TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Newbie Forum
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
Aino
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Just moved home to Boston
Posts: 16
hola, moi, dia duit, guten tag, terve, hei, hello, etc...

Not sure what to write here, Ummm sooo just introducing myself.... If anyone wants any information all they must do is ask but since i don't know where to start the only info i will give here is: hello.
Aino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,950
Hello hello.

We do know now that you apparently speak English. That's a start.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Isn't 'Dia duit' Irish?
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Isn't 'Dia duit' Irish?
It could also be an order on the Starbucks counter with your mouth full of donuts.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Aino
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Just moved home to Boston
Posts: 16
Dia Duit is Irish

it is essentially meaning something like "god at you" (literally speaking) It is a standard greeting like, "hello." The common and amusing response is Dias muire duit. (literally meaning God and Mary at you too aka good day hello yourself.) It gets disturbing however when many irish gaelic speaking irish people get together because then they start throwing in the saints. sooo the next one might say "dias muire agus St. Patrick duit." and then if there is a fourth he might throw in an agus St. Peter while also reiterating mary and ofcourse St. Patrick... etc....
Aino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aino
it is essentially meaning something like "god at you" (literally speaking) It is a standard greeting like, "hello." The common and amusing response is Dias muire duit. (literally meaning God and Mary at you too aka good day hello yourself.) It gets disturbing however when many irish gaelic speaking irish people get together because then they start throwing in the saints. sooo the next one might say "dias muire agus St. Patrick duit." and then if there is a fourth he might throw in an agus St. Peter while also reiterating mary and ofcourse St. Patrick... etc....

I am Irish! Alas, I lost the native tongue long, long ago...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Aino
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Just moved home to Boston
Posts: 16
for fan!

ofcourse i speak english. do i look like a vitun hurri to you, Finn (suomalainen)?! I am not tall enough blue eyed enough nor am i blond enough and i don't even know how to hold a hockey stick let alone make a never ending slew of lucky shots resulting in the eternal butt kicking of your hockey team, Finn. Lastly i don't have a hurri accent on words like 'perkele', i have an american one. (Which might actually be worse, that Finnish R seems to have more sizu than all the finns in finland combined and is therefore a nightmare to wrap one's tongue around....) Oh and another reason we know i am not a swede, the idea of easter witches confuses and kinda disturbs the life out of me. Now, i am going to eat some salmiakki while i drink some Glögi (yeh i know it isn't Xmas yet... but... it has alcohol in it who can really blame me??? koskenkorva anyone???) While i make myself some Mämmi for later... If you say "kiitos" and beg i may just share.

I may be multi lignual and an american citizen but i am a finnish patriot. mina rakastan Finland.
Aino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Aino
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Just moved home to Boston
Posts: 16
I am of irish descent

My grandfather was born in Eire, he grew up there. The only reason i speak it at all is because he has spent the last 28 years pretending not to understand anything i say unless i use the old language. It drives me nutz actually. But hey being an irish american folk singer with a degree in archaeology in Boston studying for a masters in egyptology it has been known to come in handy in some of the old irish pubs every now and again.

I am sorry you have lost your language. It is a part of your heritage. You should maybe if it interests you try to take it back a bit. After all for the longest time speaking Irish was a crime in your country courtesy of the british crown idiocy and good old satanic Cromwell running around masquerading as a christian burning all the seanchai harps. May his soul eternally rot in helvete. (and i don't mean the town in Norway.) amen. (in the name of the condom, the pill and the abortion. i can't abide christianity.... sorry)
Aino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aino
do i look like a vitun hurri to you, Finn (suomalainen)?!
Actually, I have no idea what you look like...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aino
I am not tall enough blue eyed enough nor am i blond enough
That's enough proof you're not a Norwegian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aino
and i don't even know how to hold a hockey stick let alone make a never ending slew of lucky shots resulting in the eternal butt kicking of your hockey team, Finn.
Don't hold back. They're one of the biggest producers of silverware in Europe... doesn't diminish my love to the game though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aino
Lastly i don't have a hurri accent on words like 'perkele', i have an american one. (Which might actually be worse, that Finnish R seems to have more sizu than all the finns in finland combined and is therefore a nightmare to wrap one's tongue around....)
Like your looks, I have no idea what your accent is either. Your punctuation however...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aino
Oh and another reason we know i am not a swede, the idea of easter witches confuses and kinda disturbs the life out of me.
People trying to convince me one is not a Swede when I made no implication to that direction kinda confuses the life out of me. Unless, of course, one IS a Swede.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aino
Now, i am going to eat some salmiakki while i drink some Glögi (yeh i know it isn't Xmas yet... but... it has alcohol in it who can really blame me??? koskenkorva anyone???) While i make myself some Mämmi for later... If you say "kiitos" and beg i may just share.
There must not be a lot of saunas around as it's missing from the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aino
I may be multi lignual and an american citizen but i am a finnish patriot.
At least one of us is then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aino
mina rakastan Finland.
Well, I'm not stopping you.

P.S. I'm a nice guy in reality. Don't tell anyone.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
Aino
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Just moved home to Boston
Posts: 16
hahaha

You make some good points Finn. my punctuation is terrible but hey it's a forum. Not an academic paper and i waste so much time being good that way that bla.... i can't be arsked.

As for spending too much time making a point i am not a swede.... Sorry, i spend alot of time in Finland. It is actually a joke with some of my finnish friends and family. But i am actually of irish descent.

Nice guy? Nice enough to build me that sauna you mentioned? You are right there are not enough of them around here.
Aino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Ska
IndyFan
 
Ska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,438
Wow I understood about half of this thread.

Look forward to not understanding more, Aino! hehe

Welcome to the boreds (misspelled on purpose).
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
IndySeven
IndyFan
 
IndySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 872
Welcome to the Raven!
IndySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
windgirlcruse
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 51
welcome to The Raven.
windgirlcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.