TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 06-12-2004, 04:32 AM   #26
Finn

Now, when I went to the upper secondary school (the closest Finnish equivalent to the American senior high), there was some interesting things going on by that time, for example they were constructing a new school building besides the one we were in that was to be taken use when it was finished.

Now, the day finally became and people were of course going all cool by the new devices and modern-looking decor... until one of my friends commented: "Generally it's still the same. You've seen one classroom, you've seen them all."

Now, I don't quite agree that the classroom is exactly the same in both LC and Raiders. Sure, they have a lot in similar, but that does not mean that they are the one and same room... especially by that time, when buildings were made even more after similar model than today, it is completely logical that the classrooms look same in decor (and yeah, perhaps they simply recycled some props).
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #27
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Whats the deal with Marshall and Barnett Colleges?

Okay, so as long as I have been a fan of Indy, I was led to believe that he taught at Marshall College for all four movies. Then I started hearing things like he teaches at a Barnett College in one of the movies, then goes back for KOTCS. Dosn't make sense, I mean why would he (and Marcus for that matter) be switching between these colleges?
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #28
IndyCon
IndyFan

Good question I've always wonder this myself, I hope someone has the answer.
IndyCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #29
Michael24
IndyFan

Teachers do sometimes transfer between schools, probably for a variety of reasons: better teaching positions, salary, closer proximity to home, etc. My history teacher in 10th grade used to teach in New York, where he was born, before coming out to California to teach. Several years later, I learned that he had transfered back to New York. So Indy transfered to Barnett at some point and after awhile decided to transfer back to Marshall. Perhaps he got fed up with Barnett College office politics or something. He could have went back to Marshall for any number of reasons.

As for Brody, I don't believe in Raiders and The Last Crusade that he was ever actually affiliated with the school, just visiting Indy on campus. Perhaps only later, post-LC, did he start actually working at the school and become the Dean. But perhaps somebody else knows more for sure.
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #30
Sam Falco
IndyFan

Maybe they gave him an honorarium, like the one Indy was talking about in LC.
Sam Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #31
Indy&HanFan
IndyFan

i always thought it was marshall before lego indiana jones came out and it had barnett.
Indy&HanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #32
mutt willams
IndyFan

same here!
mutt willams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #33
Insomniac
IndyFan

How does marcus move back and fourth with him!!!
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #34
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
How does marcus move back and fourth with him!!!

Well I suspect, as Michael suggests, that Marcus was never really affiliated with either college until later on, but is just visiting.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #35
Falcon
IndyFan

Indy taught at Marshall in Raiders, at Barnett in Last Crusade, and back at Marshall in Crystal Skull. In regards to video games, he teaches at Barnett in Fate of Atlantis and LEGO Indiana Jones. I don't recall if the novels mention him teaching at either of these colleges.

Marcus was curator at the Metropolitan Museum in New York, and not affiliated with any schools. His museum simply financed Indy's expeditions in return for any artifacts Indy might find.
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #36
mattzilla2010
IndyFan

Marshall/Barnett

I am rather confused on the issue of what college Indy teaches at. So he is at Marshall in Raiders, Barnett in Crusade, but back at Marshall again for Skull?

And if I am correct there, why do Marshall and Barnett look (at least to my eyes) exactly the same?
mattzilla2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:53 AM   #37
IndyKate
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzilla2010
I am rather confused on the issue of what college Indy teaches at. So he is at Marshall in Raiders, Barnett in Crusade, but back at Marshall again for Skull?

And if I am correct there, why do Marshall and Barnett look (at least to my eyes) exactly the same?

I'm confused too - What information tells us he was at Marshall in Raiders?

I thought he was at Barnett through the whole of the movie series until Crystal Skull... Mainly because he's at Barnett in the book "Secret of the Sphinx" (the only one I've read and the only reason I know he ever taught at Barnett) which I think is set in a year near to the events of Raiders... but it's been a few years, so I could be completely off!
IndyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:34 AM   #38
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKate

I thought he was at Barnett through the whole of the movie series until Crystal Skull... Mainly because he's at Barnett in the book "Secret of the Sphinx" (the only one I've read and the only reason I know he ever taught at Barnett) which I think is set in a year near to the events of Raiders... but it's been a few years, so I could be completely off!

No, I'm pretty sure you've got that one right.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #39
ChromiumBlue37
IndyFan

The same goes for me. If Marcus is not affiliated with either school, then why the portrait and massive statue?

I can understand one school, but Marcus has been involved in both in some way.

Perhaps the schools changed names or there are two separate campuses that are close by. My father teaches ancient world history at one and then walks over to teach German at another.
ChromiumBlue37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #40
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKate

He was at Marshall in Raiders. In fact if I'm not mistaken, the establishing shot of the college in Crystal Skull was lifted directly from Raiders.

I think the reason they switched to Barnett in Last Crusade was because for whatever reason they used a different college exterior when filming the movie. I think there is a story related explanation for the switch provided by expanded universe writings, but I wouldn't know it off hand.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the film makers simply just forgot about the whole Marshall/Barnett thing when making Crystal Skull and just made it Marshall College after re-watching Raiders. It's confusing, but I guess not really important in the long run.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #41
Attila the Professor

Does the name Marshall ever actually appear during Raiders? Barnett definitely appears on the Grail Diary package in Crusade.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #42
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

According to the Indiana Jones Wiki:

Quote:
In 1939, Brody retired as curator of the National Museum in order to become Dean of Students at Marshall College, a position he held until 1944. He died in 1952 at the age of seventy-four, and his loss deeply affected his colleague Indiana Jones. As a form of tribute, Jones pushed hard for the Marshall faculty and staff to approve the erection of a bronze statue bearing Brody's likeness.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #43
Muttette
IndyFan

Maybe Lego Indy just got the name wrong, or maybe there was a guy called Barnett helping program it who just really, really wanted to see his name in lights! XD
Muttette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #44
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

It's called Barnett College in the movie Last Crusade as well.

Also, while Marshall is never mentioned by name aloud in Raiders, that is the name of the college, hence the production story about naming it after Frank Marshall.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #45
Muttette
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
It's called Barnett College in the movie Last Crusade as well.

Also, while Marshall is never mentioned by name aloud in Raiders, that is the name of the college, hence the production story about naming it after Frank Marshall.

Ahh... yet another reason why I need a new set of Indy dvds with all the added extras!

Oh I just googled him and he's doing Jurassic Park IV... sweet... tis the season for four in a row!
Muttette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #46
Sankara

It's the same College in "Raiders" and "Crusade"!
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #47
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Um, it's pretty much been established that it's two different colleges. But arguing anything with you is futile. So yes, same colleges throughout. The world is perfect.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #48
Uki
IndyFan

Now, someone refresh my memory...

Both colleges are on the East Coast, correct? For some reason I wanted to think that Barnett was in California, but Donovan's goons highjack him and take him to Manhattan in LC.
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #49
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Barnett is in upstate New York and Marshall is in Connecticut.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #50
Sankara

According to Mr. Steven Spielberg it's the Marschall College in "Raiders". It is the same College in all movies...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote