Possible MacGuffin - Skulls? [SPOILERS]

misnomer

perfect. I remember, as a kid, reading one of those thick "encyclopeidia of the paranormal" type books, and read a crystal skull story that scared the **** out of me. Basically, long story short. Crystal skull appears in english manor. no one knows where it came from. when people tried to move it, it would start screaming the house down.

:dead:

cant say im not dissapointed about this script involving aliens though, i never liked the saucerman from mars scriptment.

Indy1986

by the way i was just thinking that the opening scene actually can't take place on area 51....if it is right that the movie will be somehow related to aliens then the opening scene has to be about something that is not related to aliens. every indiana jones movie always started with a scene that was about an artefact or a story that has not do do with the main story

MsIndy07

Thanks for the article. I think the use of the crystal skulls is a great object for Indy. I don't like any idea of Indy IV and aliens. But if it ties into the crystal skulls somehow, it could work. As long as we dont' see UFO's and little green people running around!

effin

we will not see little aliens in the movie, there is no way. However alien technology or e.t.'s could play a part in the theme IMHO

Johan

If I recall my Indy literature there was a crystal skull in a few of the books. And If I also recall the crystal skull cursed Indy and made his life miserable (even to the point of killing his wife Diedre)...SO why in the world would he go after the thing again? Maybe he thought his luck changed...OR he is going out with blanchette and thought this might be a good way to bump off Marion.

indyt

Johan said:
If I recall my Indy literature there was a crystal skull in a few of the books. And If I also recall the crystal skull cursed Indy and made his life miserable (even to the point of killing his wife Diedre)...SO why in the world would he go after the thing again? Maybe he thought his luck changed...OR he is going out with blanchette and thought this might be a good way to bump off Marion.

You are correct. The McCoy novels centered around this crystal skull. Upon studying crystal skulls it seems that they are related to several things, aliens, Atlantis, etc. I sure am worried about this alien thing. I just dont want everything that Indy has discovered be related to aliens. I want the supernatural element to continue, not everything boiling down to alien tech.

Finn

Staff member
Johan said:
Unlike Star Wars, there is no official canon outside the movies for Indiana Jones (I don't know what's the stance with YIJC though). Of course it'd be preferable if all the writers followed the works of the others with the rights to write about the same character, but they have no obligations whatsoever to make sure that things don't contradict with something earlier presented in the expanded world of Indy.

Johan

I know but they shouldn't follow a similar artifact anyway that has been in books that many fans have read. There are plenty of artifacts out there to choose from.

Finn

Staff member
However, still way larger majority of this movie's viewers are those who have not read the book in question.

It'll be interesting to see how original this flick finally manages to be or do we get a picture put together of many recycled pieces...

Keep in mind all though, that this Crystal Skulls thingy is still a rumor, like plenty of these other "revelations" as well. I personally won't start analyzing these things before they've been proven to be valid.

Stoo

Finn said:
there is no official canon outside the movies for Indiana Jones (I don't know what's the stance with YIJC though).
Considering the film trilogy was legitimately released on VHS as Chapters 23-25 of
The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones, there's no question that the TV series
is official canon.

Finn

Staff member
So we can say that all things that have been shot on film are canon (with possible exception being the old Indy bookends). That leaves us with books, comics and video games (with plenty of them certainly fitting to the timeline, of course).

There's one exception though... I can't recall the source, but I remember reading or hearing somewhere that FoA would be canon.

Stoo

Agreed. Cool fact about "Fate of Atlantis" if that is true...

"Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World" once had an episode on TV about crystal skulls.
Very intriguing objects, indeed. Plus, isn't the Indy ride in the Japanese Disneyworld
called Temple of the Crystal Skull?:dead:

Dr.Sartorius

Stoo said:
Considering the film trilogy was legitimately released on VHS as Chapters 23-25 of
The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones, there's no question that the TV series
is official canon.

Yes, YIJC is for the most part canon. On the official Indy site the Indiana Jones biography refrences events depicted on the TV show and in the Indy novels.

Finn

Staff member
Henry Jones Junior said:
Like Star Wars they'll only retcon what directly disputes the movies.
I think ALL Indiana Jones extended fiction (possibly apart from Desktop Adventures) is fit in with the movies.

However, there are pieces that do not fit with each other, so all that can't be canon.