The Ark Gag

Grave Robber

Was anyone else disappointed by the Ark gag?

I thought INDY was supposed to see the Ark and from that we'd get our laugh, however the way they did it appears that only the audience sees the Ark and Indy has no realization that its there. Not what I expected to happen.

Routledge

I know what you mean, but I don't mind it because, as an audience, we're meant to be frustrated on Indy's behalf, because he doesn't even know where the Ark is at all, let alone where in the warehouse. It's just Spielberg toying with us.

Perhilion

Right, I thought it worked well. Although it doesn't really make sense, since in the Lost Journal Indy apparently knows where the ark is.

thelaw

I have to admit, the novelization handles it much better, with Indy actually seeing the Ark, pausing for a second to ponder the implications (and, who knows, maybe trying to figure out a way to get it out of there), before the Russians bullets remind him of his current situation.

roundshort

Probably the single largest question we Indy fans have, What About the Ark? and to dangle it in front of us. Oh well, I enjoyed it.

Nurhachi1991

No that was a false Ark the real one is at Hasbro and only the ones who spend 80 bucks on crapy figures are worthy of the one true Ark..........

Avilos

Perhilion said:
Right, I thought it worked well. Although it doesn't really make sense, since in the Lost Journal Indy apparently knows where the ark is.

"The Lost Journal" is hardly Canon! Its a fun book but they did not put much thought into it. The movies always overrule what a book says anyways.

Avilos

thelaw said:
I have to admit, the novelization handles it much better, with Indy actually seeing the Ark, pausing for a second to ponder the implications (and, who knows, maybe trying to figure out a way to get it out of there), before the Russians bullets remind him of his current situation.

That is the type of thing that could never be conveyed on film. A book can show
Indy's thoughts but a movie can not.

OhioJones

I didn't like the novel version of that scene.

Indy has to much time to stare at it and says something cheesey like "Jeeze, would you look at that."

Not the reunion with the Ark one would expect.

I love the movie version. It beter potrays how close Indy was and is made more powerful, frustrating, and humerous all at the same time by Indy literally running into it and never noticing.

AHegele

OhioJones said:
I love the movie version. It beter potrays how close Indy was and is made more powerful, frustrating, and humerous all at the same time by Indy literally running into it and never noticing.

I agree. having him find out where the ark has been after all these years takes away some of the impact of the end to raiders. The cool thing is that the audience knew all this time, and right when we thing Indy might catch up to what we know, he misses it by a hair. funny stuff.

LostArk

How could you be disappointed by the Ark's cameo? It was great fan service along with the intro taking place in the warehouse from Raiders. One of my friends who hasn't seen the other movies said "I don't get it, why did they show that?" facepalm.jpg

DocWhiskey

LostArk said:
How could you be disappointed by the Ark's cameo? It was great fan service along with the intro taking place in the warehouse from Raiders. One of my friends who hasn't seen the other movies said "I don't get it, why did they show that?" facepalm.jpg

Everytime I seen it I always heard someone nearby turn to whoever they're sitting next to and say something like, "Wait, isn't that the....woah."

OhioJones

DocWhiskey said:
Everytime I seen it I always heard someone nearby turn to whoever they're sitting next to and say something like, "Wait, isn't that the....woah."

I heard a:

"It's the...(gasp)"

The Ark is a powerful thing ;)

davejames

I had hoped we would see more of it somehow-- especially since the entire time we're in the warehouse the thing is on our minds. Just seeing a corner of it in a broken box for half a second just didn't do it enough justice I don't think.

Heck, it's barely on the screen long enough to qualify as a fun "gag." At least to me.