TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #76
emtiem
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Plus, of note is the line, "people I brought", which implies that Brody chaperoned the G-Men from
outside the university (instead of ex. "people who are here" if Brody was a faculty member).
That's my take on it, anyway...

Yes, I was thinking about that and thought I remembered it as 'men who are here'- but the use of 'brought' certainly implies that he's come with them, as you say. I suppose you could take it as Marcus seeing the college museum as not being part of the bit Indy teaches in, but then why would they come through Marcus at all if that was true? It's a funny one.
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #77
Udvarnoky
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Aahh, but the cars are not the same.

I suspect then that it's either outtake footage or a digital manipulated version of what's in the Raiders print. I compared the two, and the people walking outside the school are identical. And the shot is still incredibly out of place both in terms of the lighting and the grain level when compared with the rest of Indy4.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #78
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtiem
Yes, I was thinking about that and thought I remembered it as 'men who are here'- but the use of 'brought' certainly implies that he's come with them, as you say. I suppose you could take it as Marcus seeing the college museum as not being part of the bit Indy teaches in, but then why would they come through Marcus at all if that was true? It's a funny one.
I see either of these situations:

1) Eaton & Musgrove are already aware that Indy is returning from Peru and approach Marcus beforehand to arrange a meeting.

2) Eaton & Musgrove arrive in Connecticut but Dr. Jones is away. They contact the closest associate to learn of his whereabouts
and end up pinpointing Indy's return before Brody is even aware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshmeister
As to why he switched to and from colleges, well, maybe Barnett offered him more money, and then he later returned to Marshall for whatever reasons. Probably he went back after Marcus became its dean, because Marcus (and later Stanforth) ensured better pay than that which had been used to lure him away from Marshall
to Barnett originally.
Yes, I could definitely see the switch back to Marshall due to Marcus' appointment. Maybe the "M" letterman-guy followed Indy
to Barnett and kept wearing his sweater to remind his prof of their previous affiliation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
I suspect then that it's either outtake footage or a digital manipulated version of what's in the Raiders print. I compared the two, and the people walking outside the school are identical. And the shot is still incredibly out of place both in terms of the lighting and the grain level when compared with the rest of Indy4.
How did you compare the two? If the people walking are identical then the cars were a added as a composite.
I'll wait until I see the "Skull" shot again before commenting further.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #79
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of the dodo
Dude, Barnett is just a mistake by the art department that slipped through. But Lucasfilm doesn't make mistakes so their marketing people fumble around like dorks trying to explain it. the end.


THAT'S IT!!!

So, in the movies Indy is teaching all the time at ONE College. The "Marshall College"...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #80
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
THAT'S IT!!!

So, in the movies Indy is teaching all the time at ONE College. The "Marshall College"...

Right, because people never change educational institutions.

Who said these things had to be simple? There's a lot of substantiation for Barnett College being one of the places at which Indy has taught. You can't simply sweep it under the rug because you don't like it.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #81
Way of the dodo
IndyFan
 
Way of the dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 241
So Spielberg decided that between 1936 and 38 Indy changed to a different school but with an identical classroom filmed at the same location. Marcus even stands in front of the same pencil sharpener.
Way of the dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #82
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
I suspect then that it's either outtake footage or a digital manipulated version of what's in the Raiders print. I compared the two, and the people walking outside the school are identical. And the shot is still incredibly out of place both in terms of the lighting and the grain level when compared with the rest of Indy4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
How did you compare the two? If the people walking are identical then the cars were a added as a composite.
I'll wait until I see the "Skull" shot again before commenting further.
Oh, man, you are absolutely right! It's the same shot digitally modified! Not only have the cars been changed
but 2 students walking across the grass have been removed. Good eye, Udarnovky! Check out the detail, folks.
In a full screen comparison, you can see the trees haven't changed in over 20 years...

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #83
emtiem
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Right, because people never change educational institutions.

Who said these things had to be simple? There's a lot of substantiation for Barnett College being one of the places at which Indy has taught. You can't simply sweep it under the rug because you don't like it.

It's just a film: it's not real.
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #84
emtiem
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Oh, man, you are absolutely right! It's the same shot digitally modified! Not only have the cars been changed
but 2 students walking across the grass have been removed. Good eye, Udarnovky! Check out the detail, folks.
In a full screen comparison, you can see the trees haven't changed in over 20 years...


Very good I'm surprised they did that.
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #85
Johnny Jones
IndyFan
 
Johnny Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The space between spaces
Posts: 130
I found this from the May 26 Charleston Daily Mail... I don't expect anyone to take it as gospel but I thought the mention of this website was amusing.
Quote:
Marshall College is first depicted in the Indiana Jones films in "Raiders of the Lost Ark." It apparently was named for the film's producer, Frank Marshall. Dr. Henry Jones Jr., wearing glasses and a tweedy jacket, is depicted lecturing at a chalkboard. He's soon summoned out by a couple of Army intelligence officers who send him on his quest for the lost Ark of the Covenant.

According to fans who have tracked such things at theindyexperience.com, the professor's biography up to that point has him teaching at the University of London in 1925 right after grad school, getting fired in 1927 because he is depressed, accepting a teaching position at Princeton in 1930 and then winding up at Marshall College.

Most of this history is depicted in books about Indiana Jones, rather than in the movies.

By the third film of the series, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," he's teaching someplace called Barnett College. There's some disagreement among fans with too much time on their hands whether this is a new campus or, instead, Marshall-Barnett College.

Sample exchange on a fan site raven.theraider.net

Fan called "renderking fisk": "Sorry guys... It's Marshall-Barnett College."

Another fan called "junior jones": "I like that. Is that your theory or something official?"

A third fan called "lightning": "Although Marshall is the popular name for the college in Raiders, the name never appeared on screen. Barnett, on the other hand, did. Since the Indy's classroom is the same in both movies, (including the buildings visible through the window) I am forced to conclude that he taught at Barnett in both movies."

Nevertheless, in the new movie that debuted this weekend, he's on the staff at Marshall College.

That's the site of an extensive chase scene filmed at Yale.
"Fans with too much time on their hands"... guilty!

Last edited by Johnny Jones : 09-08-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: smilies
Johnny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #86
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
So, we can clearly say: In the movies he is only at the Marshall College... and the Barnett College is "Expanded Universe" stuff... is has nothing to do with the movies. Now, we've got it! Great!
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #87
Niteshade007
IndyFan
 
Niteshade007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
So, we can clearly say: In the movies he is only at the Marshall College... and the Barnett College is "Expanded Universe" stuff... is has nothing to do with the movies. Now, we've got it! Great!

Why do you feel the need to have the last word? And not only that, but your dismissive attitude to anyone presenting any sort of evidence contrary to what you believe is quite irritating. Personally, I don't give a damn what you believe, but my god, reading your posts makes you out to be such an arrogant ass.

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter whether some people think that Indy taught at two schools? It's crazy, I know. A teacher teaching at two places. I don't know where Lucas and Spielberg come up with this stuff.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #88
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
And THIS is the point exactly, Niteshade007: Lucas and Spielberg DON'T come up with this stuff.

According to the makers there is only ONE College: The Marshall College...

Thank you very much, Niteshade007!
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #89
Way of the dodo
IndyFan
 
Way of the dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 241
Spielberg shot both movies in the same classroom at the Royal Masonic school in England. Between 1980 and 1988 the walls were painted, but otherwise it looked the same. Maybe Indy did change schools but England only has one classroom that you're allowed to film in. I don't live there, so maybe it's a law I don't know about.
Way of the dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #90
Niteshade007
IndyFan
 
Niteshade007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
And THIS is the point exactly, Niteshade007: Lucas and Spielberg DON'T come up with this stuff.

According to the makers there is only ONE College: The Marshall College...

Thank you very much, Niteshade007!

They don't come up with it, but they approve scripts. Last Crusade makes it pretty clear that it's Barnett College, you know, with the freakin' address.

It's not like they just forgot that they named the college after the producer in Raiders. Obviously they decided to go back to that one in Kingdom. I'm sorry if that bothers you, but get a grip.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #91
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
Fact is: There is no freaking adress in the movie.

I'm sorry if that bothers you, but for me, most of the Fans, 99 Percent of the people who watched these movies AND the moviemakers there is only the Marshall College...


Show me an Interview with the makers about Indy and Marcus are switching between Marshall, Barnett and back to Marshall..
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:14 AM   #92
Way of the dodo
IndyFan
 
Way of the dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 241
I guess you can argue the name if you want because they've been pretty flaky about it, but the important thing is it's meant (by Spielberg anyway) to be the same school in both.
Way of the dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #93
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of the dodo
I guess you can argue the name if you want because they've been pretty flaky about it, but the important thing is it's meant (by Spielberg anyway) to be the same school in both.

In both Raiders and Crystal Skull, undoubtedly. In Crusade...that poses problems.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #94
Kooshmeister
IndyFan
 
Kooshmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Fact is: There is no freaking adress in the movie.

It's on the prop parcel that the diary arrives in. Even though it's not seen in the movie, the prop alone bearing this address ought to be proof enough. And it's a prop made for the movie by the movie's prop-makers. Why is that not enough? Are you insisting the prop-makers made a mistake?

Or are you insisting that because we never see the address on the parcel clearly, the official prop itself is meaningless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Show me an Interview with the makers about Indy and Marcus are switching between Marshall, Barnett and back to Marshall..

And, again, Marcus didn't actually work at the college(s). He was a museum curator who worked in tandem with different universities. He later became Marshall's dean in the 40's but until then he wasn't a member of its faculty (or Barnett's).

Last edited by Kooshmeister : 09-10-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #95
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
@Kooshmeister
Fact is: It's not in the movie! Do you really think Henry Jones Senior would wrote "Professor INDIANA Jones"??? *LOL*

Marcus didn't actually work at the college??? Source? Why is SS saying in the making of that Marcus is staying at home at the Marshall College in "Raiders"?

As you know I read ALL Indiana Jones-Books about making these movies. I've never heard from the makers about Indy and Marcus are switching between Marshall, Barnett and back to Marshall.. AND I've never heard from the makers that Brody did not work for the college in "Raiders"...

Can't wait to see your sources about it....
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #96
Way of the dodo
IndyFan
 
Way of the dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 241
I'm not being sarcastic, can anyone who believes its meant to be 2 different classrooms PLEASE explain why Spielberg shot them in the same exact location? thanks
Way of the dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #97
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan
 
Jeremiah Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 370
Since its your format
@Sankara
ahem
Theres also no source stating that Marcus works at the college, even the dialogue, as has been pointed out above, does not not make it clear weather or not he works in the College, all we get consistently, is that he runs a museum.
So I don't think Brody is an argument clincher.
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #98
Johnny Jones
IndyFan
 
Johnny Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The space between spaces
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@Kooshmeister
Fact is: It's not in the movie! Do you really think Henry Jones Senior would wrote "Professor INDIANA Jones"??? *LOL*
According to the diary prop from the computer game that coincided with the movie, Henry knew some of his son's exploits from newspaper articles, and therefore also of the nickname. He was insulted that his son had chosen the dog's name over the father's; but considering their relationship and Indy's feelings about "Junior," and the fact that none of Henry's other letters were ever replied to, he may well have given in just this once, to make sure Indy actually bothered to open it and find the diary.
Quote:
I'm sorry if that bothers you, but for me, most of the Fans, 99 Percent of the people who watched these movies AND the moviemakers there is only the Marshall College...
"The fans?" "People who watched these movies?" Sorry, but what the heck do you think everyone on this board is?
Johnny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #99
Kooshmeister
IndyFan
 
Kooshmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 801
Look, the easiest explanation for this is that Spielberg and Lucas intended for it to be the same college from Raiders, but the screenwriter(s) goofed and called it a different name, and the prop department followed suit when they made the parcel for the diary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@Kooshmeister
Fact is: It's not in the movie! Do you really think Henry Jones Senior would wrote "Professor INDIANA Jones"??? *LOL*

No, but the prop department people would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Marcus didn't actually work at the college??? Source?

The officially licensed books? The scripts and novelizations?

There's two kinds of "expanded universe" material. There's the stuff that is supplemental to the films (sourcebooks, novelizations, documentaries, etc.) and thus mostly canon, and then there's the stuff that is completely separate from the films (original novels, comics, games, etc.) and thus only kind of canon.

If only the films matter, what's the point of having sourcebooks, guidebooks, novelizations, etc., to give backstory and character details the movies themselves didn't have time for? Where's the fun in having no side stuff to expand on the movies? Like giving Dietrich and Toht first names? Or Vogel for that matter (the comic adaptation calls him Ernst Vogel, incidentally).
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #100
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Fact is: There is no freaking adress in the movie.

As you know I read ALL Indiana Jones-Books about making these movies. I've never heard from the makers about Indy and Marcus are switching between Marshall, Barnett and back to Marshall.. AND I've never heard from the makers that Brody did not work for the college in "Raiders"...

Can't wait to see your sources about it....
Ha ha. You're funny, Sankara. The address cannot be seen clearly in the movie but it is there.
Anyway, there's more evidence to prove that it's not Marshall College in Bedford, Connecticut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@Stoo
Old news and nobody studied "Indiana Jones" harder than me!
Obviously not. You're getting an F on this assignment!

1) There is a DVD chapter named "Barnett College".
2) SEVERAL students have a Barnett emblem on their notebooks ONSCREEN. (See metalinvader's link, Post #30)
3) The parcel paper prop has the Barnett College in Fairfield, NY address.
4) The cars in the film (including Indy's) have 1938 New York license plates.
Do tell, does the sedan look like it has a '38 NY plate or a '38 Connecticut plate?



5) Henry's address is 25 Pine Rd, Fermdale, New York.



6) Last but not least, it's says Barnett College right above the door of the building ONSCREEN.
Difficult to read from this screencap but you can make it out. Go watch your DVD (zoom in if you have to).
It reads Barnett College and you're busted, dude.

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.