• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Major West

Just wanted to concur that Wested's current pre-distressed hide is an excellent choice, especially for a Last Crusade jacket.

Drones33

Hero

Christmas prezzie from Wife; Hero in authentic Lamb. Really happy with it.
hero_a_1_by_00177840-daua9ng.jpg

Ordered it a bit shorter than my usual sizes, (back/sleeve length etc) turned out great.
hero_b_1_by_00177840-daua9ol.jpg

Major West

Nice.:cool: Have you done much breaking in yet? Is there much noticable difference in fit from 40 to 38? What's your actual chest measurement. I'm about 39"

Drones33

Yeah me too, about 39" actual chest measurement. There's a definite difference between the 38" and the 40", particularly across the back and shoulders. The 38" might be a bit snug with a moderately chunky jumper, but with just a shirt or thin polo neck it fits great. Interestingly the lambskin feels far thinner on this than on the OTR or even the custom. Whether that's a feature of the authentic lambskin Hero or just this batch I don't know, but it's going to be a summer jacket anyway, worn with just a shirt, so I'm glad I ordered this size.
That said, if I were to order a Hero in a heavier hide, (distressed cow would work great I reckon,) then I'd go for the same shorter length as this but with a 40" chest to allow a bit more room for layering.
I haven't done any artificial ageing on this, haven't wet it etc, don't think the lambskin needs it. Worn it a lot since Christmas Day though, even round the house, and it's beginning to take on a really nice shape.

Major West

Ah interesting. That's what I was thinking, if I were to go with a 38" it would be to wear with just one layer. I've noticed the authentic lamb varies slightly in weight and thickness too. My ToD jacket is a lighter batch.

Major West

Nice Bill Kelso, which one is it, they offer three don't they?

I'm toying with the idea of ordering either a Hero wested in authentic lamb or maybe another Raiders custom in authentic lamb. I've got a 42" LC Lamb to sell which is just too big for me now. I like ordering customs because you can add the extra right sided inside pocket (not on the Hero though).

Glenville86

Cairo - main Hero jacket. Their Mark 31 Seal is not that expensive compared to their other horsehide offerings. I like this leather better than their SL which is also a nice leather. I think the BK pattern is very close.

Glenville86

With little natural light, jacket looks darkish. In bright or sunlight, it is a lighter russet brown.

BK Indy jackets run on the slim side which is very good for normal sized folks. As a more beefy guy, it feels comfortable with some snugness in the pits and chest. If I ordered my actual chest size, the OTR would be way too small. Andy at BK will make some changes to facilitate fit. I had to go a little bigger on the pit-to-pit. The back length is shorter than my Wested jackets on paper but came out about the same fit.

Drones33

Great looking jacket. I really like that colour. A better fit than Westeds Hero would you say, or quite similar?

Glenville86

Drones33 said:
Great looking jacket. I really like that colour. A better fit than Westeds Hero would you say, or quite similar?

The Kelso is a copy of a Nowak Raiders which should be pretty darn close. It fits much more comfortable than the Wested Hero and does not that weird fit feeling. I have 2 of the Kelso Cairo ones in SL and HH. They are good wearing jackets.

From the jackets I own and I like them all, I would rate them:

1. BK
2. S&J
3. Gibson & Barnes (No Longer Made)
4. Wested
5. US Wings

Major West

Glenville86 said:
BK Indy jackets run on the slim side which is very good for normal sized folks. As a more beefy guy, it feels comfortable with some snugness in the pits and chest. If I ordered my actual chest size, the OTR would be way too small. Andy at BK will make some changes to facilitate fit. I had to go a little bigger on the pit-to-pit. The back length is shorter than my Wested jackets on paper but came out about the same fit.

Interesting, I was going to ask you about the measurements. I was looking at their website. Noticed they had the option of ordering OTR sizing short/regular/long or including your measurements. According to their guide chart I should order a 40R

Are they UK based? I noticed a banner at the top that said free UK shipping.

If I were to order one I suppose I'd have to pick the striated leather, and maybe south america version of the jacket.

Which version of the jacket is the Flying Wing, it's the Cairo jacket I think.

Why am I rambling. I can't see myself pulling the trigger on £500 :(

I hope you're not thinking about it Drones, your new Wested Hero looks fiine.(y)

Glenville86

The guy who owns BK is American but they are located in Greece if I remember correctly. A BK Indy is cheaper than most Aero jackets. They have a goatskin that is not a bad price if the other leathers are too expensive.

Major West

Yes it is a reasonable price. The striated leather is sourced from the same place as the original movie jacket where they still tan leathers by hand the old way. You're paying for high quality.

I'll have a look at the goat, but I think the striated lamb is a must for a first time buy of a BK Relic Hunter.

Drones33

Major West said:
Interesting, I was going to ask you about the measurements. I was looking at their website. Noticed they had the option of ordering OTR sizing short/regular/long or including your measurements. According to their guide chart I should order a 40R

Are they UK based? I noticed a banner at the top that said free UK shipping.

If I were to order one I suppose I'd have to pick the striated leather, and maybe south america version of the jacket.

Which version of the jacket is the Flying Wing, it's the Cairo jacket I think.

Why am I rambling. I can't see myself pulling the trigger on £500 :(

I hope you're not thinking about it Drones, your new Wested Hero looks fiine.(y)
Nah. I've considered it a few times, and as you say if I were to buy a BK it would have to be the striated lamb, but that five hundred quid price tag puts me off. I doubt my understanding Wife would be THAT understanding ;)

Johnnydooks

Drones33 said:
Had this a couple of weeks. Off the rail Wested LC in pre distressed cow. Ive streamlined my collection dramatically and had no intention of picking up a new one, until I saw online some recent pics of how Wested`s pre distressed looks these days; much improved on the mottled, almost stone washed look it used to have. Great jacket, probably my last... for the moment.
pd_cow_1_1_by_00177840-dalfofn.jpg

pd_cow_2_1_by_00177840-dalfoi1.jpg

Hey Drones33, I am new to this site, and just ordered a Wested Custom LC in Pre-distressed cow. Any idea if the current bundles are the same as what you ordered? The website shows a different look? I wasn't sure if they updated their website regularly.

Drones33

Welcome aboard.
I`m not sure if it`ll be exactly the same, but the photos the pre distressed LC on the Wested site have been the same for years, they still show that "stone washed" look that it used to have. Thankfully their more recent hide has a more consistent colour and texture so you should be fine. I still think Wested`s pre distressed is the best thing available for an LC, and with just a little wear it`ll start to break in nicely. Let us know how you get on(y)

Drones33

Ive gained a little weight over the last few months, so had to go up a size. This is my new size 42 LC in distressed Cowhide. It really is a gorgeous leather, very heavy but what the photos don`t show is just how soft it is.
crusade_2_by_00177840-dayxc69.jpg

crusade_3_by_00177840-dayxc97.jpg