Customizing Indy Figures

Lance Quazar

Continuing my exploration of criminally unmade major characters, here's my take on the dullest villain in the original trilogy, Walter Donovan.

I may one day decide to replace the head with a modified General Veers head, but I don't have the time to tackle that just now.

I think this Imperial officer head works fine, except for the terrible paint apps on one of his eyes. He has this creepy, "evil eye" kind of look to him. Sigh.

Full recipe:

Torso/arms: Toht
Head: SW Imperial officer from multi-pack (can't remember name)
Skirt: SW Rebel Honor Guard
Upper Legs: SW Comic Pack Thrawn
Lower Legs: IJ German soldier

unfortunately, because the Toht torso is slightly short (made up for with VERY long legs), this character is just a smidgen shorter than I'd like. Before I swapped the German lower legs and was using full Thrawn legs, he was laughably short, he looked like a little kid next to Indy.

Donovan1.jpg

Donovan2.jpg

baddeaths.jpg

Luke Sprywalker

Lance that looks great! I love this figure, great recipe and glad to see the finished product. The paint aps look good, all done with a brush, right? The only suggestion I have would be to pop it apart, take the skirt off and put a spacer between it and the legs. If you have any plastic or rubber just a bit thicker than the gap, cut it down to fit inside the skirt. Then pop it back together and it will be tight at the waist. The gap is the only thing a bit distracting. Good to see more of your work and the continued effort to complete the line with major characters.

Lance Quazar

Luke Sprywalker said:
Lance that looks great! I love this figure, great recipe and glad to see the finished product. The paint aps look good, all done with a brush, right? The only suggestion I have would be to pop it apart, take the skirt off and put a spacer between it and the legs. If you have any plastic or rubber just a bit thicker than the gap, cut it down to fit inside the skirt. Then pop it back together and it will be tight at the waist. The gap is the only thing a bit distracting. Good to see more of your work and the continued effort to complete the line with major characters.

Thanks Kevin and Spry.

Spry, that is an EXCELLENT suggestion and I will definitely give it a shot! Fortunately (or unfortunately), the torso and pelvis don't really "snap" together, so I can easily take the figure apart without needing to boil it.

The paint aps look better in these pics than in person.

Despite my best efforts, I always seem to end up with one or two "chunky" areas. Oh, well.... :)

Luke Sprywalker

Lance, I hear you about the chunky areas. To avoid that I thin my paint(cheap walmart stuff) with water. As layers dry I add a drop of water between coats and stir it again as it dries up pretty fast.

I bought this donkey a few weeks back as I want to add him to my ROTLA collection. I am working on the 2 guides that get scared and run away in the beginning of ROTLA and this is one of the donkeys that carries their supplies. I spent about an hour making the beginning of his pack. It is loosely based on the 1 donkey you see in the opening scene but I am not worried about accuracy with him. I will repaint him and add a few more details to finish him up. So here is Donkey and the 2 guides will be up next.

DSC_0010-9.jpg

DSC_0008-7.jpg

DSC_0005-15.jpg

DSC_0004-12.jpg

If anyone has the VLC program and has captured any pics of the guides walking with Indy in the opening scene I would love to see them.

Lance Quazar

Luke Sprywalker said:
Lance, I hear you about the chunky areas. To avoid that I thin my paint(cheap walmart stuff) with water. As layers dry I add a drop of water between coats and stir it again as it dries up pretty fast.

Another piece of great advice, thanks!

That donkey is awesome, is it Schleich? Can't wait to see the finished pack, the in progress pieces look terrific. What a great idea!!! Can't wait to see more from you!!!

Luke Sprywalker

Thanks Lance and yes it is from that line. They have the coolest animals. I have the African Elephant also, and was lucky enough to find a large generic Elephant for Willy at a thrift store yesterday.

pipecito2112YYZ

inky_skin said:
Okay, while not the greatest fan of KotCS, I did like the character of Mac. Interesting backstory, slightly shady, cool costume. Therefore I figured a custom was due as I think he should have replaced one of the alternate Mutt Williams slots in the official wave.

This shot is a WIP, showing the sculpted elements I've added to the basic parts...

3606321599_5d0e26c4d5.jpg

The base is mostly Indy and Captain Antilles. More pics when the paint apps are complete.

one word...

(y) AWESOME!!!! :gun:

Luke Sprywalker

I would make a base for it and repaint it to start with. More ideas may develope as you work on it. It makes a great generic background, or you could just send it to me...

Udo Kar

That really seems like I have seen that in the old Crystar toy line, hmmm. Anyway I would begin a temple or cave diorama with it.

Luke Sprywalker

I have been working on a few commissions and the Jungle guides along with a few SW customs since my last post. Traffic has been kinda slow here in the customs section, I though I would see more customs here with so many figures available at discount stores. Hey Inky have you done anything with the awesome WIP's you have posted? I would love to see those finished! So Guido aka guide number 1 is done. I may go back and do a wash on the shorts then dry brush the worn areas with white to make them look even older and more worn out. Here are a few pics, the first shows the sculpted hats for both guides, then our friend Guido.

DSC_0004-13.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Lance Quazar

This is a MASTERPIECE, Spry. Your best one yet???? Quite possibly.

This is an incredible figure, absolutely amazing. The detail, the accessories, the hat, the tunic.....I'm blown away. Wow.

Please post a recipe when you get a chance. Meanwhile, let me try to heft my jaw from off the floor....

Luke Sprywalker

Thanks guys and the recipe is TPM Obi Wan head with sculpted beanie, Mutt torso, KOTCS Indy arms, upper legs and shoes, KOTCS Ugha Warrior lower legs. I dremeled the shorts to make them look torn/worn out. The soft goods came out pretty good, I have been working with different materials to get it to cling to the figure a bit. The funny thing is this guy is wearing Tommy Hilfiger soft goods. I finally found a good use for the tightey whitey underwear my mom gave me last Christmas. That's right his top shirt is made from Tommy underwear...unused. Anyway thanks for the good reviews on him as my goal for the last few months have been to put out Hot Toys quality figures at the 3 3/4 inch scale. Juakeen or guide #2 will be up next...

inky_skin

Mr Sprywalker - lovin' that Peruvian guide ! You get my official "Most Improved Customiser Award" for 2009.

I'm pretty much out of the game here, but your updates still make me tune in to the forums...

Luke Sprywalker

ROTLA Jungle Guide

My second Peruvian Guide is just about done and I cut my fingers last week and need to let them heal before I move them too much. I figured I would update with a WIP since there is not much else I can do. He looks a bit odd without the top shirt but when it is done it should work out OK.

DSC_0011-13.jpg

DSC_0012-8.jpg