Sideshow fertility Idol Prop Replica!

ROB98374

mfisher said:
Not going to be out of plastic... it will be plated polystone... base is also polystone... much better quality than "a chunk of plastic"... if you want something cheap, buy the 20 dollar idol bank...

I don't want something cheap. But I think the price is too high for something that came out of a mold. The PF figures are detailed, have clothes and other items that make them worth the money. This just seems to be priced too high for what it is. They have similar ones on ebay for $50.

If it turns out to be really nice, I may buy it. For now, I think I will wait on this.

mfisher

The ebay ones are seriously flawed in terms of accuracy.. most of those have the back of the head all screwed up with the hair coming all the way down to the base... this one is much closer to the real thing.. although it seems to have been based off of a stunt idol and not the hero used prop.. (which is a bummer)... although the price is steep.. the only other alternative for a realistic prop replica in the past has been one of the customs that went for around 400 bucks :eek: I never could scrape up that kind of dough for a movie nerd treasure.. but this I may be able to swing... ( although I may still tell the wife it was cheaper :hat: ) If they fixed some of the fine details ( shape of the mouth, eyes) I would be all over paying 200 bucks for it though..

monkey man

The high end companies seem to be trying to eliminate the resale market. Why sell an item for $30 to $50 if they see people reselling them for double or triple the money? Raise the price and make all the money. I have a feeling the resellers will have a hard time marking them up and selling them. Just look at Ebay. No one is getting more than retail for the Sideshow figures. At least not the last time I looked.
My guess is that these will show up on Ebay for less than $200.00. The question is, do I take that chance? Not sure.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
monkey man said:
The high end companies seem to be trying to eliminate the resale market. Why sell an item for $30 to $50 if they see people reselling them for double or triple the money? Raise the price and make all the money. I have a feeling the resellers will have a hard time marking them up and selling them. Just look at Ebay. No one is getting more than retail for the Sideshow figures. At least not the last time I looked.
My guess is that these will show up on Ebay for less than $200.00. The question is, do I take that chance? Not sure.

This stands while the items are in stock but when they run out that's a whole new thing. Take for example Master Replicas' Lightsaber series where you can find any of them at eBay far above it's retail value.

monkey man

I meant the Sideshow Indy figures as far as stagnant prices go. Sorry that I didn't make that clear.
I'm not too sure what happens to the props. You're probably right. I don't see the MR lightsabers dropping in value. That's why the decision to buy this one is hard for me.

I figure with an announced limited run of 1500, shiny (as opposed to the dull ebay ones), a pedestal and officially liscensed, it's worth it to me over the ebay castings, IMHO. I ordered mine.

I can't wait to see what they do next....Headpiece, skull, Grail, Sanakara stones..

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Ok, I was only sure it would not be 1:1. I'll certainly buy one either way. And I'm still waiting for a Holy Grail.

ROB98374

Mine will be arriving on Monday.
I went to Ikea today to buy another Detolf case for it. I hope it fits...

Let me know how the Detolf works. I measured one and had it on my Christmas list, and they were out of stock, through the holidays. Coincidentally they had thewm on sale for $19.99 as a 1 day special sale the 1st Tuesday of rhe new year....but were out of stock the week before.
I haven't made it back to Ikea since then, the closest is 2 hours away from me, but 10 minutes from my parents, conveniently. I did the idol on the flex pay so its not due for a couple weeks...

ROB98374

Not my picture, but others have aleady been receiving the idol.
Mine will be here Monday!
100_0011.jpg

indytim

My idol (No 102 of 1500 to be exact!) arrived this afternoon. It was quite exciting considering that I pre-ordered it last July and have wondered ever since what the item would finally be like once it showed up! And I can tell you now I'm not disappointed (y)

The idol itself is quite heavy (way heavier than a bag of sand, Dr Jones!) and has just the right lustre of gold paint ... shiny but slightly muted. The underside of the statue has a fabric-type base. I can appreciate why Sideshow chose to do this as it keeps the statue stable and prevents scratching.

The statue actually just stands on top of the pedestal. There are no pegs to keep it in place (like with the Indy statue). It just sits (or should that be squats) on top. I was worried that it might topple forwards due to the enlarged head but it seems to be perfectly balanced.

I now just have to work out where to display such a prize ... like the Old Man with his leg lamp in A Christmas Story :)

Anyway, I just took a few quick photographs to give you an idea of the reality of the idol and you can see I stood it next to my Sideshow Indy statue so that you get an idea of its size. Enjoy :hat:

Jack Panix

I finally decided to order one last week. I've been on the fence about it since the piece was first announced due to the price and the fact I'm not really much of a prop collector. But I decided to go ahead and get one. I had to put off a planned LEGO purchase of equal value for another month so I could get it, but I really love Indy stuff.

indytim said:
My idol (No 102 of 1500 to be exact!) arrived this afternoon. It was quite exciting considering that I pre-ordered it last July and have wondered ever since what the item would finally be like once it showed up! And I can tell you now I'm not disappointed (y)
Each Idol is individually numbered, huh? Everyone post what number they get!

The underside of the statue has a fabric-type base. I can appreciate why Sideshow chose to do this as it keeps the statue stable and prevents scratching.
I was wondering about this myself. I thought about putting some felt on the bottom of the Idol to keep it from being scratched.
So the pedestal is indeed polystone?

ROB98374

Jack Panix said:
I got my idol yesterday, #271!

It's got a dent in her left breast. :sick: Anyone else's like that? I may ask for a replacement. What do you guys think?

Idol with base

Idol (close-up)

Mine is like that too!
I didn't notice it until I looked for it! darn you!

Zoom in on indytim's pictures, and you will see the dent. I think they all probably have it.