Trilogy on Blu-Ray

deckard24

Good question, because I thought Paramount had backed HD-DVD not Blu-Ray? I really hope the so called "Format War" is over by the time they release IJ4 and the entire collection in Hi-Def! I just recently got a 42" LCD HDTV with a max 720p resolution as a gift. The TV is a Vizio which they sell at Sam's Club for under $1000, and the smaller sized ones are even better deals.

Now, I'm new to the whole HD world but maybe some of you tech savvy Ravenites can answer this. If 1080p is the ultimate in resolution (which I know both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD display images in) will a 720p TV be compatible with a 1080p HD player. The TV is a fantastic gift with a terrific picture, but the thought of not being able to watch Indy in HD is unbearable!! That just won't do.

Finn

Staff member
deckard24 said:
Now, I'm new to the whole HD world but maybe some of you tech savvy Ravenites can answer this. If 1080p is the ultimate in resolution (which I know both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD display images in) will a 720p TV be compatible with a 1080p HD player. The TV is a fantastic gift with a terrific picture, but the thought of not being able to watch Indy in HD is unbearable!! That just won't do.
The screen will convert any signal it gets into its native resolution, or as close at it gets as long as they're downward scalable. So yes, they're compatible. 1080p will simply be shown as 720p on your screen (as it can't do better) so if you're happy with 720p picture, you're off just fine.

deckard24

Thanks Finn, 720p will do just fine. I'll be able to see the sweat on Indy's brow in HD and that's good enough for me.

I hope HD-DVD wins though since they apparently play all older (today's standard) dvds as well as HD-DVDs. It would be a shame to have to get rid of my entire collection of dvds the same way I did with my vhs tapes!

peterlally

How long did we wait for Indy on DVD, we are still waiting for young Indy on DVD. Blueray? hahahahahahahahahahahah!! Keep Dreaming we'll be on chip to brain implants before Lucasfilm get round to that!

deckard24 said:
I just recently got a 42" LCD HDTV with a max 720p resolution as a gift. The TV is a Vizio which they sell at Sam's Club for under $1000, and the smaller sized ones are even better deals.

Are you sure the Vizio is only 720p? I had one last year that was 1080i. But as it has already been stated it will work.

arkfinder

I wouldn't be shocked in they were released on Blu-Ray. If the demand is there. But, they may do it anyway's with Indy 4 coming out. It would be a little odd to have only 1 of 4 films on Blu-Ray.

AHegele

I'm expecting Indy to go Blue-Ray by the time Indy IV hits the home market. They could release a new DVD complete set plus all the individual films on HD discs and then an HD set.

BTW- Paramount does both HD and Blue-Ray, the only pure HD DVD studio is Universal. There are numerous Blue-Ray only studios.

Vlad Dracula

I still haven't upgraded from my widescreen VHS boxed set to DVD. I was just wondering if I should hold out for Blu-Ray or just breakdown and get the DVD set. I'd hate to drop $40 on the DVD just to have Blu-Ray come out in a few months.

Finn

Staff member
There's no official word whatsoever on Blu-Rays or HD-DVDs at the moment. Besides, the films are going to require a lot of work to get them up to HD quality. It required whole bunch of remastering to get them good enough to push out on DVDs, for crissake!

Sure, they can push out the set on Blu-Rays tomorrow if they want, but they wouldn't be a big step upwards from normal DVD quality. Aged films, you know.

deckard24

Anybody tried playing their Indy DVDs in an upconvert DVD player? I'm curious if the picture is improved upon or if it's the same as with a standard player.

I watched some select scenes from Raiders recently on my progressive scan player, and the picture clarity was crystal clear at times and then would get blurry. I don't know if this is the cables I'm using or the player reacting to the disc. Newer films I've watched on it haven't done this, so I'm starting to think the Indy DVD set is the issue. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

sarah navarro

peterlally said:
How long did we wait for Indy on DVD, we are still waiting for young Indy on DVD. Blueray? hahahahahahahahahahahah!! Keep Dreaming we'll be on chip to brain implants before Lucasfilm get round to that!

id be jealous ...no blu ray for me...:(

No Ticket

lol.

I still watch them on VHS. Yeah, I own the DVD box set and watch those most of the time. But it seems more... like old times with the VHS tapes.

I don't even own an HDTV. :( I'm so old school they tore the school down.

deckard24

I still got the VHS tapes as well, no matter what Indy 1-3, Jaws, the Star Wars OT, and Halloween will not be sold.

Forbidden Eye

Well, I didn't want to post a new thread, and this seemed like the best fit so...

I have a question: How exactly will Paramount(or Lucasfilm) release Indy 4 when it comes out on DVD? While there are obviously talks of Blu-Ray, and a 2-Disc set would be desireable, but will they actually rerelease the entire trilogy on DVD to include Indy 4? There were talks of that long ago in 2003 when the trilogy was released on DVD, but can that actually happen.

While I'm not sure I'd want to double-dip the trilogy, I must say, the DVD was a little disappointed. No commentaries(I know Spielberg has a rule of no commentaries, but Lucas and Ford and maybe Frank Marshall could've made one) and stuff like deleated scenes and other documentaries on various Indy stuff would've be nice.

I know we're too excited about Indy 4 coming to the big-screen to think about this, does anyone else have speculation on this? :D

deckard24

If Lucas' continual repackaging and tweaking of the Star Wars films to make money is any indication, I'd be willing to bet Indiana Jones gets the same treatment. Back when the box set first came out, it was sort of an acid test I believe to test the waters and see what the appeal for Indy was. Well they obviously hit a goldmine, as it went on to be one of the top grossing DVD box sets of all time.

I bet we will be getting a new box set, whether or not there's a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD one is up in the air. I was surprised that with the 30th anniversary of Star Wars now come and gone, that a new OT and Prequel massive box set with all the bells and whistles wasn't released. I remember all the talk about fixing the puppet Yoda in The Phantom Menace and replacing him with a cgi one, and a host of other alterations that still haven't come to pass. I don't think Lucas will force the high def issue yet, as I'm pretty sure HD players have not caught on in the mainstream public as they may 5 years from now.

Shortie

Why worry?

All 4 movies will probably be in H-D when they air on channels like HBO. The same happened for the SW movies & they look great!

Major West

deckard24 said:
Anybody tried playing their Indy DVDs in an upconvert DVD player? I'm curious if the picture is improved upon or if it's the same as with a standard player.

They look good upconverted, better than not upconverted.:gun: