Last Crusade to be in the Indy logo font?

MP3

Renderking Fisk said:
Just to cheese people off, I'm calling the other movies "Raiders of the Temple of Doom" and "Raiders of the Last Crusade".

Make that last one "Raiders of the Lost Dad" - it seems more fitting with the plot. ;)