Star Wars Prequel Trilogy

H. Jones Jnr

Oooh I gotta disagree with all of you.

I much prefer EP:1, although I don't think it's a fantastic film.
Simply put, I found EP:2 too much - too much everything. It ran at a break neck pace (which only Return of the Jedi could be charged with) and quite frankly felt like it was really trying to compete with the Matrix.

I find EP:1 a much purer film for this reason. Purer in intention as well as a much more rounded story with a complete ending. It was old fashioned film making.

Whereas EP:2 was George Lucas crapping his underpants worrying about how they're gonna compare it to the next Matrix film.

Plus, I found Yoda's sabre fight at the end just plain embarrasing. It was quite clearly just a gratuitous crowd pleaser that would make the masses chuckle.

In contrast EP:1's sword fight at the end was perhaps the best sword fight I've ever seen. Granted some of it was CG, but the majority wasn't.

For the reasons above I believe EP:1 to be more "Star Wars" than EP:2 - a Matrix wannabe.

wolfgang

You know, I really don't think it was comprting against the Matrix. I found them both quite different. And, come on, so the Yoda duel was funny, so what? it was awsome in my opinion. I loved it...o well

indy148

I always thought that the last two looked more futuristic then the 4, 5 & 6 !!!! I mean , they are supposed to take place before the last trilogy.,..

wolfgang

Yes, thats true, but thats only because we are on the the 21st century, for example, if you look at Lukes's house in episode 2 it looks better than in episode 4(excluding the fact that its suppose to look older anyway since its a few years after episode four), but its the same anyway....besides, George was aware of this, i read he did it on purpouse, why??? I dunno.

J

Jedi Daniel

The reason why the the prequels look more fresh, clean and futuristic is because the Empire hasn't taken over yet. When we get to the originals everything is a mess, dirty and old because of the Empire. This was done on purpose.

intergamer

in response to the subtle humor thing, the prequels lack a Han Solo persona (aka Indiana Jones)...Han Solo made the originals for me

Indycrusader

Oh, yeah, Han did it all. Without Han, or let's just say Ford, you lose the humor of the movie. And the cute rogue.
I like Ep II better, but the trilogy will never be beat. Ep I was too much politics. Ruined the movie. Without the battles at the end, Ep I would have been a complete failure. Which it almost was anyway.

Paul

I don't know why Episode 1 and 2 get such unjustifed comments, I really don't. I'd like to know what is so terrible about them; really would like to know. Because the Episode 1 and 2 I seen were fantastic films.

Many people would disagree that they are inferior films, In fact not only myself but friends, and online friends, even family have agreed with me that Episode 2 is one of the best. IMO Lucas has BRILLIANTLY written the prequels so far. And yes- some of the dialogue is "bad". But the dialogue HAS been "bad" in SW movies since 1977. I don't see why now it upsets people. If the next complaint will go to CG then once again..I don't understand people. Technology has advanced. Lucas can't just go ahead and build thngs like Kamino.

Anyway onto Episode 1; it has to be the most underrated film since The Temple of Doom. People don't like the childish "kiddy" aspect of it (I think some people forget that SW is actually a kids series)- but I will tell you right now, when Episode III comes out, you will most likely look back at Episode I and see why Lucas made it the way it is and laid down the character development in droves, and you will probably love it. If you still don't; then I'm very sorry. But don't expect people like me to understand why you can't.

With that said, I guess I'd have to choose Episode 2. I guess because it's more "mature" in nature, I can't think of much I don't like about it. there are soo many things about Episode 2 I love that I don't want this post to go on for too long so Ill just leave it here:

It's my favorite of the Star Wars films. Yes that's right, I like it better than the overatted Empire. Do you're worst.

[Edited by Paul on 10-20-2003 at 04:25 pm]

Indy 4

Of the Star Wars prequals made so far, I would say I like Episode II the better between the both of them. Episode I was good, but Episode II was more in depth with the characters and storyline. It was way more mature in it's story than Episode I. I also like Count Dooku/Darth Tyrannus better than Darth Maul. Dooku was much more interesting, and was not built for hype like Darth Maul. I also liked who they show the relationship that Obi-Wan and Anakin have, and how it is eventually crumbling apart.
Even though Episode II is my favorite of the Star Wars prequals so far, my favorite Star Wars film over all is THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. In Empire the story was excellent, the conflict between good and evil is very well represented with the battle between Luke and Darth Vader. Plus Empire has the strongest revalation out of all the Star Wars films. When Vader told Luke he was his father, that set a VERY strong mark in the Star Wars saga. The Empire Strikes back is truely as Classic Star Wars as you can get.

Brock

Who's father?

"NOx, what do you mean he never says it? He does,, everyone's seen it. unless your being specific and saying that what he said was "No, Luke, I am your father" instead of "Luke, I am your father." But hats just being, well...specific. I guess your right, though"
Actually, it's not, "Luke, I am your father," nor is it, "No Luke, I am your father." It's simply, "No. I am your father."

jamie

I cant stand Ep1. I thought it was terrible, one of the biggest disappointments of my movie going life. And I really wanted to like it. It was just terrible throughout.
The movie wasnt even neccessary and there was no point to it, it didnt really tell us anything we didnt know. Then theres the Jar Jar aspect, which Im sure I dont need to explain, there was Jake Loyd who couldnt have been any more irritating, there was long pointless scenes that were nothing but an excuse for CGI, such as the Pod race, and then the dodgy fake looking battle between the battle droids (which were terrible in themselves, kind of like robotic Donald Ducks) and the Gungans. This battle never come close to any of the ground battles in the OT, and crappy looking droids are no substitute for Stormtroopers.
The only thing this movie had going for it was the saber duel at the end.

Attack Of The Clones, on the other hand, I thought was excellent. It totally exceeded my expectations, and it was much closer to feeling like a Star Wars movie. You've gotta love seeing the clone army of Stormtroopers for the first time or seeing the Star Destroyers launching with the Imperial March playing. Great stuff.
And unlike in TPM, Ewan McGregor was great as Obi Wan.
The only fault with this movie was the romance between Anakin and Padme, which was corny and painful to watch in the extreme. He should have just made it more casual like Han and Leia in the OT.
Jim

merancapeman

THEY BOTH STINK! They don't follow the story at all! If you remember Yoda's wise words, "Power does not make one great". If power does not make one great, whats up with the Puppet on speed scene with Dooku? I have to go soon, so i'll make this quick, but in Episode one, just an example, WHAT THE HECK IS A NUCLEAR REACTOR DOING IN A DOCKING BAY!!!

Katarn07

Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy

Yeah, I like 'em but not as much as the originals. I mean, The Phantom Menace doesn't seem as epic as any of the others and for that it suffers. Plus you just wanna kill Jake Lloyd because he can't act!

Attack of the Clones would have been as good as the originals save for the corny love story.... what was George doing?! The romance in Empire Strikes Back and all the Indy movies was a kijillion times better than... than... than that.

Oh yes, Episode III will definately be the best of them. Not only will it be epic (if George can do that still), but the pictures are stunning and beautiful. They have some retro looking control panels and some neat sets remeniscent to the originals.

I just wanted to see what you thought of them since so many people seem to hate them. Oh, and if you don't even like SW at all that belongs in another topic.

Last edited:

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
I found it difficult to chose one of the four options?.

You see, I thought those 2 movies were okay? but not near as good as the originals.
But I can't say they completely 'sucked'.
- sigh ?
So I went for 'good'? although that might be a bit overrated. ;)

S

skywlkrinc

I like them both, but definitely not as much as the Original Original Trilogy (my thoughts on the Special Editions should be known......Han Solo shoots FIRST!!!!! The original Sy Snootles song was better!! The rest of the changes were somewhat acceptable)

The prequels do suffer from poor acting (Lloyd, and Hayden at times) and some lame sub plots (the entirety of Anakin and Padme on Naboo), and some really poorly developed and way too comical characters (Jar Jar, Dex). However, for the most part Lucas made up for it with the sheer coolnes of the lightsaber battles. Come on, face it.....we ALL wanted to see some serious Jedi fighting. Though, the Anakin/Dooku final fight was lame and the Yoda/Dooku fight (Remember Yoda is my all time favorite Star Wars character and Lucas can't go wrong with more Yoda) was a little too comical and far fetched with Yoda jumping around like a maniac. The two prequels as a whole are pretty good.

I hope Episode 3 will meet all of our expectations (Anakin/Vader vs. Obi-Wan ultimate Jedi battle in the lava pits), but I'm already prepared for a little dissappointment, but I still have faith in Lucas.

I've read rumors that the Original Trilogy DVDs will not contain the Original Trilogy, nor the Special Editions of '97, but some kind of new Special Special Editions with more butchery...er...improvements....upon the trilogy (let's hope this is a false rumor)

Luke

LASTCRUSADER

I thought both films were good. I also think that they get a bad wrap. Sure they aren't as good as the originals but I still find myself watching them quite a bit.

Finn

Staff member
They were not masterpieces like the original trilogy, but quite enjoyable rides. Decent flicks at least. Nothing fancy though, but likeable.

Junior Jones

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I liked them a lot.

From my experience, the people who really hate them are Star Wars fans who went in with high expectations that the prequels couldn't possibly meet.

When you go into the theater expecting to see the greatest movie ever made and it turns out to be a pretty good movie, that's a major disappointment. If you expect to see a pretty good movie and its turns out to be pretty good, you're satisfied.

That's why I'm not getting my hopes up for Indy 4. I'm expecting it to be good, but not as good as Raiders. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.