Which movie had the best traps?

RocketSledFight

yodazone said:
The "Temple of Doom" spike squeezing room is the best one for me. And I loved how Kate Capshaw's butt pushed the wall/lever at the end of the sequence. Best musical score too.

"Let me in!"
"Let us out!"
"Let me in!'
"No, let us out!"

Benraianajones

RocketSledFight said:
"Let me in!"
"Let us out!"
"Let me in!'
"No, let us out!"

Indy:"You can do it - feel inside!"
Willie: "You feel inside!"

And love how she caves and shouts "Okay!".

I really like The Last Crusades traps, they all come together at the end as a trio to be passed. Up until that point in the end, we had not especially seen any so I think it makes the finale even better.

Raiders also has good traps, but they don't do it for me as much as on LC. I love the "only the pentient man will pass" theme too, very eerie and haunting and glorious, as is the grail they are so close to aquiring. The music sort of reflects the "life/death" aspect of the grail room quite well.

I wish the retracting staircase in KOTCS had gone on for a bit longer though, but I really like the idea of it.

Jones_Happens

Benraianajones said:
Indy:"You can do it - feel inside!"
Willie: "You feel inside!"

And love how she caves and shouts "Okay!".

I really like The Last Crusades traps, they all come together at the end as a trio to be passed. Up until that point in the end, we had not especially seen any so I think it makes the finale even better.

Raiders also has good traps, but they don't do it for me as much as on LC. I love the "only the pentient man will pass" theme too, very eerie and haunting and glorious, as is the grail they are so close to aquiring. The music sort of reflects the "life/death" aspect of the grail room quite well.

I wish the retracting staircase in KOTCS had gone on for a bit longer though, but I really like the idea of it.
Yeah, the retracting staircase is a great trap!

Jack La Fraze

About the whole entire directions for getting past the breath of God trap; I mean, either Indy saw the second blade coming and rolled out of the way, or the original writers of the mystical directions thought that people would have the good sense enough to roll out of the way as soon as they bowed down. Just my two bits.:hat:

NLogan

Jack La Fraze said:
About the whole entire directions for getting past the breath of God trap; I mean, either Indy saw the second blade coming and rolled out of the way, or the original writers of the mystical directions thought that people would have the good sense enough to roll out of the way as soon as they bowed down. Just my two bits.:hat:

Maybe as he was busy kneeling being penitent he saw the crack in the floor that the blade would come from. As the first one whizzed over his head he deduced that the crack he was on would produce another and quickly rolled forward as it would be the fastest way to escape from a kneeling position. Indy always did think quickly on his feet (or knees)

BadDates

NLogan said:
Maybe as he was busy kneeling being penitent he saw the crack in the floor that the blade would come from. As the first one whizzed over his head he deduced that the crack he was on would produce another and quickly rolled forward as it would be the fastest way to escape from a kneeling position. Indy always did think quickly on his feet (or knees)

I think that's spot-on and definitely the way that I would interpret what happens in that scene. I suppose that it could be that the clues to the challenges were incomplete; that Henry Sr had recorded, knowingly or otherwise, only partial versions of what was originally written. (Am I right in recalling that the source of the clues isn't given?)

nitzsche

I think it's Raiders for me as well - the opening temple/idol scene, especially the floor triggers and darts.

ToD was a fun trap, but sort of a trash compactor 2.0 feel to it.

LC final challenges had some gravitas to them and there was suspense, but the traps themselves are flawed in their concepts and execution. All three of them are flawed logically. Especially the 'path of God' trial. The way the 'J' rock crumbles like plaster and the fact that Indy holds on to another letter that should have also fallen.

lancetoris

Travis85 said:
Which Indy movie do you think had the best traps? I'm going to say Last Crusade had the best traps, but the spike pit in Temple of Doom is one of my fav's.

I was always fond of the spike room in Doom. A little cliche, but classic Indy.

Crusade>Raiders

Its a tie betwen Crusade and Raiders. I mean, Raiders opening traps are classic, but as you can see I'm REALLY fond of the ones in Crusade. I always love the idea behind the second and third one.

The Man

Crusade>Raiders said:
Its a tie betwen Crusade and Raiders. I mean, Raiders opening traps are classic, but as you can see I'm REALLY fond of the ones in Crusade. I always love the idea behind the second and third one.

The 'Leap Of Faith' is simple yet genius.

Dust McAlan

It's hard to top Radiers' opening sequence, with the light trap, the darts and the weight trap. Temple has only one trap, the spiked room, but it's a helluva doozy of a trap. Everytime I see it I think "Man, the Thuggee were not ****ing around with that trap." But Crusade holds a special place in my heart because those traps had instructions. Cryptic ones, yes, but instructions. And if you pass the test, you're worthy. It's a trap with a purpose: to sift out the worthy from the unworthy, a little more thoughtful than just keeping someone out. So Crusade gets my vote.

Goonie

The opening of Raiders is the best. I do hope that if they do an Indy 5, that it has more booby traps in it.

The Goonies had some good booby traps.

michael

I'd say the 3 challenges at the end of Last Crusade. I remember loving the build up as to what they would be.

Honorable mention: TOD Spike Room

Gear

I thought the traps in the Hovitos Temple were quite cunning and elaborate, especially the boulder.

Swindle

I always thought the traps in LC was bad. Saturday Night Live parody bad.

It just didn't seem real.

The stuff in the opening of Raiders felt real. They had credibility. Indy and Marion being left in the Well of Souls. That seemed sooo horrible and miserable.

LC was cartoonish. The invisible bridge. Pick a cup, any cup (even though anyone with a passing knowledge of Jesus would know not to pick one of those gold cups? come on!). Penitent man trap... SUCKED! Why did Indy have to roll? It seemed like a BS inclusion to trick up people.

Spike room was good in ToD. I also like Indy being trapped at the center of the bridge. Horrible, no-way-out situations for Indy is great. Left on a plane without a pilot was fun, too bad the solution was cringe worthy.