Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #51
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
But there's really no difference between them otherwise. Just that one sentence. He says "No good sadistic" before being drugged whereas, the original he says the word, after he is drugged. The rest of the novel is the same.
Curious because mine is a 1st edition print (Febraury 1992) and it's the edited version!

pg. 169
Hasan had already promised to kill him, but Indy had never suspected it would
be by an overdose of drugs. "You no good sadistic...."

"This is for the sultans of old." Hasan stabbed the needle into his forearm.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #52
Tron7960
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones
Any of you guys ever go to Sunday School?

Catechism. But it was on a Monday !

Tron
Tron7960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #53
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Poor Martin Caiden. All he needed were a few F-bombs and he would have had... art!

Way to misconstrue the point.

The author/artist wrote something the way they did for a reason; it's their vision. You don't change their vision for your own selfish ends. Respect the vision or look elsewhere.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #54
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

I like indy swearing he sweared in Tod and it was awsome
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #55
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones
Any of you guys ever go to Sunday School?

I think the moment I stood up and said "If God created people, then who created God?", everyone realized I wasn't Sunday School material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVendetta17x
That's part of the reason Lucas created the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, To appeal to a younger audience and to educate

Except only part of it was made for a younger audience. A lot of the stuff with the older young Indy has a lot of violence and war politics. And then there's that Mata Hari episode... It seems the show was both too adult for children and too childish for adults.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #56
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
I like indy swearing he sweared in Tod and it was awsome

He's sworn in all three of them
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #57
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
I think the moment I stood up and said "If God created people, then who created God?", everyone realized I wasn't Sunday School material.

Except only part of it was made for a younger audience. A lot of the stuff with the older young Indy has a lot of violence and war politics. And then there's that Mata Hari episode... It seems the show was both too adult for children and too childish for adults.

Don't get me started on that episode! Whoops! Too late.

Seriously, I need to get a life....oh wait. I just need a boyfriend.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #58
DutchIndy
IndyFan

One of the most disturbing things is when Indy shoots a lot of Ozzie Aboriginals in one of the marvel comics. That truly shocked me.
DutchIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #59
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Well i'll be living in Australia in 9 Months
Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #60
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

I'm desperate to get out and you're looking forward to getting in. But hey, don't say I didn't warn you. If you have any questions about Australian life, just ask. There are a lot of Canadians who live here so you won't be lonely. I wished that I had asked more simple questions about the States before I went for a holiday. How was I to know that they order by numbers at McDonald's?

And DutchIndy, it's "Aussie" not "Ozzie" if you're refering to Australia, and not Ozzie Osbourne.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #61
Little Indy
IndyFan

Numbers are you kidding me. You give us too much credit. The menu has pictures so that you don't even have to speak anymore just point.
Little Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #62
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Quote:
I'm desperate to get out and you're looking forward to getting in. But hey, don't say I didn't warn you. If you have any questions about Australian life, just ask. There are a lot of Canadians who live here so you won't be lonely. I wished that I had asked more simple questions about the States before I went for a holiday. How was I to know that they order by numbers at McDonald's?

And DutchIndy, it's "Aussie" not "Ozzie" if you're refering to Australia, and not Ozzie Osbourne.
I guess it depends on what end of the Atlantic you're looking at it
And you don't have to order by the numbers it's just more convenient
And we don't have the Cafe's in McDonald's either
Old 04-08-2008, 02:31 AM   #63
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah but every time I ordered by the name of a meal, they couldn't understand what I was saying, no matter how loud I spoke. I guess my accent must be pretty thick.

Dad did point in the end, but they still mistook his order. They thought he wanted the "Bacon & Egg Biscuit" when he was ordering "Bacon & Egg McMuffin." We don't have biscuits like that in Australia so Dad was deadly confused about the whole thing. I worked out by then it was easier to order by numbers. Down here, everything's by name. We don't have numbers and pictures. In fact, they even forget to update the pictures, sometimes. The other problem was we often got served by Mexicans who didn't speak English too well... or so it seemed. But I digress.

You've heard about the McCafes? A lot of the Macca's down here have those. Oh and there is no filtered coffee in the cafes here like you guys have in the North Atlantic (which sucks coz I like that kind of coffee). All the cafe coffee here is milk-based, so if you're Lactose intolerant you might want to convert to tea.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #64
DutchIndy
IndyFan

Quote:

Well, actually I remember Aussie's writing Aussie as Ozzie. For real. (like: the Oz experience, the bus I, thank god, never took) (been there mate, although, of course, I don't live there )

Speaking of Maccy D's ... you guys have,like Hunger Busters and stuff right? Freakin huge ass menu's! Or am I confusing OZ with NZ now.. there are some people who like to EAT in NZ... oh boy!
DutchIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #65
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

I used to work at McDonald's and people ordering by the name of the meal is usually the norm
Maybe it's different in the states...
And yeah i've heard of the McCafe's found it on Wikipedia
And no i'm not Lactose intolerant I love milk to a point where I must be part cow or something, so Milk based coffee is perfectly fine by me
Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 AM   #66
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Hunger buster? First I've heard of it. Must be NZ. We don't have Supersize or anything similar either. Contrary to popular belief, Aussies are quite health conscious, and there would be outrage if there was anything like Hunger busters or Supersizing going on here. A lot of us work in offices and by the time we get home, the majority really just zaps something up in the microwave. That's where obesity comes in. It's pretty much because of the lack of exercise from being tired.

The other thing is a lot of Australian families insist that you eat everything on your plate, even if it makes you sick. Also whenever you go to a cheap all-you-can-eat, it's encouraged to eat 5 plates. That again contributes to the obesity thing. My family and I being of European descent don't agree with those philosophies and hence why I'm not morbidly obese.

Wikipedia's wonderful, isn't it? Look up MovieWorld and Fox Studios Australia while you're at it. Those are going to be mentioned a lot when you do film school here. Lucky you love milk. There's a huge push here to make Aussies drink milk all the time.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #67
Stoo
IndyFan

I could go for a double-cheeseburger with bacon right about now...

So, Violet (or anyone else), what is the printing date of your "Genesis Deluge" with the swearing?
Mine is a 1st edition printing (Feb. '92) and it's edited!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #68
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I could go for a double-cheeseburger with bacon right about now...

So, Violet (or anyone else), what is the printing date of your "Genesis Deluge" with the swearing?
Mine is a 1st edition printing (Feb. '92) and it's edited!

Mine is dated Feb.'92 also and it is unedited....They must have caught that really early then if it was edited within the same month.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #69
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Indy says shizit in the novelization of Raiders. It's when they're on the Bantu Wind and he comes out on deck to discover that they're surrounded by German Wolf Submarines.

Can't remember if he actually swears there in the film.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #70
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
Indy says shizit in the novelization of Raiders. It's when they're on the Bantu Wind and he comes out on deck to discover that they're surrounded by German Wolf Submarines.

Can't remember if he actually swears there in the film.
He does, he says "****" in every movie
I don't know how much i'll be able to eat
Suppose i'll have to test my limits :P
And yeah I already looked those up, they look cool!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #71
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Actually in truth, the reason why some have seen the sentence in the book and others who have read it have not, is because (and I have mentioned this before) the first edition of "Genesis Deluge" had the f word in it. If you have a later print or a re-print, you will not have the f word sentence. It is replaced by Indy getting gagged before he says the word. So if you have bought your copy recently of "Genesis Deluge", you will not have a problem.

Well, huh. I had no idea. One learns something new every day.

(This would be a good point to insert a joke about the extreme end of Lucas(film) revisionism, going all the way out to the licensed publications... ).

Are there any other alterations between different editions of any of the novels? I did know about a tiny handful of changes prior to publication for some of them, since typically (at least when they first came out, when I got mine) one book would have a little "teaser" excerpt from the next book in the series, and there are a handful of little changes here and there between the excerpted passages and the same passages in the final novels, but I didn't know of changes being made to any of the books after their original publication...
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #72
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Curious because mine is a 1st edition print (Febraury 1992) and it's the edited version!

pg. 169
Hasan had already promised to kill him, but Indy had never suspected it would
be by an overdose of drugs. "You no good sadistic...."

"This is for the sultans of old." Hasan stabbed the needle into his forearm.

Really? Hrrm, how interesting.

Is the logo on your cover embossed?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #73
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Oh, something just occurred to me - could there be regional differences? Perhaps Canada, say, has always had the 'clean' edition?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #74
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Well, huh. I had no idea. One learns something new every day.
That is the beauty of The Raven and we have Violet to thank for this particular factoid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Really? Hrrm, how interesting.

Is the logo on your cover embossed?

Oh, something just occurred to me - could there be regional differences? Perhaps Canada, say, has always had the 'clean' edition?
Exactly what I was thinking. (Which would be odd considering how lenient our censorship can be.
Not as liberal as Europe but...). Anyway, this is puzzling.

My cover is not embossed but inside, it says:
"Printed simulatneously in the United States and Canada"

(P.S. A friendly tip. Someone will most likely advise you not to double post
so I might as well do it now. Just lettin' ya know, my friend!)
Old 04-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #75
ResidentAlien

Quote:
That is the beauty of The Raven and we have Violet to thank for this particular factoid!
Exactly what I was thinking. (Which would be odd considering how lenient our censorship can be.
Not as liberal as Europe but...). Anyway, this is puzzling.

My cover is not embossed but inside, it says:
"Printed simulatneously in the United States and Canada"

(P.S. A friendly tip. Someone will most likely advise you not to double post
so I might as well do it now. Just lettin' ya know, my friend!)

How do you tell if it's a first edition? It doesn't say on the publishing page. Don't the string of numbers at the very bottom signify something? Mine are....

RAD 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3

My copy sounds exactly like your's, Stoo. And it's edited. I live in the US.... what gives?
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote