Petition to publish Staff of Kings novelization!

yodazone

RedeemedChild said:
And why not?

Here is the official Star Wars Manga licened by George Lucas and Lucasfilm.

swmeb1.jpg

If Star Wars is good enough to have manga so is Indiana Jones. Not only is an Indiana Jones manga a good idea but it would also serve as a good marketing strategy because it would help to draw more diversity in the Indiana Jones fanbase by attracting manga readers who currently might not have an interest in Indiana Jones.

That was a great series of Manga books. Indy would be a good fit for manga adaptations of the movies.

I could go for a "Temple of Doom" Manga Adaptation...

(y)

Jono11

RedeemedChild said:
If Star Wars is good enough to have manga so is Indiana Jones.
I think the question is not, "Is something good enough to be mangafied," so much as, "Is something bad enough to mangafied." Star Wars was cruelly, brutally, undeservedly mangafied. I won't stand by and watch Indiana Jones be mistreated in the same way. We're running out of things that haven't whored themselves out to trendy fake-manga concepts so hipsters and pre-teens can buy them and pretend they're cultured. Un-mangafied franchises are a precious natural resource to be defended.

Indy's Fist

And the Indy fans get snubed again! God damn these people! Why is it that we don't get a new Indy novel?! Who is in charge of all this stuff?!

This is why it is damned frustrating to be an Indy fan!

Lance Quazar

Indy's Fist said:
And the Indy fans get snubed again! God damn these people! Why is it that we don't get a new Indy novel?! Who is in charge of all this stuff?!

This is why it is damned frustrating to be an Indy fan!

I think this is just another sign that, frustrating though it may be to hardcore fans, the Indy franchise as a whole just doesn't have legs.

Whether it's the Hasbro figures, or Tomb of the Gods, or a SoK novelization, the general public just doesn't seem terribly interested in ancillary Indy product of any kind.

The franchise isn't Star Wars, which is a one of a kind phenomenon, appealing to nearly every generation of kids.

It's also not like a superhero character like Batman that can be reinvented periodically to stay current and refresh people's interests.

Despite the commercial success of KOTCS, there's no arguing that the film received a mixed reception.

But even if the film was more beloved, I think the franchise still is very much a product of its time.

And that time, sadly, has passed.

Kids don't care, adult geeks have fond memories, but very little interest in keeping the franchise alive and current.

Who knows, maybe WAY down the line, someone will reinvent Indy a la the new "Star Trek" film. But until that day comes - if it comes at all - I think overall Indy interest from the general public has all but faded away.

This is just the latest sign. I really think there is almost no future to Indiana Jones. It's glory days are long gone.

tocksic

Lance Quazar said:
I think this is just another sign that, frustrating though it may be to hardcore fans, the Indy franchise as a whole just doesn't have legs.

Whether it's the Hasbro figures, or Tomb of the Gods, or a SoK novelization, the general public just doesn't seem terribly interested in ancillary Indy product of any kind.

The franchise isn't Star Wars, which is a one of a kind phenomenon, appealing to nearly every generation of kids.

It's also not like a superhero character like Batman that can be reinvented periodically to stay current and refresh people's interests.

Despite the commercial success of KOTCS, there's no arguing that the film received a mixed reception.

But even if the film was more beloved, I think the franchise still is very much a product of its time.

Kids don't care, adult geeks have fond memories, but very little interest in keeping the franchise alive and current.

Who knows, maybe WAY down the line, someone will reinvent Indy a la the new "Star Trek" film. But until that day comes - if it comes at all - I think overall Indy interest from the general public has all but faded away.

This is just the latest sign. I really think there is almost no future to Indiana Jones. It's glory days are long gone.

031.jpg

Indy's Fist

Lance Quazar said:

Seems like there has never been too much interest in Indy. The toys have always flopped. Seems the only times Indy has marketing success is during the release of a movie like last year, then it's only marginal. But the cancelation of a book that is finished is a f**king slap in my face!

The movie opened during a world wide financial downturn, which we still have yet to recover from. The toys suffered from a combination of problems. From bad paint jobs to uninspired and stupid set peices. The economy kept me from picking up all that I wanted, and still want.

They just never had their heart in it.

How about these ideas?

Many action figure sport an array of different Guns, gunner stations machine guns...you guys even made the whip. Have you considered an Indiana Jones Nerf Blaster? Edison Giocattoli makes unbelievably beautiful cap guns and replicas that shoot soft rubber gummy bullets, how about a cap gun?!?

A Grail Knight Costume and a "singing sword" and shied with the writing on it would be cool too, I could use that to knock the Nerf darts out of the air instead of a light saber...a holster for the N-Strike would be cool too! While we're at it a shoulder holster...dual shoulder holsters!

Will I be able to get my own Kali Initiation Chalice with cool shrunken head top?

Crystal Skull night light?
Burning Heart night light?
Wall Mount Torch night light? With flickering or constant light settings.

Tonka makes some simple but cool remote control dump trucks with two speed settings and dumping action that retail around $20. Remote control Military Vehicles for Indy to commandeer and to crash through things in the sand box or a remote control Tank, (and the Jungle cutter), with sounds would be cool for the sand box/ beach/ living room!

Large and small scale. Radio Shack had a big hit with Zip Zaps which were a small size remote control, and Radio Shack aint Hasbro.

For the beach crowd...a Beach Bag shaped like an old over sized Army Gas Mask Bag with "archeology gear" inside: maybe collapsible shovel, brush, sifter, some kind of "tools" for shaping a sand castle, some molds for making ancient ruins or relics made of sand, flashlight to walk the beach at night...etc with pockets inside to hold each item, or not...

Military Style Sleeping Bags or Native Indian Type Blankets with a subtle Indiana Jones logo somewhere in a corner.

Here's an easy arts and crafts item...chalk and paper for rubbings.

I've seen the Arc Fighter, the Tie Advanced and Grevious' Wheel Bike, how about the Flying Wing !!!

I've seen the small scale titanium vehicles, how about the Adventure Heroes Indy and his dad on the motorcycle w sidecar?

Indy and Jock Adventure Heroes in the Air Pirates Pontoon Plane?
Adventure Heroes Indy and German Soldier Truck fight...collapsible window, could be recycled into the Russian Truck Fight, Jungle Cutter! Tank Fight
Adventure Heroes motorcycles, Mutt and Indy and Mutts Motorcycle, Germans and Motorcycles (like the star wars speeder bikes)
Last Crusade Circus Train Play set, with the exaggerated animals...etc
You've made the Ark Ghost...(COOL!) How about the Crystal Alien?

Indy and Mac in the Trunk of a Car or Indy in a Fridge Adventure Heroes, (joke).

More monkeys!

A Nerf Fertility Idol similar to a Nerf Football might make a cool new keep away type game " throw me the idol "

Shankara Stones that would make a whooshing whirling noise when in close proximity to one another would be a cool sort of Marco Polo type pool game.

An Indiana Jones yellow life raft inflatable pool float, and a bag to store it i that looks like a crate.

A toy box that opens into a play set, like the kind when we were kids, fold it up when you're done.

A slot car type racing game with mine carts...with expandable tracking and hazards that might knock you off the track, targets that could be triggered to knock characters out of the carts or eject them or the carts.

Evil Kenevil had an action figure on a stunt motorcycle with a rip cord that would power it...perfect for Mutt!

An inflatable Wille Bop Bag! THAT would sell! Crystal Skull Ice Cube Trays!

Last edited:

Goonie

Rocket Surgeon said:
Evil Kenevil had an action figure on a stunt motorcycle with a rip cord that would power it...perfect for Mutt!

Burger king had the rip cord powered Mutt.

The petition is up at 107 signatures now.

I'm also going to post the link on http://www.mania.com

Indy's Fist

I really liked the Hasbro figures. Far better than the old Kenner & LJN ones. I think that Hasbro needed better marketing of the figures to be totaly successful.

RedeemedChild

yodazone said:
That was a great series of Manga books. Indy would be a good fit for manga adaptations of the movies.

I could go for a "Temple of Doom" Manga Adaptation...

(y)

I'm with you brother! I'd buy a Temple of Doom manga right now if it were on the newsstands in Books A Million.

I also would love to see a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull manga drawn by Stan Lee the legendary comic master mind behind the timeless Spider-Man and who is now launching a powerful new manga known as Karakuridōji Ultimo. If Stan Lee created an Indiana Jones manga drawn in the same style as Ultimo it would be a massive hit with manga fans.

Lance Quazar I also agree with what you've said, however I believe that Indiana Jones is not dead. Don't underestimate Indiana Jones. I am still rooting for a 5th movie and I know that an animated television series is being planned from various sources that I've read online and I think that it done right it will be as successful as Naruto or Star Wars The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. I am hoping that the creators and animators of Ben10 and Teen Titans are the ones working on this rumored animated Indiana Jones program.

Goonie

They need to start work on a new movie immediately: Fanboys Episode II: Attack of the Indy Fans :D . The plot could be something like Indy fans go attack the Skywalker Ranch or something. This would of course be followed-up by Fanboys Episode III: Revenge of the Indy Fans. ;)

Jono11

I think Rocket Surgeon is right, but in a different way. I'm pretty sure that the time is perfect for ironic 80s-ish/90s-ish toys. Let's bring back the toys of yesterday. Toys that had some balls. Remember that three-foot long T-Rex that came out for The Lost World? Remember those sprawling Star Wars playsets? And some of RockSurg's other ideas feel right at home in the ToysRUs of yesteryear. Kitschy, but also genuinely cool and fun. I think the market would always lean a little bit more toward the fanboy and the hipster, but kids would buy it too.

There's more money in Indiana Jones. If DC Direct can release a Blue Beetle action figure, LucasFilm can release a Staff of Kings novelization.

Nurhachi1991

Jono11 said:
I think the question is not, "Is something good enough to be mangafied," so much as, "Is something bad enough to mangafied." Star Wars was cruelly, brutally, undeservedly mangafied. I won't stand by and watch Indiana Jones be mistreated in the same way. We're running out of things that haven't whored themselves out to trendy fake-manga concepts so hipsters and pre-teens can buy them and pretend they're cultured. Un-mangafied franchises are a precious natural resource to be defended.

Wow I have never agreed more

Manga is only popular in the U.S. "so hipsters and pre-teens can read it and think that they are cultured"

Truer words were never spoken man (y)

That sucks about the Indy novel getting scraped again...... Maybe 4 years from now they will release it :rolleyes:

lao che & sons

This novel is what makes a canon indiana jones and the staff of kings story. What I mean by that is this book would show what the movie or comicbook would be like. I really wanted to see if the novel was goiong to be the co-op mode story or the single player story:(

I hope this petition changes someones mind about not producing this book:)

Goonie

I posted a note about the petition in the Indy Cast thread. Hopefully Ed will read it before he wraps up the episode for June 6, and mention it in the upcoming Indy Cast episode.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Y'know, the pictures are fun, and I'm wild for Rocket Surgeon's ideas (seriously), but Goonie's got the best idea of all - getting back to the petition, and the topic.

DocWhiskey

I just e-mailed the Indycast with a link to the petition and facebook page. Hopefully this will get out.