LEAST favorite Indy film

Which is your least favorite Indy film?

• Total voters

Eric Solo

Hate to pick one, but Temple of DOOM. Although I did see it about 10 times in the theater. 11 year olds love to be grossed out I guess.:sick:

xVendetta17x

At least you're one of the lucky one's to see it in the theatre
Us young 'uns will be seeing our first Indy movie on the big screen come May 22

Grave Robber

I think Temple of Doom gets a bum wrap. Every time I watch it...its great. I mean yes if you look deep into the character and such things are a bit shaky, however the acting is great, the action is great, and the story is a bit different. Of course the stones wouldn't be as powerful an icon as the Ark, but for where they were (India) the stones were the equal to the Ark there; divine power from a higher entity.

I've heard people bash short round, but if you look at the other movies...Indy has to have his own personal R2-D2 handy to get him out of the tight spots (like Marion and Connery from the others). Plus they presented Shorty with a believable back story that affirmed his right to be there. (what happened to him after...I don't know). Plus he was needed for comical relief, which he did well.

And getting back to the action, I think the ending sequence to ToD is by far superior to the other two. You got Freeing the Children, Fighting the Temple Guard, Mine Car Chase, Escaping the Water Wall, and The Bridge Scene. NO BREAKS!! The action just keeps flowing! Whereas the others (Grail Scene and Ark Scene) yes they were powerful endings...but no where near held us on the edge of our seats as ToD.

I voted RotA because while it is the original with great scenes and storyline...I find myself not enjoying it as the other two, because ToD and LC each add an additional element to the storyline (Indy's Mercenary Side/Beginnings and Father/Son) which makes them more fun to watch.

Finally, the biggest complaint I've heard is that people don't like the darkness of ToD. The think its too much for the caliber of the Indy character and what he stands for. But if movies have shown us anything, and specifically I'm thinking of Empire Strikes Back, its that darker can be better, and that sometimes the best stories are where everything just goes to hell!

crowmagnumman

Which one do I like the least?

No way man. I don't even think in those terms. I love all three. I guess I could say I don't like the opening song to Temple of Doom, or the opening young Indy scene in Last Crusade. But both those movies are way too awesome later on and make up for anything I don't like in the beginning. Forget what I just said. Al three movies are perfect.

xVendetta17x

Grave Robber said:
I think Temple of Doom gets a bum wrap. Every time I watch it...its great. I mean yes if you look deep into the character and such things are a bit shaky, however the acting is great, the action is great, and the story is a bit different. Of course the stones wouldn't be as powerful an icon as the Ark, but for where they were (India) the stones were the equal to the Ark there; divine power from a higher entity.

I've heard people bash short round, but if you look at the other movies...Indy has to have his own personal R2-D2 handy to get him out of the tight spots (like Marion and Connery from the others). Plus they presented Shorty with a believable back story that affirmed his right to be there. (what happened to him after...I don't know). Plus he was needed for comical relief, which he did well.

And getting back to the action, I think the ending sequence to ToD is by far superior to the other two. You got Freeing the Children, Fighting the Temple Guard, Mine Car Chase, Escaping the Water Wall, and The Bridge Scene. NO BREAKS!! The action just keeps flowing! Whereas the others (Grail Scene and Ark Scene) yes they were powerful endings...but no where near held us on the edge of our seats as ToD.

I voted RotA because while it is the original with great scenes and storyline...I find myself not enjoying it as the other two, because ToD and LC each add an additional element to the storyline (Indy's Mercenary Side/Beginnings and Father/Son) which makes them more fun to watch.

Finally, the biggest complaint I've heard is that people don't like the darkness of ToD. The think its too much for the caliber of the Indy character and what he stands for. But if movies have shown us anything, and specifically I'm thinking of Empire Strikes Back, its that darker can be better, and that sometimes the best stories are where everything just goes to hell!

Well done sir, well done
I've always been a great advocate of Temple of Doom
I've always found it deeper and more meaningful then Crusade

IndyDawg100

Well, it's hard to pick least fav film. But, my hate is on TOD. I did like the beginning in shanghai, but then got bored:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: so i give it(n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) and:sick: :dead:. Oh, But I liked the heart ripping scene and the bridge scene

oki9Sedo

xVendetta17x said:
Blasphemy!
They're all perfect
And I refuse to hear otherwise

You're only saying that because its so engrained in your mind, and you even the faults because they're seeped in nostalgia.

If you were seeing it for the first time now, you might feel different.

Cagefighterkip

G-Man said:
I went for Temple, though I love it. It's kind of like being asked to choose your least favourite child.

I still think all three movies are brilliant. And Raiders is my number 1 movie of all time.
100% agreed

SKAbatula said:
First of all, you're crazy for picking Raiders as your least favorite!:p

Just kidding...we're all entitled to our own opinions...it's just that yours is wrong.;)

Yeah... :sleep: I know... LOL!! :D :D

xVendetta17x said:
That's not true I notice some mistakes

The point is not about the mistakes, it's about the feeling.
oki9Sedo said a very significant thing. And I totally second him.

oki9Sedo

The Stranger said:
The point is not about the mistakes, it's about the feeling. oki9Sedo said a very significant thing. And I totally second him.

Thanks Stranger.

I'm sure if I saw Raiders for the first time today I would absolutely love it, but I would criticize the somewhat flat third act (between the truck chase and the opening of the Ark).

xelaman

I Voted Raiders And I'm Proud Of It!!

lc was hilarious, an artifact i knew about and things i could say to my family at the time things like 'there were children in a crucade' and 'i reckon it's........that one'then a few minuits later 'i was rong:( ' so i cant say its rubbish now

tod i absolutly love-dark, scary, funny and great carecters and a good story

so, altthogh i love it, i have to go with rotla

xVendetta17x

The Stranger said:
The point is not about the mistakes, it's about the feeling.
If you read my earlier post you would see that I was totally defending Raiders
I was merely pointing out that I am not blinded by nostalgia

I'd have to say Last Crusade, simply because I find myself watching Raiders and TOD far far more.

I've always felt Last Crusade felt a bit, I dunno nineties, not as colourful as the other two, while I Love it, its just very tan and grey and yellow isn't it? I would have liked to see a jungle in their somewhere. (well that probably qualifies for the strangest critique of the board award)

Um. Its funny yeah, but, I've always found the ending a little duller then the other two too, I mean, its all so studio bound apart from the Petra stuff, and it just sorta gets old for me. Also, Temple of Doom is far more action packed, almost a rollercoaster of a movie once Indy gets the Black Sleep of Kali scorched outta him, its just far more athletic.. and more youthful, I guess...

As for Raiders, well, I love Raiders, Raiders is the most like a REAL movie for me, dunno why, but its just classic. So I can't even view it objectively, plus the truck chase is probably my favourite sequence in any movie EVER..

Darth Vile

Bottom line is that this is all subjective. We all have our reasons, and whilst it's very intersting to see what they are, it's just a very personal thing.

My assumption would be that the majority of us posting here are Indiana Jones fans rather than just Raiders or Temple of Doom fans... so we're probably the last people to give ojective opinion on the quality of the movies. That said, as someone did post earlier, it's like choosing a least favourite child ;)

Also, Jeremiah Jones - I agree that the movies do reflect the decades they were made (just like the Star Wars movies). Last Crusade is very "tan" as you put it (apart from perhaps the motorcycle chase), but I'd argue that it's a lot less studio bound that Temple of Doom, which largely takes place in a mock up cavern/cave and only has one real set piece that's not a studio i.e. the rope bridge.

xVendetta17x

The problem with Crusade is that it's just a chase movie directly after the Jones' get caught
It's just one thing after another and doesn't give time for the characters to rest and establish things

oki9Sedo

xVendetta17x said:
The problem with Crusade is that it's just a chase movie directly after the Jones' get caught
It's just one thing after another and doesn't give time for the characters to rest and establish things

What about when Indy and Henry Sr. talk after the motorcycle chase, or when they talk in the zeppelin?

I used to adore Last Crusade. I thought it beat the crap out of the others. But, something changed. I now see it as dull, despite the action.

herr gruber said:
I used to adore Last Crusade. I thought it beat the crap out of the others. But, something changed. I now see it as dull, despite the action.

You and me both.

I grew up on it. It was my first Indy experience at the age of 4. It just really doesn't hold up. Pale rehash of the first and with the unfortunate back story angle.

I've been watching The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. lately and Boam really did everything there that he should have done with LC. It sticks to the pulpy dime-store tone that the original two Indy films had. There's no gratuitous, sentimental rationalizing. Sure, Brisco's father's murder looms behind each story, but it's never focused upon. It's an impetus, not a story in and of itself. The character remains mysterious, his whole past isn't spelled out. It's merely cliffhanger after cliffhanger much like Raiders and Temple.