Shia LaBeouf announces retirement

Pale Horse

Staff member
Shia 'Dick Dry Fuzz' La'Douche said:
?In light of the recent attacks against my artistic integrity, I am retiring from all public life.?

Nice out there Shia. 'Public' life. So, he'll be a recluse making films still. Because that's a private enterprise. And he'll be contractually obligated to do the press junkets, so we'll still see him.

I'm reminded of Jack Sparrow:

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for.

Not much of a retirement, if you ask me.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
He did at least retire his right mandibular lateral incisor:
'He pulled out his own tooth during the first few weeks of filming and then refused to shower for weeks on end so he could better understand how his character would have felt living in the trenches.’
As seen here.

The rest of him just needs to make it to June and his 28th birthday...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:
The rest of him just needs to make it to June and his 28th birthday...

How the Raven's existed so long without a death pool is beyond me. Maybe it's for the best. But I like your thinking here, (despite the morbidity of it).

Joe Brody

Ever Been Bit By A Dead Bee?

I'm with everyone when it comes to Shia. But I'll say this, it was Spielberg who found him in a kids movie and annointed him the next-big-thing and put him in a couple of big movie franchises. Now the kid is looking like a weak vessel and may well be self destructing. If so, Spielberg shouldn't cut ties with the kid. You stand by and show support.

It's no Casablanca, Big Sleep or Maltese Falcon, but watch Bogart in To Have and Have Not and how he treats the drunk Eddie. Another good example is John Wayne in Rio Bravo with Dean Martin's character.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:

noun

asshat.jpg

111.jpg

498.jpg

MISSOURI JONES

I had always hoped we would see three more movies with harrison slowly backing off and i did enjoy crystal skull. Maybe it was the fact we got a new Indy film after so long but it was good to see.
If shia cant see the magicial franchise he was part of then maybe we need to say goodbye to the fedora and except there will be no more Indy films.

Montana Smith

MISSOURI JONES said:
If shia cant see the magicial franchise he was part of then maybe we need to say goodbye to the fedora and except there will be no more Indy films.

Mutt wasn't exactly integral to the future of the series.

KOTCS for all intents and purposes was a second try at filming Indy's last adventure. Indy taking the fedora back from Mutt implied that the son wasn't ready for the role, and the father wasn't ready to give it up. Indy takes the hat and the audience is left with the idea that he'll have further unfilmed adventures, as suggested before by his riding off into the sunset in 1989.

I doubt Lucas had any real intention of making a fifth film.

KOTCS was a novelty film in the same manner as A Good Day To Die Hard, and the other films attempting to regain past glory with more mature the actors (e.g., Expendables or Rambo).

Star Wars VII may be in that tradition, but it has at least been planned for many years, and focuses on numerous characters and a much bigger universe.

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:

Which would explain the general "Meh"-ness from Indyfans in the internet circles I frequent over Shia's spastic flailing in the media. The most important character in these movies is the eponymous one.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Which would explain the general "Meh"-ness from Indyfans in the internet circles I frequent over Shia's spastic flailing in the media. The most important character in these movies is the eponymous one.

Precisely.

It's pretty clear that a lot of the more, let's say 'traditional' fans, didn't like the idea of Mutt. He's a young pretender jibing at the main man for being over the hill. He's also a sop to the younger crowd who might be put off by the older main hero.

He's also a foil (pardon the fencing pun) in pushing youth to centre stage.

The narrative of KOTCS doesn't lend itself to future 'Indiana Jones' films.

What makes all the films special is Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones. That also makes it a very small and tightly focussed world. He has companions on his journeys but they aren't constant.

Star Wars has it much easier, since Han Solo is only one of a number main characters. The story could follow the lives of a number of protagonists and travel to countless worlds, and it's still Star Wars. So long as it's faithful to the Original Trilogy.

Forbidden Eye

Montana Smith said:

KOTCS for all intents and purposes was a second try at filming Indy's last adventure. Indy taking the fedora back from Mutt implied that the son wasn't ready for the role, and the father wasn't ready to give it up. Indy takes the hat and the audience is left with the idea that he'll have further unfilmed adventures, as suggested before by his riding off into the sunset in 1989.

I doubt Lucas had any real intention of making a fifth film.

Well Lucas did say leading up to KOTCS that ideas/plans for a Mutt Williams spin-off were in the works. A while after that though, he claimed he was "joking" and Lucasfilm confirmed no such plans were there. One has to wonder if he was actually joking or if he was really serious about plans and it was only after Kingdom was released and the audience showed no real reaction towards Mutt, unlike the same way they did for say Henry Jones Sr. that he decided to scrap all ideas for it.

Says a lot that the news Sean Connery wasn't going to appear in Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull received more reaction than news Shia LaBeouf will likely not return to Indiana Jones.

KingdianaJones7

Montana Smith said:
Precisely.

It's pretty clear that a lot of the more, let's say 'traditional' fans, didn't like the idea of Mutt. He's a young pretender jibing at the main man for being over the hill. He's also a sop to the younger crowd who might be put off by the older main hero.

He's also a foil (pardon the fencing pun) in pushing youth to centre stage.

The narrative of KOTCS doesn't lend itself to future 'Indiana Jones' films.

What makes all the films special is Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones. That also makes it a very small and tightly focussed world. He has companions on his journeys but they aren't constant.

Star Wars has it much easier, since Han Solo is only one of a number main characters. The story could follow the lives of a number of protagonists and travel to countless worlds, and it's still Star Wars. So long as it's faithful to the Original Trilogy.

I couldn't have put it better myself. :)

Gear

Could either be symptoms of the Hollywood Hell that 'stars' have to sink or swim in.

... Or, who knows, maybe signs of MK-Ultra-type breakdown of programming:

Perhaps grains of both?

Regardless, everyone should let this guy be until he collects himself.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Just write it in that Mutt was really Belloq's kid, and Indy can disown him.

Belloq went Mr. Crispy before Mutt was conceived.

Which was unfortunate because I'm sure Indy would love to disown him.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
Belloq went Mr. Crispy before Mutt was conceived.

Which was unfortunate because I'm sure Indy would love to disown him.

Who really knows what all Belloq and Marion did in that tent. I heard the desert nights can get mighty cold.