Official Indiana Jones fedora questions.

Tennessee R

Ordering Akubra on Sunday, Please Help...

Hello, well, I'm ordering an Akubra, finally!
I'm in a little bit of a rush because I want it before I go to Israel in about three weeks, and I have a few questions.

#1 What is the difference between the Federation and the Federation Deluxe? And which should I get?

#2 Do they shrink any, do they come spot-on size, or are they sized a little one way or the other?

#3 Just to make sure: I will ask for 'Mid Brown'?

#4 Is there anything special I should ask for? (Band, etc. anything at all?)

#5 Would you suggest ordering online or over phone

I've really only got one chance at this, and want to make sure I get it right.

Thank y'all so much for your help!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
  1. The Deluxe has better felt quality and a different liner. The Regular Fed is fine if you're on a budget.
  2. They might shrink a bit, but they usually run a bit large. If you're in between sizes get a larger one, you can use the foam tape that comes with it to adjust the size.
  3. Yeah.
  4. Nope.
  5. Online works fine, they answer quickly to emails. Also calling overseas might cost a bit.
Also get a fast shipping, the cheapest one took exactly three weeks to get to Finland.

Tennessee R

VP said:
  1. The Deluxe has better felt quality and a different liner. The Regular Fed is fine if you're on a budget.
  2. They might shrink a bit, but they usually run a bit large. If you're in between sizes get a larger one, you can use the foam tape that comes with it to adjust the size.
  3. Yeah.
  4. Nope.
  5. Online works fine, they answer quickly to emails. Also calling overseas might cost a bit.
Also get a fast shipping, the cheapest one took exactly three weeks to get to Finland.

I will get the air-shipping through Hats Direct. Probably the Regular for the work trip.
Thank you.

Indiana_Tone

There's nothing wrong with the Regular Fed from Hatsdirect. Matter of fact, the spongey, rabbit texture of the Fed Regular felt looks very much like the hat in many scenes. Without question, if you're looking for the perfect Raiders block, the AdventureBilt is the hat to get; but your choice on the Akubra is solid. That hat holds up and then some. The block is not as good as the AB (slight taper) and if you can look past that, you have a fedora that will not let you down and still looks good! You picked a great fedora to travel with.

Incidentally, did you get the Federation or the Federation Deluxe? It sounds like you went with the regular but it's hard to be sure.

Good news is that both times I ordered a Federation, it arrived within four business days. That's speedy.

Tennessee R

I ordered the Akubra Federation Regular, Tuesday (I think).
I got the $35 USD shipping, (the next to fastest), and ended up with something like a $104 bill.

Am looking forward to it. From what everyone has said, I think I'm going to be happy with this. Especially since I'm working in an archaeological excavation in the rather dusty Jerusalem. Working with dirt. Yep, I don't want an expensive one.....
YET ;)

Indiana_Tone

Tennessee, please be sure to let us know how it holds up out there. Oh, and it'll be good to hear your own thoughts on the hat when it arrives, too. :D

Gustav

Tennessee R said:
I ordered the Akubra Federation Regular, Tuesday (I think).
I got the $35 USD shipping, (the next to fastest), and ended up with something like a $104 bill.

Am looking forward to it. From what everyone has said, I think I'm going to be happy with this. Especially since I'm working in an archaeological excavation in the rather dusty Jerusalem. Working with dirt. Yep, I don't want an expensive one.....
YET ;)

What are you excavating? I would like to go.

Tennessee R

We are working with the IAA, (Israel Antiquities Authority) doing an archaeological excavation in Jerusalem, Israel. We know there is Roman ruins, and tons of valuable artifacts right there, so we plan to uncover them on this trip.

If you are interested, you can send me an e-mail, or go to www.wyattmuseum.com and send them an e-mail.

You'd have to let me know very soon, the trip is in the next few weeks.

We've already got about 60 volunteers, and need all the help we can get.

Anyway, don't know if you would be interested in what we're doing, but just wanted to let you know. Like I said, if you want more info, get my e-mail address off of my profile, and send me one.

Also,
they said they shipped the hat the 5th. I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. ;)

Gustav

How much would it cost to get there and how long would this excavation last? If it's within my price range you've got another volunteer.

Tennessee R

Around $3700 USD for 3 weeks, probably, (Could be several hundred dollars less or more, I'm really not doing the money matters) which includes airfare from New York to Israel, Hotels, Breakfast and Dinner, Transportation to-and from the work site, pretty much everything except lunch and souvenirs. It leaves August the 9th, returning around the last day or so of August.

You could go on the month-and-one-week trip, but it would cost more, and you may not be able to get off for that amount of time.

If you are still interested, please give us a call at 931 area code 293-4745.

We'd need to know wich trip you are interested in, and also would like just to talk to you, answer any questions, etc.

You'd only have a day or so to think about it, because after you get much closer to departure time, the airfare may go up drastically.

Anyway, I haven't had much oppertunity to talk with you here, but I'm sure it would be a pleasure to have you along.

Gustav

I really doubt I could scrape that much money together in time. How often do you guys do this kind of thing? If I can't go this time I will most likely have the dough power to make the next one. Anyway, I'll give you guys a call because I have a few questions too.