Dovchenko?

Spriggan Jones

SKAbatula said:
Just curious, but how do we know that pic is Dovchenko?

Couldn't he just be some Russian goon?

He's the only one seen so far with that white egeale emblem on his hat and that goes along with the Dovchenko Adventure heroes figure. Not to mention that is Igor Jijikine. He can be seen in this teaser screenshot as the Red army Colonel getting blasted in face by Indy.

ColDovchenko.jpg

Here are the other pictures.
Indiana_Vs_Dovchenko_01.jpg

teaser_085.jpg

Indy2-1.jpg

Texas

Dimitri Diatchenko as Colonel Dovchenko?

Hey guys, check out this recent article I found that mentions actor Dimitri Diatchenko being Spalko's "right-hand Russian henchman." Could this imply that he's the infamous Colonel Dovchenko we've all heard about? I had assumed to this point that Igor Jijikine was playing the role of Dovchenko, but this article might possibly contradict that line of thought.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272619988.shtml

isaac_z

from diatchenko's website:
Dimitri Diatchenko takes his formidable on-screen presence a strong step forward in 2008 as a principal villain in director Steven Spielberg’s epic fourth film in the Indiana Jones series, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

incidentally, he does seem to like the ford finger:

filmography.jpg

also, i don't know if the soldier indy punches in the trailer has been confirmed to be jijikine, but this photo of diatchenko looks more like it to me...

Gangsta.jpg

i dunno, jijikine always seemed to me like he'd be too huge, too muscular to be that somewhat smaller looking soldier...

edit: but on second thought... i'm not so sure..

Last edited:

Spriggan Jones

After reading the article I am convinced Diatchenko is NOT playing Dovchenko. The article implies that Diatchenko was cast as a minor Soviet goon in the yale sequence but after seeing footage they were so impressed they decided to use him in later action set pieces. A major character like Dovchenko would already have been cast.

My speculation is that he'll be some kind of body gaurd to Spalko given the "right hand man" comment. It makes sense too. Spalko is most likely KGB or GRU, not regular army like Dovchenko. I'm getting a real Pat Roach vibe from the article. Have we found our jungle cutter fodder?:gun:

Texas

Spriggan Jones said:
After reading the article I am convinced Diatchenko is NOT playing Dovchenko. The article implies that Diatchenko was cast as a minor Soviet goon in the yale sequence but after seeing footage they were so impressed they decided to use him in later action set pieces. A major character like Dovchenko would already have been cast.

My speculation is that he'll be some kind of body gaurd to Spalko given the "right hand man" comment. It makes sense too. Spalko is most likely KGB or GRU, not regular army like Dovchenko. I'm getting a real Pat Roach vibe from the article. Have we found our jungle cutter fodder?:gun:

Yeah, now that I think about, I have to agree with you that Diatchenko is not playing Dovchenko. And since you mentioned Pat Roach, I'm thinking that Diatchenko might be the Rocket Sled soldier that Indy will brawl with, just like Indy's fights with the German Mechanic and the Giant Thuggee Guard.

Spriggan Jones

Texas said:
Yeah, now that I think about, I have to agree with you that Diatchenko is not playing Dovchenko. And since you mentioned Pat Roach, I'm thinking that Diatchenko might be the Rocket Sled soldier that Indy will brawl with, just like Indy's fights with the German Mechanic and the Giant Thuggee Guard.

Not 100% but the "Rocket Sled" solider looks more like Andrew Divoff. Seeing as how Diatchenko did some filming in Hawaii it would be unlikely that he's the goon on the rocket sled.

Spriggan Jones

Infact...
teaser_069.jpg

Could this be "Diatchenko"? Can't really see his face but he could be Spalko's henchmen/bodygaurd.

Just for reference here's the best known pic of "Colonel Dovchenko". And that is Igor Jijikine.

Indy2-1.jpg

|ZiR|

Spriggan Jones said:
Infact... Could this be "Diatchenko"? Can't really see his face but he could be Spalko's henchmen/bodygaurd.

Looks like him. Though the eyebrows look normal and not all overplucked like in that glamor shot of him isaac_z posted.

Also, terribly off-topic, I know; but geez, does that jungle background look awful or what. Here's hoping it'll be better on the screen.

isaac_z

Spriggan Jones said:
Just for reference here's the best known pic of "Colonel Dovchenko". And that is Igor Jijikine.

i can see that's jijikine, but has it ever been confirmed that the character in the picture is dovchenko? maybe i missed something...

i mean, it doesn't really mean much to argue about this, and i know this discussion has been played out time and time again, but i'm just a little skeptical that this picture (of jijikine as "truman") is of the same person as the one indy punches at the end of the teaser... though i could very well be wrong.

Michael24

Spriggan Jones said:
Not 100% but the "Rocket Sled" solider looks more like Andrew Divoff. Seeing as how Diatchenko did some filming in Hawaii it would be unlikely that he's the goon on the rocket sled.

From the brief (blurry) image of that character's face as he swings the chain at Indy, I didn't get the impression it was Divoff. Though it would be cool to see Ford and Divoff brawl. I'm so excited that Divoff is in an Indiana Jones movie! (y)

Spriggan Jones

isaac_z said:
i can see that's jijikine, but has it ever been confirmed that the character in the picture is dovchenko? maybe i missed something...

Not offically confirmed but all evidence points to such. I should note that his american disguise takes his russian rank into account. The white egale emble means he's a Colonel.

i mean, it doesn't really mean much to argue about this, and i know this discussion has been played out time and time again, but i'm just a little skeptical that this picture (of jijikine as "truman") is of the same person as the one indy punches at the end of the teaser... though i could very well be wrong.

Oh don't feel that way! This is fun! lol.(y) Again it comes down to the markings on his uniform. The "solider" Indy punches from the teaser is a Red Army Colonel. You can see the three star cluster on epaulette which signifies that. Just playing the odds, who else could it be?:whip:

ColDovchenko.jpg

Last edited:

Spriggan Jones

Michael24 said:
From the brief (blurry) image of that character's face as he swings the chain at Indy, I didn't get the impression it was Divoff. Though it would be cool to see Ford and Divoff brawl. I'm so excited that Divoff is in an Indiana Jones movie! (y)

There's a shot from the hat and Jacket video which has Indy and the goon up against the metal grate infront the engine intake that has a pretty good shot of his face. Like I said not 100% sure but I think it's Divoff. Here's some pics.

"Rocket Sled Soilder"
Rocketsled.jpg

Andrew Divoff
Divoff.jpg

Michael24

I don't know. I think it's obvious that's not Divoff in the metal grate picture. It looks more like the guy beside Ford in that "exterior" picture you posted. The small yellow patch is even in the same place on the left lapel, which Divoff doesn't have in that picture.

Spriggan Jones

Michael24 said:
I don't know. I think it's obvious that's not Divoff in the metal grate picture. It looks more like the guy beside Ford in that "exterior" picture you posted. The small yellow patch is even in the same place on the left lapel, which Divoff doesn't have in that picture.

I see what you mean. Good thing I said I wasn't 100% on the Divoff/Rocket Sled. Lol. I am 100% on the "Truman is Dovchenko". I'd put money on that. The Rocket sled goon could be Jijikine/Dovchenko, but if that's the case then it's very possible we might not get the grisly payoff from the Rocket sled like in the SMFM script.

Dr. Gonzo

Speaking of all this "Truman is Dovchenko" stuff...
...since we are in the spoiler section and all, I find it funny that his name is Truman and well you know Truman is the President who droped the atomic bomb... I think we may be getting an inside joke if you know what I mean..."DoomTown"... I think Dovchenko is Truman also in the sense that he's probably going to detonate that bomb that makes Indy make like a 6 pack of beer... hiding in a fridge. That is if Steven is a smart lad and that is the joke.

Michael24

Wasn't there talk awhile back that all the Russian name patches seem to use the names of former Presidents? So "Truman" would make sense if that's the case.