Young Telegraph newspaper comics

BrodyIsDead

Has anyone ever read the short cartoon strip "Young Indiana Jones & The Mountains of Superstition"? :confused:

It appeared in The Young Telegraph here in the UK in the early 1990s but I haven't come across scans of it on the internet anywhere - as far as I know it was a one-off unique but official creation for the Daily Telegraph's young people's weekend supplement. (The Plantation Treasure and The Princess Of Peril were adapted for later comic strips too.)

If I can get around to it, I'll try to scan them and submit them to TheRaider.Net for everyone's parousal. :p

Anyway, old man Waltz, a character I used in my 3rd prize story for TheRaider.Net fan fiction comp (http://www.theraider.net/features/c...est_winners.php)
first appeared in the "Young Indiana Jones & The Mountains of Superstition" strip...

I'd be interested to know if anyone's ever read these too! :D

Stoo

Looks like you have something quite rare, there! When does the story
take place? If you have time, please scan and post anything you can.

Plaristes

Well, this is a fairly old thread, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any more specific info about these comic strips, like the actual dates they were issued?

Plaristes

So no one has any info on these? :( Man, these are even harder to track down than stuff in the rpg magazines. If someone had dates these were issued, it probably wouldn't be too hard to track them down in library archives or even get them through interlibrary loan. :D

DIrishB

Plaristes said:
So no one has any info on these? :( Man, these are even harder to track down than stuff in the rpg magazines. If someone had dates these were issued, it probably wouldn't be too hard to track them down in library archives or even get them through interlibrary loan. :D

I can't find any info on this Indy tale. If anyone has any more info, please post!

Rob Dangerous

The Indy Comics were part of the Young Telegraph's second run, which started in October 1990. The release days were all saturdays - I'm not sure if that means the Young Telegraph was part of saturday issues of the Daily Telegraph or part of the Sunday Telegraph.
Anyway, I got my hands on some of them:

No 1 (6 October 1990)
No 2 (13 October 1990)
No 9 (1 December 1990)
No 11 (15 December 1990)
No 14 (5 January 1991)
No 15 (12 January 1991)
No 23 (9 March 1991)
No 25 (23 March 1991)
No 26 (30 March 1991)
No 27 (6 April 1991)
No 29 (20 April 1991)

I also have issue 34 (25 May 1991) which does not include an Indy comic anymore.
Hope those infos help somebody to find the other issues - in that case, please keep me informed. Sadly my secret plan to persuade BrodyIsDead to sell me his issues does not seem to work ;)

DIrishB

Rob Dangerous said:
The Indy Comics were part of the Young Telegraph's second run, which started in October 1990. The release days were all saturdays - I'm not sure if that means the Young Telegraph was part of saturday issues of the Daily Telegraph or part of the Sunday Telegraph.

No 1 (6 October 1990)
No 2 (13 October 1990)
No 9 (1 December 1990)
No 11 (15 December 1990)
No 14 (5 January 1991)
No 15 (12 January 1991)
No 23 (9 March 1991)
No 25 (23 March 1991)
No 26 (30 March 1991)
No 27 (6 April 1991)
No 29 (20 April 1991)

I also have issue 34 (25 May 1991) which does not include an Indy comic anymore.
Hope those infos help somebody to find the other issues - in that case, please keep me informed. Sadly my secret plan to persuade BrodyIsDead to sell me his issues does not seem to work ;)

Rob Dangerous, proving within 5 posts to be one of the most valuable members of the board. Thanks again, man.

This also shows that the "Mountains of Superstition" (easily argued as the most sought after since its the only original tale) ran in twelve parts, once a week from October 6 - December 22, 1990

Last edited:

Stoo

Rob Dangerous said:
Well, in the Name of All That is Holy...Rob, with your first handful of posts you have made me a very, happy man!
I don't know if you realize what a favour this is for some fans. Can't thank you enough!!! Off to go read it now...:hat: (y)

OMG! I just noticed that there's "Plantation Treasure" & "Princess of Peril", too! Overload. Must go lie down...
The artwork is "Mountains" is top-notch!:D

Last edited:

yodazone

Wow, I had no idea about these pages at all. And these comics pre-date the tv show? 1990/91? (Looking at the bottom credits...)

Does anyone know who wrote and drew these serials?

Stoo

yodazone said:
Does anyone know who wrote and drew these serials?
For "Plantation Treasure" & "Princess of Peril", it says Simon Jowett & Phil Gascoine.

DIrishB

yodazone said:
Wow, I had no idea about these pages at all. And these comics pre-date the tv show? 1990/91? (Looking at the bottom credits...)

Yeah, it seems the influence on Mountains of Superstition (setting, characters) was primarily the flashback/prologue of the Last Crusade. Definitly no Young Indy Chronicles influences apparent anyway.

Of course, the other two were based on the Young Indy novels which started to come out just before the show started.

Plaristes

Okay, can we just change Rob's name to "Indiana Jones"? Like the archaeologist, he has a gift for uncovering the hidden and obscure, items that have developed an almost religious following among Indy's devotees.

DIrishB

Plaristes said:
Okay, can we just change Rob's name to "Indiana Jones"? Like the archaeologist, he has a gift for uncovering the hidden and obscure, items that have developed an almost religious following among Indy's devotees.

Very true.

But only if I get to be Remy... (y)

DIrishB

Did anyone have an email for BrodyIsDead? I'm wondering if he could be convinced to scan the missing pages. At least for the Mountains of Superstition since he seemed to indicate in his posts (from 3 years ago admittedly...he may not even have these anymore) that he owned all of those. I know Rob Dangerous had mentioned something about trying to convince BrodyIsDead to sell him the ones Rob was missing, so if you have an email contact and wouldn't mind asking him to provide some scans, I know it'd be doing us all a favor if he's able to.

DIrishB

Rob Dangerous said:
I only send him a private message, but never received an answer. Come on Brody :hat:

Yeah, I did the same. Apparently he read it, but no response. Oh well, the search continues!

BrodyIsDead

DIrishB said:
Did anyone have an email for BrodyIsDead? I'm wondering if he could be convinced to scan the missing pages. At least for the Mountains of Superstition since he seemed to indicate in his posts (from 3 years ago admittedly...he may not even have these anymore) that he owned all of those. I know Rob Dangerous had mentioned something about trying to convince BrodyIsDead to sell him the ones Rob was missing, so if you have an email contact and wouldn't mind asking him to provide some scans, I know it'd be doing us all a favor if he's able to.

Hi, guys,

apologies for the lack of communication on this thread from me in the last few years (can't believe it's three!) - I've still been active on the boards but just didn't think anyone was interested in these gems of stories from my first posting about them back in '05... Anyway, I've definitely still got them in my possession (they belong in a museum!) and have been liasing with Rob D and DIrishB by PM so will scan the missing strips from those that Rob's already posted earlier in this thread and let everyone see them complete... :hat:

Sorry again for the long delay - it wasn't as long a wait as Indy IV though, right? (y)

-----------------------------------

ps You can still catch up with Old Man Waltz from the "Mountains of Superstition" in my Indy short story on this page:

http://www.gollygoshadventures.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Stoo

BrodyIsDead, I, for one, will be eternally grateful if/when you do post them!:D (y)
Thanks so much for stepping up to the plate.