Marion Ravenwood and the Power of the Drink

Short Rounded

Well, kind of what I ment was mainly her entire personality changed. Do you think she stopped her bad habits when she had Mutt?

James

Short Rounded said:
Well, kind of what I ment was mainly her entire personality changed. Do you think she stopped her bad habits when she had Mutt?

I'd think it would be a combination of that and the twenty-one year period of time.

Even so, I doubt she'd stopped all her bad habits. :D

DocWhiskey

The way I see it is she was kidnapped a majority of the film and when she was free she was running away/driving or discovering alien civilization. She didn't have time to lite up a cigar or crack open a forty. She was in the middle of the jungle for god sake. Plus she is older and more mature and has a son now. People have to change. She still showed her spunk.

Short Rounded

DocWhiskey said:
The way I see it is she was kidnapped a majority of the film and when she was free she was running away/driving or discovering alien civilization. She didn't have time to lite up a cigar or crack open a forty.
Good point!

Finn

Staff member
Mod note

Short Rounded said:
Didn't see that one... thanks!
One of the lousiest excuses in the book. If one doesn't have eyes, one can't type either.

Nothing else. Continue.

Short Rounded

Finn said:
One of the lousiest excuses in the book. If one doesn't have eyes, one can't type either.

Nothing else. Continue.
Sorry. It was one of my first threads started, and I didn't even think to use the search.

wolfgang

I guess it would've been cool to have her drink in at least one scene...but oh well. I have some issues with the character on this movie, which I hope to get over after various watching of the movie.

Say, Ronicle,doy you know a site in which I could read the Darabont screenplay?

Now if she had some kind of FINN-type derision to spew at Mac not being able to hold his liquor at the camp site...THAT might have been a good nod and not too campy.

Maybe about what he'd be like if he drank in a higher altitude....

Robyn

DocWhiskey said:
The way I see it is she was kidnapped a majority of the film and when she was free she was running away/driving or discovering alien civilization. She didn't have time to lite up a cigar or crack open a forty. She was in the middle of the jungle for god sake. Plus she is older and more mature and has a son now. People have to change. She still showed her spunk.

It does mention it a little bit in the kotcs novel chapter 29:

(( She was no longer the carefree young woman who would drink men under the table on a wager. She was a mother, tempered by responsibility and life into something far greater. It was time to set aside such girlish fantasies.))

Pale Horse

Staff member
Chuckle, I'm still looking for the girl who fantasizes that she can drink me under any table....I don't care how girlish she is.

thanatosis learned not to try that trick long ago.

Marion makes another list...

The 6 Most Epic Drinking Scenes In Movie History

It's no surprise that many of the most memorable movie scenes involve characters who have a love for the bottle. Whether they are remembered as being funny, sad or downright depressing, these six most epic drinking scenes in movie history have left a major impression on moviegoers of all ages.

The shot drinking contest from “Raiders of the Lost Ark”.

raidersofthelostark-karen-allen.jpg

Men love a woman who can handle her liquor, especially if that talent can win bets. That’s exactly what happens when Indiana Jones’ once-and-future love interest, Marian Ravenwood, outlasts a Nepalese local in a shot drinking contest. It’s unclear exactly who challenged who, but when this epic drinking scene is over, one person is passed out on the floor, and the other closes up the bar and travels the world with Indiana Jones.

Bluto’s whiskey scene in “National Lampoon’s Animal House”.

You can put a man’s fraternity on double secret probation, and you can even evict him and his brothers from said frat house. But spill one drop of that man’s alcohol, and you might have a situation on your hands. Luckily for Bluto (played by the legendary John Belushi), his brothers can sense this and quickly toss the hard-drinking college student a bottle of Jack Daniels, which is downed in one huge gulp. Not only has this image emerged as one of the most epic movie drinking scenes of all time, it has spawned the creation of countless posters and T-shirts that have come to symbolize the American college experience.

Nicholas Cage’s role in “Leaving Las Vegas”.

It’s rare for an entire movie to be considered an epic drinking scene, but Nicholas Cage manages to deliver just that in his role as suicidal alcoholic Ben Sanderson. It doesn’t get any more epic (or depressing) than seeing a man get rid of all his possessions, head to Las Vegas, buy a cart full of booze and slowly drink himself to death. Audiences will be left gasping at just how much liquor this man is able to consume.

Buttermaker’s daily ritual in “The Bad News Bears".

In between cleaning swimming pools and mentoring little leaguers, Morris Buttermaker (brilliantly played by Walter Matthau) likes to hit the sauce, even if that means having to mix up a cocktail in the front seat of his car before practice. The movie is filled with them, but perhaps the most epic drinking scene comes when Buttermaker takes to the mound (along with a cooler of beer) and proceeds to toss a round of batting practice. It’s hard to say how long that practice was originally scheduled to last, but after Buttermaker collapses on the mound, the team decides to call it quits.

Frank the Tank’s drinking binge in “Old School”.

When a man well past college age attends a college house party and checks his inhibitions at the door, bad things are bound to happen. One beer bong leads to another, and that scheduled Saturday afternoon trip to Home Depot becomes a distant memory. Luckily, this epic drinking scene ends relatively harmlessly, with Frank (aka Will Ferrell) leading a one man streaking party.

Kid Shellen’s gunfighting audition in “Cat Ballou”.

When title character Cat Ballou (Jane Fonda) hires the once legendary gunfighter Kid Shellen ( Lee Marvin) to protect the family homestead, she thinks she’s getting the best money can buy. But when Shellen’s stagecoach rolls into town, and the haggard gunfighter reports for duty with no gun and a shaky shooting hand, the only thing that can get him back on track is a swig (or two, or three) of whiskey. Fueled by the alcohol, Shellen quickly springs into action with a fast-talking, sharp shooting display of western-inspired bravado that impresses his new employer. Unfortunately, this side of Shellen only lasts a few minutes, as the alcohol takes effect, and he turns back into the bumbling, stumbling drunk he arrived as.

Wow, have to add two films to the "haven't seen them" queue!

Goodeknight

Definite "no" on that kind of nod to Raiders. Marion drinking a Russian under the table would just say she's an old alcoholic. One thing if you're tending bar in Nepal as a 20-something trying to survive after your father's death. Something very different if you're a stateside single mom in your 50s.

Stoo

Rocket, that list is for pin-headed chumps.

1) It's Marion with an "o" and the challenger isn't a "Nepalese local".:rolleyes:

2) Movie History? The earliest selection was 1965. I guess the writer of this pablum hasn't seen many films beyond that.:rolleyes:

3) Six? Why 6?:confused: Why not 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100? Was this writer striving for more but stopped at 6 because he/she exhausted his/her knowledge? Who makes a list of a top "6"?:confused:

4) "Epic"? This writer is one of those people who says the word, "epic", as often as he/she breathes. (*8* times in the same article!:eek:)
Idiotic Film Review Blogger said:
but perhaps the most epic drinking scene comes when Buttermaker takes to the mound...
Walter Matthau's beer-drinking is fairly constant in "The Bad News Bears" but...epic? No. Simply, no. (Same with Marion's scene. It's not "epic"!):rolleyes:

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
1) It's Marion with an "o" and the challenger isn't a "Nepalese local".
Indeed. It would be so nice if people read more rather than just watch these silly moving pictures.

Stoo said:
2) Movie History? The earliest selection was 1965. I guess the writer of this pablum hasn't seen many films beyond that.
Or the scenes in those didn't make the top six?

Stoo said:
3) Six? Why 6?:confused: Why not 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100? Was this writer striving for more but stopped at 6 because he/she exhausted his/her knowledge? Who makes a list of a top "6"?
It's a sexy number. It even rhymes with "sex".

Stoo said:
4) "Epic"? This writer is one of those people who says the word, "epic", as often as he/she breathes. (*8* times in the same article!:eek:)
Walter Matthau's beer-drinking is fairly constant in "The Bad News Bears" but...epic? No. Simply, no. (Same with Marion's scene. It's not "epic"!)
Yes, the kids on the lawn may be irritating. But so is the old man waving his cane at them.

Stoo

Finn said:
Indeed. It would be so nice if people read more rather than just watch these silly moving pictures.
Maybe the writer had just finished reading, "Robin Hood", and was thinking of Maid Marian. Anyway, does that guy look Nepalese?:confused:
Finn said:
It's a sexy number. It even rhymes with "sex".
No, it doesn't. "Six" rhymes with "dicks".:p
Finn said:
Or the scenes in those didn't make the top six?
Speaking of six & dicks,

6) "The Bank Dick" (1940)
5) "Public Enemy" (1931)
4) "A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951)
3) "Nightmare Alley" (1947)
2) "The Bottom of the Bottle" (1956)
1) "The Lost Weekend" (1945)

Six "epics" (Hey, that rhymes!:D) about alcohol & boozing and all earlier than 1965.
Finn said:
Yes, the kids on the lawn may be irritating. But so is the old man waving his cane at them.
It's better to wave a whip.:whip:

MAD_IndyPorch.jpg

Stoo said:
Rocket, that list is for pin-headed chumps.

I figure its fair to give equal time to Marion given the Willie Lists I enjoy highlighting.

I agree that Buttermaker's consumption is epic with regards to the scope of brands he enjoys...is there a single repeat in the film?

But yeah, it all loses something considering the shallow slang stupidly slung about...