Books

Jay R. Zay

ClintonHammond said:
I'd rather read ALL of Clive Cusslers work than one paragraph by Terry Prat...

chett....

i doubt that either would inspire you intellectually, so you might as well read garfield - it seems unlikely that preferring cussler about pratchett is a mark for some positive quality you might like to have. at the very least i couldn't say that cussler writes for a more grown-up readership than pratchett.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Right now all the buzz is about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow, and whether or not it will be released on 7/7/07.

And in a tiny corner of the internet I found an update for that other big literary franchise, with possible hints about Jack Ryan 10. Tom Clancy describes the heart surgery that slowed him down a bit... it's just great to read anything by him after 3.5 years...

berelain19

I love reading! Not Indiana Jones,though...

I read Stephen King(you must read the ''dark tower''-saga,you simply must!)
Harry Potter
Robert Jordan
Tolkien
Terry Goodkind
Jane Austen
Dickens
Barker
Gaiman
Koontz
saul

I liked the Ring trilogy by Koji Suzuki
Henning Mankell writes Swedish detectives á la Grisham.
I was totally captured by ''The beach''(no,it's nothing like the movie)

On my list to read soon,preferably before 21st july:
Eragon
Life with Pi
THe Shadow Rising(wheel of time 4)
Out
Anansi Boys

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Thank you, Mr. Colbert.

As for things worth reading, there's Chekhov, who probably portrays life better than any writer I know. I'd start with the 4 major plays, Uncle Vanya in particular.

For history of ideas, you can't get much better than Isaiah Berlin, who is eminently readable, since most of his essays were originally lectures. Erudite, clear, and brilliant.

I'll also toss out God: A Biography, a literary analysis of the character of God in the Tanakh, by one Jack Miles, a former Jesuit. Eye-opening.

As for adventure, pick up Conrad's Heart of Darkness if you never have before.

Finally, the best recent novel I've read is The Last Samurai, by Helen DeWitt, which has absolutely nothing to do with the Tom Cruise film, and everything to do with Kurosawa, linguistics, learning, parenting, genius, and the search for the self. Simply incredible, and not at all easy to characterize.

"Anansi Boys" was the last good book I read... man that seems like a long time ago....

Lately, if it's not a script, I don't have time to read it!

Viper

I've recently been reading some books by this author Rob MacGregor..... You've probably not heard of him......:D

But I did read Generation Kill, and that was pretty good, though disturbing.....

Johan

ClintonHammond said:
"Anansi Boys" was the last good book I read... man that seems like a long time ago....

Lately, if it's not a script, I don't have time to read it!

maybe you should read more

berelain19

I'm almost done with "this book will save your life'' by Homes.
Amusing,true book.

So,clintonhammond,I don't know ya too well,but you read scripts for fun or for work???:D

HovitosKing

If you're a fan of the hardboiled detective novel, which I guess you are since you mentioned liking Hammett and Chandler, I would recommend reading the Matthew Scudder series by Lawrence Block. Block is a fairly good author, and is generally considered to be the modern equivalent of Hammett and Chandler. I wouldn't go that far, but his Scudder series is really quite good. If possible, read them in chronological order, and I would definitely NOT stray to his other books (the Hitman and Burglar series) because they're not nearly as good.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I'm reading <i>Les Bienveillantes</i> by Jonthan Littel. Jonthan Littel is American but he wrote this book in French, it won the <i>Prix Goncourt</i> the most prestigious French literary award, last year. it's a fictitious autobiography of a former officer in the SS. It gets pretty horrible buy it's very intersseting.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Four books are at my desk here at work, I rotate them from time to time, Telsa: Master of Lightning, Any Rand The Virtue of Selfisness, The Book of Five Rings, The classic text of Samurai Sword Strategy, and Francis Bacon: The Essays