Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

Ska

Nurhachi1991 said:
Madden 12! no other game exsists right now to me until I take the Oaktown Raiders to the Bowl(y)

Picked it up yesterday, too (PS3).

Seems like a big improvement over the last Madden I bought ('10). I alternate between purchasing Madden and NHL every year. It makes the minimal improvements year to year a little bigger, since I get two years worth each time.

But I'm really liking the little I've played so far. The stadiums look great...love the presentation improvements...and the gameplay is much more realistic than '10. I wish they did more in terms of highlights (from your game and other games around the NFL that week...a la NFL 2k5), but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Finn

Staff member
The Drifter said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Is it as good as they claim?

I'm on the final stretch of my first playthrough of The Witcher 2 which truly has struck some right chords on me. It's got its quirks but as a whole, it's the most memorable gaming experience I've had in a while.

I'm a bit torn between starting a second playthrough exploring the alternate options and their consequences and pushing it into a later date and seeing what DX:HR has to offer, considering the original is in my personal all-time top-three, easily.

I normally see the most a standard story-base RPG (e.g. the BioWare formula) has to offer by merely reloading at key points and checking out the different outcomes, but The Witcher 2 isn't a game where this method is applicable. A decision I made more than a month ago in the friggin' prologue just came back and bit me hard in the backside in the final chapter.

This game is like one of those "choose your own adventure" books; you're not completely free to write the story as you wish, but a moment of choice can send the story careening into totally different direction depending on your actions. (Anybody who's played enough titles in the genre should know that usually the consequences are merely cosmetic on the grand scale, maybe save for few big ones near the end that trigger the alternate endings.) If you're like me and into video games for the story and aesthetics they can offer (as opposed to sense of competition and achievement), I can't recommend this one heartily enough.

Last edited:

The Drifter

I've only started on it yesterday and put about 4-5 hours into it, and feel like I haven't even begun to scratch the surface yet. I've played a lot of games like you've described, and I can already tell that the actions you choose in this one will be much deeper than the Dragon Age or Mass Effect titles ( I can't compare it to The Witcher 2, because I've never played it).
Also, at the very beginning I made a certain mistake and I'm still catching heck from it by every character, even the bums. I'm gonna let it flow and continue on with it.

All-in-all, I say it's as good as they say. It has a way to immerse you in it's world. It's futuristic, but believable. Pick it up, Finn. Knowing your tastes, I bet you'll love it.
(Now to take the chance of submiting this post via my phone, I hope it goes through!)

Nurhachi1991

Ska said:
Picked it up yesterday, too (PS3).

Seems like a big improvement over the last Madden I bought ('10). I alternate between purchasing Madden and NHL every year. It makes the minimal improvements year to year a little bigger, since I get two years worth each time.

But I'm really liking the little I've played so far. The stadiums look great...love the presentation improvements...and the gameplay is much more realistic than '10. I wish they did more in terms of highlights (from your game and other games around the NFL that week...a la NFL 2k5), but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I think it's great I have not purchased a console Madden since 09 and this just blew me away. I had 10 on Psp but it was no big deal.

I love the free agent stuff where you sign players and the cut days and all that good stuff (y)

How far are you? Im in week 2 of regular season

Ska

Nurhachi1991 said:
I think it's great I have not purchased a console Madden since 09 and this just blew me away. I had 10 on Psp but it was no big deal.

I love the free agent stuff where you sign players and the cut days and all that good stuff (y)

How far are you? Im in week 2 of regular season

Haven't started my franchise yet. I need to play a few more exhibition games to get my sliders where I want them.

I'd like to play along with the real season. That's usually what I do.

Le Saboteur

It's not out yet, but I've been playing the demo of Space Marine on a semi-regular basis. It's available to download as we speak from X-Box Live and the Playstation Store.

in-the-emperors-name-let-none-survive-500x315.jpg

Finn

Staff member
The Drifter said:
All-in-all, I say it's as good as they say. It has a way to immerse you in it's world. It's futuristic, but believable. Pick it up, Finn. Knowing your tastes, I bet you'll love it.
I already have.

It is a Deus Ex title after all. Considering how much I fell for the original I simply can't resist anything stamped with the title that is hailed to be at least semi-decent (Invisible War, I'm looking at you). I simply asked because I've not found the time to get to it - and I doubt I will in a while, considering I just went ahead and started my second playthrough of The Witcher 2.

The Drifter said:
Also, Finn. I play game for the story as well. I read every note, codex, ect. Our tastes don't seem to differ at all.
In that case, get your hands on those Witcher titles. They're deep, mature and every little bit in 'em show the developers' love towards their product and its source materials. They're PC exclusives though and require at least a semi-decent rig to run. (Actually one of the main incentives why I upgraded recently.)

A X360 version of part 2 is apparently in works and out sometime next year. So get it then, if not earlier.

Goodsport

FIFA Soccer 12

The game is scheduled to hit stores later this month.

In the meantime, the game's demo is scheduled to be released today (Tuesday, September 13th), although according to this blog entry, the only teams available to play in the demo will be:

• AC Milan (Italy)
  • Arsenal (England)
  • Barcelona (Spain)
  • Dortmund (Germany)
  • Manchester City (England)
  • Marseille (France)

-G

DiscoLad

We are in the midst of some of the finest video games:

Battlefield III
Saints Row: The Third (Because they were too good to put 3)
Skyrim
. . . Fine, Modern Warfare III can come too. But I'm not happy about it. :mad:

I'll be getting the first three... which are all threes.

Lotta threes this quarter.
Please tell me some of you are getting in on this.

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
We are in the midst of some of the finest video games:

Battlefield III
Saints Row: The Third (Because they were too good to put 3)
Skyrim
. . . Fine, Modern Warfare III can come too. But I'm not happy about it. :mad:

I'll be getting the first three... which are all threes.

Lotta threes this quarter.
Please tell me some of you are getting in on this.

I'm getting in on Uncharted 3, and that's the only three.

WitAndAWhip

Goodsport said:
The game is scheduled to hit stores later this month.

In the meantime, the game's demo is scheduled to be released today (Tuesday, September 13th), although according to this blog entry, the only teams available to play in the demo will be:

• AC Milan (Italy)
  • Arsenal (England)
  • Barcelona (Spain)
  • Dortmund (Germany)
  • Manchester City (England)
  • Marseille (France)

-G
This is at the top of my priority list. I buy FIFA almost annually but with Arkham City and UC3 coming out around the same time I had to postpone...Just from playing the demo it seems like EA really amped up the realism this year. I like it but it's gonna take awhile to get used to the new controls.

Can't wait to buy this and start franchises w/my LA Galaxy and Tottenham.

The Drifter said:
Played through Batman: Arkham Asylum again, and fixing to start Arkham City later tonight
Arkham City really turned out to be a phenomenal game. I'm actually having trouble deciding whether I like it or Uncharted 3 better.