The Cradle of Civilization . . . .

Joe Brody

Says Who!?!?!

201.jpg

196.jpg

197.jpg

193.jpg

Is the reference to India being a 'cradle of civilization' in the KotCS trailer the nearest thing that we will ever see to an apology?

So what's the message about Indy saving the cradle of civilization? Praised-be that the someone from the West came
and saved the day in India? . . . .again? (nod to Captain Blumbert and High Empire).

[BTY, I'm Irish/Russian not Indian. I just feel the pain. It's like the coach says in Bend It Like Beckham: "Jess, I'm Irish. Of course I understand what that feels like."]

Last edited:

AHegele

I can only imagine the tag line is somewhat like the line in Spielberg's Schindler's List: Whoever saves one life saves the world eternal.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
What I find most dubious is the claim that India is the cradle of civilization. Indus Valley, yes, but usually Mesopotamia or even the Great Rift Valley get that moniker.

MattJones

Attila the Professor said:
What I find most dubious is the claim that India is the cradle of civilization. Indus Valley, yes, but usually Mesopotamia or even the Great Rift Valley get that moniker.

Yes, that's just what the Hebrews thought.

To be serious: I agree that usually the Fertile Crescent or Great Rift Valley is called the "Cradle of Life." To be completely honest: the one part that let me down in the trailer was the 'flashback montage.' I expected it, differently... mainly to focus on the REALITY of his exploits, and not tall tales of his adventures as presented by the trailer.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, someone "recalled" that the TOD part of the trailer was "He saved an entire civilization" or "He escaped from the Temple of Doom." Either of those are slightly more accurate than "He saved the Cradle of Civilization."

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
If we are to assume it's a reference to an earlier movie, it's the one tagline in the trailer that doesn't make sense at all. The remaining two, if you stretch your imagination a bit, do actually apply to all three of them. I wonder who came up with that.

To be honest, it was this line (apart from a rather vague wording) that made me think the leaked trailer description was a fake.

MattJones

Finn said:
If we are to assume it's a reference to an earlier movie, it's the one tagline in the trailer that doesn't make sense at all. The remaining two, if you stretch your imagination a bit, do actually apply to all three of them. I wonder who came up with that.

To be honest, it was this line (apart from a rather vague wording) that made me think the leaked trailer description was a fake.

My sentiments exactly.

Maybe.Not Today

I was a tad confused by this line in the trailer. but immediately forgot/ stopped caring once the fantastic footage from kotcs started. Plus, besides that one line, I personally really liked the way they handled the "flashback" part of the trailer.

Finn

Staff member
Skipper said:
Is there anything you guys won't overanalyze?
You know, we were kind of trained to that, trying to find all those little difference-making nuances in the hugely similar Indy IV updates we kept on receiving in the past years up until early 2007 which technically rocked our world.

We're relics, but it doesn't concern us - I'm sure Indy would prefer us this way.

Pale Horse

Staff member
You guys are looking at this all wrong. Indy needed to go to the Cradle of Civilization, because nothing says civility like huge crops of call centers that globalize the economy and unify the world.

484168094_438ec71c8d.jpg

It's the Tower of Bable all over, with one language

matrix_lg.jpg

...and all cause Indy freed the slave children.

With out them, how could I Alt + Shift + Right Arrow = to go to next document, then reboot Delete = brings up the task manager; close non-responding programs.......

I think the term means that he saved a place that is not as advanced as the West. A country that is beginning to grow in terms of technology.
Oh, I dunno. I'm off for a cup of tea. (Indian, of course).

sunshinestate1992

Im irish Too!! with italian and yugoslavian
but most people in america are irish anyway
my family came from ireland and italy in the early nineteen hundreds
and lived in new york and new jersey in teh depresion just like james braddack, and jack dempsey!

if he didnt deafeat the thuggee
kali would take over the world

he did save the cradle of civilization

Inbanana

Though I enjoyed the second half of the teaser, I thought the whole flashback part, with the "he protected the power of the divine", "he saved the cradle of civilization", "he triumphed over the armies of evil", along with the strange Dune music, all just seemed... a bit off...

Blue Jay

Inbanana said:
Though I enjoyed the second half of the teaser, I thought the whole flashback part, with the "he protected the power of the divine", "he saved the cradle of civilization", "he triumphed over the armies of evil", along with the strange Dune music, all just seemed... a bit off...

I thought that too, a tad too melodramatic, those are still adventure movies.

This is not Ghandi ;)

I still dont get the cradle of civilization....:confused:

MattJones

Inbanana said:

Ok, let's go through this step-by-step:

1. "He protected the power of the divine."
From WHO? Himself? If I remember correctly, the Ark was only in danger when INDIANA JONES had a bazooka aimed at it. After he stopped himself from blowing it up, all he did was close his eyes while the Divine killed the Nazis and turned them all into Popsicles on a hot day. Hardly protecting the power of the divine.

2. "Saved the Cradle of Civilization."
This dead horse has been beat as much as a rock squeezed of blood. This statement was just factually wrong.

3. "Triumphed over the armies of evil."
Indiana Jones singlehandedly beat the Nazis in 1938? So, what was WWII? The Holocaust? All the Nazis wanted with the Grail was to write themselves into the Legend of the Holy Grail: hardly a crushing blow against Berlin when it was unsuccessful.

So, basically, I love the trailer except for those three sentences.

MattJones said:
Ok, let's go through this step-by-step:

1. "He protected the power of the divine."
From WHO? Himself? If I remember correctly, the Ark was only in danger when INDIANA JONES had a bazooka aimed at it. After he stopped himself from blowing it up, all he did was close his eyes while the Divine killed the Nazis and turned them all into Popsicles on a hot day. Hardly protecting the power of the divine.

2. "Saved the Cradle of Civilization."
This dead horse has been beat as much as a rock squeezed of blood. This statement was just factually wrong.

3. "Triumphed over the armies of evil."
Indiana Jones singlehandedly beat the Nazis in 1938? So, what was WWII? The Holocaust? All the Nazis wanted with the Grail was to write themselves into the Legend of the Holy Grail: hardly a crushing blow against Berlin when it was unsuccessful.

So, basically, I love the trailer except for those three sentences.

I think we're meant to think that they were all personal triumphs.

Paul Michaels

There's a certain aura of mystique to each line. "Saved the Cradle of Civilization", which doesn't seem to ring true at all, comes off as as if it did.

It's the same way a advertisement will proclaim "Smoking is hazardous to your health," yet won't go into exact detail on why.

I think these were just broad generalizations.