Why wouldn't Marion tell Indy she had a son?

michael

Seriously, why wouldn't she?

I'm looking for really good excuses.

It's the main thing that irks me from KOTCS.

The Man

It could be argued that she simply couldn't bring herself to burst the bubble of happy family life with Colin* and wee Henry. Certain logic to that, albeit deceitful.

*Of course, after he died, turning to Ox for paternal guidance and NOT the actual father is alarming. Did she Indy as that deadbeat a Dad? Hmmm...

Sharkey

How many times are you going to get burned by the same ass? She went for someone more stable, and who knows if sky king knew mutt wasn't his.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Man said:
It could be argued that she simply couldn't bring herself to burst the bubble of happy family life with Colin* and wee Henry. Certain logic to that, albeit deceitful.

*Of course, after he died, turning to Ox for paternal guidance and NOT the actual father is alarming. Did she Indy as that deadbeat a Dad? Hmmm...

Sharkey said:
How many times are you going to get burned by the same ass? She went for someone more stable, and who knows if sky king knew mutt wasn't his.

Feels odd to find the two of you agreeing, but it's hard to argue with any of this.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I'm sure there is an essay in here about pre-feminism in the 1930-40's and bastard children, but why she was so cavalier about it in 1957 is beyond me too.

Maybe, as it was said above, Marion didn't want Mutt to have 'Mummy' issues like his dad.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
JuniorJones said:
She try to not inflict Mutt on the world!

Too late for that... She still gave birth to him.It would have made more sense if she wasn't sure if Mutt was Indy's or Colin's but whatever.

The Drifter

Like some others have said. Marion wanted a stable life for herself, and her son. She knew how stir-crazy Indiana was. How he went off to every corner of the world in search of some bit of junk, how he lacked any sort of commitment (remember how she said he dumped her), and after the skyboy, Ox was the safest bet. He may have been boring, but she knew he wouldn't have the same care-free traits as Indy.

The Drifter said:
Like some others have said. Marion wanted a stable life for herself, and her son. She knew how stir-crazy Indiana was. How he went off to every corner of the world in search of some bit of junk, how he lacked any sort of commitment (remember how she said he dumped her), and after the skyboy, Ox was the safest bet. He may have been boring, but she knew he wouldn't have the same care-free traits as Indy.
Then along came a skull...

michael

Attila the Professor said:
Feels odd to find the two of you agreeing, but it's hard to argue with any of this.
I hope my threads can bring people together.

The Drifter said:

All valid points, but if he KNEW of Mutt, he may have calmed down on all of his recklessness. And it's the fact that she didn't try that makes it all the worse. She didn't even think he would change if he knew he had a son, what gives Marion, what gives.

And what if he died in WWII ?!! Then Mutt would've never known who he was. Both would've been tremendously sad accounts.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Then along came a skull...

No NO NO...you've got the lyrics ALL wrong!

And then along came Jones
Tall thin Jones
Slow-walkin' Jones
Slow-talkin' Jones
Along came long, lean, lanky Jones
Along Came Jones, by the Coasters

Attila the Professor

Staff member
michael said:
All valid points, but if he KNEW of Mutt, he may have calmed down on all of his recklessness. And it's the fact that she didn't try that makes it all the worse. She didn't even think he would change if he knew he had a son, what gives Marion, what gives.

And what if he died in WWII ?!! Then Mutt would've never known who he was. Both would've been tremendously sad accounts.

Yeah, but she was burned by Indy. Twice. Why would she expect anything had changed?

Pale Horse said:
No NO NO...you've got the lyrics ALL wrong!

Along Came Jones, by the Coasters

You know, I'm constantly wondering why this song doesn't come up more frequently around here. I keep looking for an opportunity...

But to return to the topic, I reckon Marion just figured to save the boy from Henry Jones, because Henry's no good to meet.

Montana Smith

Marion had it in her head that Indy was bad news. He messed up her life at 15, and she ended up as a prostitute at The Raven making ends meet.

She didn't want Indy to have any influence over the bringing up of her son.

However, KOTCS was so sloppy that after a few mock arguments she was all over him again, ending with that soppy marriage.

Pale Horse said:
No NO NO...you've got the lyrics ALL wrong! Along Came Jones, by the Coasters

Like the Coasters fine and well, but round here Save The Bones For Henry Jones, really, rings the bell...

michael

Gives Jones a chance, let him know. EVERYTHING changes when you got a kid, right?

Montana, you make great points, they just decided to treat their relationship like a Maury Povich episode. You ARE the father.

I'm being too harsh, I really do enjoy KOTCS, just a little bit more respect for the characters is all I wished.