Blade Runner

oki9Sedo

Deckard said:
Ya well i still have the original on VHS, which is what i was referring to. (Im one of those wierd guys who still likes to watch a VHS once in a while) Something about the not so great quality and full screen reminds me of when i saw the movies as a kid. I have seen the DC tho and ya its alot more obvious. The ending for this final cut is on youtube to advertise the dvd and its way differant then i remember.

Me too, I sometimes watch movies on VHS.

Deckard

Matinee Idyll said:
orly.jpg

Can't wait to see the final cut, the directors one is quite brilliant already.

cosbyjello.gif

deckard24

If it's still playing in any theaters, don't miss it! I got to see it a month back, and it is just so much better on the big screen. I'm curious if anyone knows about the box set and its specs. Do you get all versions, or only The Final Cut?

As for Deckard being a human, I preferred it when it was ambiguous! One thing is for sure though, The Final Cut's presentation is fantastic. It has been beautifully cleaned up, and the new edits are integrated seamlessly.

Has anyone here seen Godard's Aplhaville? I heard a lot of Blade Runner was based off of it, but I don't know if that's true? I know about Dick's novel, but not the Godard link.

deckard24 said:
If it's still playing in any theaters, don't miss it! I got to see it a month back, and it is just so much better on the big screen. I'm curious if anyone knows about the box set and its specs. Do you get all versions, or only the Final Cut?

Getting that next week. ;)

It's 5 versions of the movie.

Final, Theatrical, Director's, International, and a Work Print. Also a documentary, Deleted Scenes, etc.

Matinee Idyll

deckard24 said:
Has anyone here seen Godard's Aplhaville? I heard a lot of Blade Runner was based off of it, but I don't know if that's true? I know about Dick's novel, but not the Godard link.

See it. Run, don't walk.

deckard24

Matinee Idyll, it's that good huh?

I've got a Netflix free trial membership I've been planning to use, so Alphaville will have to be one of my first rentals. I haven't seen a lot of Godard's work, and he's one of a bunch of directors I'd like to check out. There's just too many movies and too little time!(n)

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Can't wait to watch it all on christmas.

There's an interesting DANGEROUS DAYS clip on npr...with Harrison Ford, Frank Darabont and Eddie Olmos...

I love with what dedication Darabont strongly argues against Deckard being a Replicant. (referring to the unicorn dream) ..."in terms of myth that is totally a female myth symbol"...

The fact that Olmos accidentally used the word Cylons instead of Replicants just cracked me up..hehehee....

shhimundercover

Best Sci Film ever. Love the noir influences as well: the influences of Raymond Chandler and his famous PI Marlowe ( Bogart)..... Deckard being a similarly hard-bitten and morally ambiguos character, making a living amongst the sleaziest dregs of society.

There is even a scene, I recall in which Deckard plays a gawky fool to gain the trust of an incidental character, his mannerisms and voice identical to those of the impressions performed by Bogart in The Big Sleep.

I love Harrison Ford in any film, but Rutger Hauer was the real revelation here, a stalwart of b-movies......

Ridley Scott's approach as well, the design, atmosphere, the storyteling.....

Is Deckard a Replicant? I like to think he?s human. I think the story works better that way. I know Ridley is in love with the idea that Deckard is a Replicant, but I think that sorta feels gimmicky. And I don?t think that really serves the story in any way. I?m open to it, and I?d love feedback on why any of you prefer to see him as a Replicant.

But I like to see the film as Deckard's journey to becoming truly human by his interactions with the Replicants. Anyway, the man's journey and all that would center around empathy.

I just think that the story works better if Deckard is a human. He begins as a product of his environment. This hellish Los Angeles of 2019. Look at the world he lives in. Both his city, and his apartment. It?s a cocoon. He?s like everyone else in the city. Cut off, enclosed. He develops empathy, which is part of what makes us human.

This is a beautiful film that I am appreciating more and more as I delve into it.

Deckard

shhimundercover said:
Best Sci Film ever. Love the noir influences as well: the influences of Raymond Chandler and his famous PI Marlowe ( Bogart)..... Deckard being a similarly hard-bitten and morally ambiguos character, making a living amongst the sleaziest dregs of society.

There is even a scene, I recall in which Deckard plays a gawky fool to gain the trust of an incidental character, his mannerisms and voice identical to those of the impressions performed by Bogart in The Big Sleep.

I love Harrison Ford in any film, but Rutger Hauer was the real revelation here, a stalwart of b-movies......

Ridley Scott's approach as well, the design, atmosphere, the storyteling.....

Is Deckard a Replicant? I like to think he’s human. I think the story works better that way. I know Ridley is in love with the idea that Deckard is a Replicant, but I think that sorta feels gimmicky. And I don’t think that really serves the story in any way. I’m open to it, and I’d love feedback on why any of you prefer to see him as a Replicant.

But I like to see the film as Deckard's journey to becoming truly human by his interactions with the Replicants. Anyway, the man's journey and all that would center around empathy.

I just think that the story works better if Deckard is a human. He begins as a product of his environment. This hellish Los Angeles of 2019. Look at the world he lives in. Both his city, and his apartment. It’s a cocoon. He’s like everyone else in the city. Cut off, enclosed. He develops empathy, which is part of what makes us human.

This is a beautiful film that I am appreciating more and more as I delve into it.

Hi, welcome. I think definately hes a replicant, I enjoy that because he's alot more like the people hes killing then he realises. He feels lost but he can connect w/ Rachael. And by the time he's done going at it with Roy he has the same revelation that whether he's got a shelf life or not, life is too good to waste.

I always thought the idea Ridley wanted to portray is that at first Deckard had become so assimilated that the other replicants were more Human them him. They want life, he wants to take it. He becomes more human as it goes.

"More human, than Human."

I also thought that the relationship between Roy and Pris is almost the polar opposite of Rachel w/ Deckard, Roy and Pris are definately in love while Deckard and Rachel feel a bit awkward. By the end its like a role reversal.

Last edited:

Tennessee Smith

My wife just gave my the Blu-Ray set this morning for V-day. So my weekend will consist of torturing her to make her watch it. ;) Good Times!!!

deckard24

Tennessee Smith said:
My wife just gave my the Blu-Ray set this morning for V-day. So my weekend will consist of torturing her to make her watch it. ;) Good Times!!!
You got a Blu-Ray for Valentine's Day?

Lucky guy!!

You'll have to tell us how Blade Runner looks in HD!

deckard24 said:
You got a Blu-Ray for Valentine's Day?

Lucky guy!!

You'll have to tell us how Blade Runner looks in HD!

I'd imagine it'd look just about as good as it did 30 feet across in the theater when I saw it toward the end of December. :p

roundshort

this is one of those movies that I loved as a teenager, but now I can't even make it through the whole movie. Perhaps a few years rest and we will see.

RaideroftheArk

Blade Runner Bluray

Just bought the Blade Runner Bluray Ultimate Collector's Edition (The briefcase with all the cool junk in it.)

I own the regular DVD UCE and it's pretty cool, but this was before I had a PS3...I just found out that the UCE Bluray is "Out of Print" and they are getting pretty expensive to obtain. I snagged a new one on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Does anyone here own the Bluray version of Blade Runner? Is it worth the money? Or is it just worth getting if you're a fan of the movie?

Agent Z

RaideroftheArk said:
Just bought the Blade Runner Bluray Ultimate Collector's Edition (The briefcase with all the cool junk in it.)

I own the regular DVD UCE and it's pretty cool, but this was before I had a PS3...I just found out that the UCE Bluray is "Out of Print" and they are getting pretty expensive to obtain. I snagged a new one on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Does anyone here own the Bluray version of Blade Runner? Is it worth the money? Or is it just worth getting if you're a fan of the movie?

Seeing as how you already bought said UCE Bluray, I guess you will have the answer you seek soon enough, eh? ;)

I bought both the standard edition UCE briefcase, and the HD-DVD Final Cut 5-discer. No regrets here. (y)

Dr. Wolfwood

Blade Runner is the ultimate depiction of the dark future theme. And the Final Cut is the one you should see if you haven't seen it before. Beware, though, it is not an action film and requires some thinking. ;)

RaideroftheArk

Indy&HanFan said:
i've actually never seen blade runner. is it good?

Really awesome movie! It's a very "moody" type of film, there's a lot of dramatic lighting, spectacular visuals and a lot of really cool, almost poetic type of dialogue. It has some action, but not what you would expect...it's more of a visual movie than anything...plus it actually gets you to think about what it must be like to be an android...espeically the Nexus 5 model.

You should at least give it one watch...you'll probably have lots of questions.

I know it was just said that you should see the "final cut"...but I would start with the theatrical version...know that one inside and out, then move onto the other cuts...you'll appreciate the Final Cut that much more.

Agent Z said:
Seeing as how you already bought said UCE Bluray, I guess you will have the answer you seek soon enough, eh? ;)

I bought both the standard edition UCE briefcase, and the HD-DVD Final Cut 5-discer. No regrets here. (y)

Yes, I'll have the answers soon enough, lol. It was an impluse buy...I saw that you could not get them anymore so I decided to get it before they price for them was through the roof. I hate when stuff like that happens.