Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead

DIrishB

Actually, I think this is the Rob MacGregor novel. On his site the Indy book he's working on mentioned it was supposed to be released in April or Spring of 2009. This one is coming out April 28, 2009. I'm almost positive they're one and the same. I'm sure within a month or two his name will be added as the author on the Amazon page, and we'll probably even see cover artwork by January 2009 at the latest.

My biggest question is what the story will be about and when it will take place. Other than that, can't wait to read it!

Stoo

Thanks for the news, Arab Swordsman.(y) The title reminds me of this story.
Indy à la Jason and the Argonauts.:dead:

33MagicSMALL.jpg

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm just hoping that they didn't really screw up and have MacGregor write about yet another trip to Shi Huangdi's tomb...that would be an Army of the Dead, after all.

Dr.Sartorius

Well, it looks like Steve Perry is writing the new book - not Rob McGregor. :(

The good news is its going to involve Indy's pre-KOTCS adventures with Mac:

Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead

There's no rest for the weary treasure hunter, but that's how Indiana Jones likes it. Fresh from spying for the Allies in the thick of World War II Germany, the globe-trotting archaeologist doesn't need much persuading to join his cohort "Mac" McHale in searching for one of the most coveted of artifacts: the fabled black pearl known as the Heart of Darkness. But the partners in adventure are not alone on their foray into the mysterious jungles of Haiti. German and Japanese agents are in hot pursuit, determined to possess the ebony artifact -- and its secrets -- for their own sinister purposes. And shadowing them all is an infamous voodoo priest, with powers of both diabolical science and black magic at his command.

On a treacherous odyssey across the Island of the Dead, where the legend of zombi looms large, spiders, snakes, and booby-traps will prove the least of Indy's challenges. And capturing the prize will be child's play compared with confronting an enemy unlike any other, whose numbers are legion and nearly impossible to kill -- because they're already dead...

The Indiana Jones adventure continues with a new, original tale from bestselling author Steve Perry. It will be available from Del Rey Books in May 2009.

http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/news200809018.html

indyclone25

i might be a bit off ,but why post it on star wars website when they could have posted it on the indiana jones website

DIrishB

Dr.Sartorius said:
Well, it looks like Steve Perry is writing the new book - not Rob McGregor. :(

The good news is its going to involve Indy's pre-KOTCS adventures with Mac:

http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/news200809018.html

Cool. But Rob MacGregor is also writing a new Indy book (unless the blurb on his site is no longer valid or correct news). So either there are two new upcoming Indy books (this one by Perry, and one by MacGregor); or originally MacGregor was going to write it, but instead Perry did; or MacGregor was merely advertising the Army of the Dead book by Perry on his site: his site says: "Look for a totally new Indy adventure in early '09"...it doesn't necessarily say he's writing it, though its easy to assume that given its posted on his site and nowhere else, and has written previous Indy novels.

I'm gonna fire Mr. MacGregor an email and ask him. Hopefully he'll be able to answer.

Very excited for this book. Always wanted more Indy tales set during WWII. Since I can't read German (most of Hohlbein's novels take place during WWII), and there's only a few other WWII era Indy tales, I'm really looking forward to this.

Of course, I look forward to any new Indy tales. :)

Last edited:
To paraphrase MacGyver when tasked with finding the holy grain in the season 5 pilot, "didn't Bruce Campbell already do that?"

Seriously, this sounds terrible. I'll definitely be passing it up.

QBComics

I'm hoping they don't screw this up like Hollow Earth. No plot in it. Terrible. I enjoyed the villain and his finale though.

This title gets me excited. The fact that Mac is in it rocks. I hope it keeps up with the Movie traditions such as an opening sequence. Mabey a few chapters. Then the real plot. PLEASE

Snakes

the fabled black pearl known as the Heart of Darkness.

I assume this is a different black pearl that raises the dead than "the Heart of the Dragon" from the Emperor's Tomb. Ha ha, I do really wanna read this book though, sounds very good and Indy-esque.

Stoo

indyclone25 said:
i might be a bit off ,but why post it on star wars website when they could have posted it on the indiana jones website
No, you're not off. It's not the first time good Indy news/articles have been posted only to the Star Wars site.(n)

indyclone25 said:
steve perry is a very good writer
I thought he was the lead singer for Journey!:p "Don't stop believin'!"

080604-steve-perry.jpg

DIrishB

muttjones said:
this one is post world war 2

Not necessarily. I know it says "Fresh from spying for the Allies in the thick of World War II Germany", but that doesn't mean the war is over. Also, the fact that "German and Japanese agents are in hot pursuit" seems to indicate the war is still going on.

I'm not saying it is or isn't, just that its best not to assume.

ResidentAlien said:
To paraphrase MacGyver when tasked with finding the holy grain in the season 5 pilot, "didn't Bruce Campbell already do that?"

Seriously, this sounds terrible. I'll definitely be passing it up.

The Army of the Dead idea (or Army of Darkness like the Campbell/Raimi classic), and the idea of warriors rising from the dead was done long before Bruce and Sam got around to it.

QBComics said:
This title gets me excited. The fact that Mac is in it rocks. I hope it keeps up with the Movie traditions such as an opening sequence. Mabey a few chapters. Then the real plot. PLEASE

So far McCoy has done the best at translating Indy to the novel page. Looking forward to seeing how Perry does. I know he's written some Star Wars novels (if I recall correctly), but have never read anything by him.

WeAreGoingToDie

This is them most exciting Indy news since they announced KOTCS!
A few months back I began reading the Bantam Indy series during my commute. I'm now on "Interior World" and started to get a little sad that I was halfway through with the series. Now I'm excited for another one to kick off! Here's hoping for 1939-1956 in novel form! :whip:

I'd love for my bookshelf to hold every Indy adventure from 1899 to 1957. Yes, I consider climbing the roof of the family home an adventure. ;)

DIrishB said:
The Army of the Dead idea (or Army of Darkness like the Campbell/Raimi classic), and the idea of warriors rising from the dead was done long before Bruce and Sam got around to it.

ZOMG! I had no idea! :rolleyes:

It's called context. Also a bit of sarcasm. Both were lost on you.

Johnny Jones

Dude, I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. To quote Indy, "You don't have to get sore all the time just to show everybody how tough you are, okay?"
I'd love for my bookshelf to hold every Indy adventure from 1899 to 1957. Yes, I consider climbing the roof of the family home an adventure.
Same here! But if your definition is that broad then wouldn't he be having adventures into the 90s? ;) Or maybe you don't go for the "Old Indy" things. To each his own.
Now why does all this new stuff have to come out next year? The wait's going to be murder here! :dead:

Dewy9

This is very exciting news! I hope it comes as a hardback book. I absolutely despise paperbacks.