TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #376
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
For some reason, this really made me laugh.
And, I agree; why be so obsessive with how Harry ages?
Who knows what the obsession is? Talk about laughing...this quote below is highly amusing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I think Harrison started looking long in the tooth in LC. Especially when you consider that in universe only 2 years are supposed to have passed since Raiders.
Oh, NO! Indy aged too much between 1936 and 1938! His facial continuity is off and it doesn't make sense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
So maybe there's a point where if you've argued about this for so long that maybe you're just got to agree to disagree and move on. I'd say you've both reached that point.
With all due respect, Violet, 3 posts from me over the span of 2 days is not arguing for "so long".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
The point is, the man looks ancient now. He's 70. Indy 5 isn't going to happen. He's a few years away from the retirement home.

I was pointing out the man aged badly. Accept it, wannabe mod. Even one of the mods called you obsessed, and not in a good way. You're a CREEP. You stalk my posts, you have this obsessive need to correct everybody else. Find a new hobby.
There you go, contradicting yourself again. In this very thread, 7-8 days before you wrote this, you said that a 66-year-old Harrison DOESN'T look bad.

See post #317
02-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Even in 2008 he didn't look that bad.
What will your opinion be next week?

P.S. Reading & remembering what someone has written does not make a "stalker". (It's your own fault if you can't remember what threads you've already started or refuse to use the search feature).

Last edited by Stoo : 02-28-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #377
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Who knows what the obsession is? Talk about laughing...this quote below is highly amusing:
Oh, NO! Indy aged too much between 1936 and 1938! His facial continuity is off and it doesn't make sense!
With all due respect, Violet, 3 posts from me over the span of 2 days is not arguing for "so long".
There you go, contradicting yourself again. In this very thread, 7-8 days before you wrote this, you said that a 66-year-old Harrison DOESN'T look bad.

See post #317
02-16-2012, 10:18 PM
What will your opinion be next week?

P.S. Reading & remembering what someone has written does not make a "stalker". (It's your own fault if you can't remember what threads you've already started or refuse to use the search feature).

And he was looking long in the tooth by LC. I stand by that. An actor's appearance kinda defines the character they're playing and when the guy looks older and weathered, their character is going to look the same way.
4 years (Technically 5 years if we're counting that filming was in 2007) can make a big difference in someone's appearance dude. 4 years ago Harrison was less jowly and less wrinkled.
And you basically copy down people's post names and recall posts of theirs from 2, 3, 4 years ago in an effort to trap them. One of the mods even said you are obsessed and not in a good way with playing at being a mod.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #378
Rivers
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by replican't
You talk as if Indiana Jones is an explorer worth exploring. From what I remember of the original trilogy, Raiders and Temple were pretty much straight ahead action adventures with a sexy funny Everyman Han Solo rogue kinda guy getting into scrapes, saving himself, kissing girls and escaping with the prize by the skin of his teeth. Then they made Last Crusade and instead of enriching a winning recipe by adding backstory to the main character, they handicapped him with a moany dad and 'emotional issues'. Yawntastic.

Fast forward 35 million years and Crystal Skullf*ck comes along and pretty much all the good stuff from the first 2 films has been jettisoned by film makers who not only forgot just how much they ruined the third one they thought it a good idea to make it even more about family and relationships. They might as well have put Indy in a care home and had a succession of relatives feeding him grapes - it would have been less sentimental and cheesy.

Get this - good adventure stories have characters shrouded in mystery. You know that scene at the beginning of Raiders where Spielberg masterfully reveals Indy's face only after we've seen the back of his head do all this cool stuff? Thats how you do this stuff properly - you create tension by giving the audience's minds space to join dots. What you don't do is signpost and fill in all the detail so far in advance there's no room for imaginative discourse.

.


So you cant have a good Indy movie because his character is developed and not shrouded in mystery??
Absolutely ridiculous
Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #379
Toht's Arm
IndyFan
 
Toht's Arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson
KOTCS has gotten a bad wrap..oh poor Indy has to rely on a young punk kid. I didnt see that at all..People like you must have watched the movie with your eyes closed. You did see the first of the movie right? Indy beating the bad guys up,climbing boxes,swinging on his whip,running across the beams,fighting,falling,getting away...

I actually quite enjoyed KoTCS, though it's easily the worst entry in the series, and I understand the complaints of many.

Your post however, mikieson, was genius, and got me excited enough to want to watch it again. I like your take on the film, and it's a nice change from getting bogged down by the bad bits...
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #380
mikieson
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht's Arm
I actually quite enjoyed KoTCS, though it's easily the worst entry in the series, and I understand the complaints of many.

Your post however, mikieson, was genius, and got me excited enough to want to watch it again. I like your take on the film, and it's a nice change from getting bogged down by the bad bits...

lol..thanks..you know if you pick apart any movie you'll find something that is "off"...I tend to not pick. I watch them to escape my bland,dull life. AND every Indy film has helped me escape. Thats what the movies are for, and thats what they do..Have fun watching it...
mikieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #381
replican't
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson
lol..thanks..you know if you pick apart any movie you'll find something that is "off"...I tend to not pick. I watch them to escape my bland,dull life. AND every Indy film has helped me escape. Thats what the movies are for, and thats what they do..Have fun watching it...

Film studies are serious, deep and rich endeavours, whether undertaken academically or on a fan basis - just as with literature or indeed any other media, criticism (which by definition can be both positive and negative) can help shed light in appreciating or understanding an art work.

Film as escapism is hardly a new thing. Raiders Of The Lost Ark fulfills that function perfectly and beautifully - which is why it always rates highly in top movie lists, regardless of genre.

Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, on the other hand - will never even scrape the foothills of those lists and is far more likely to be referenced in lists designed to show just how badly the industry got it wrong.

These things dont just happen out of thin air you know.
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #382
mikieson
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by replican't
Film studies are serious, deep and rich endeavours, whether undertaken academically or on a fan basis - just as with literature or indeed any other media, criticism (which by definition can be both positive and negative) can help shed light in appreciating or understanding an art work.

Film as escapism is hardly a new thing. Raiders Of The Lost Ark fulfills that function perfectly and beautifully - which is why it always rates highly in top movie lists, regardless of genre.

Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, on the other hand - will never even scrape the foothills of those lists and is far more likely to be referenced in lists designed to show just how badly the industry got it wrong.

These things dont just happen out of thin air you know.
Im just gald im "ME" and not someone that dissects movies,music,games NOR am I someone that cares what said entertainments rate..Ive seen bad movies..Ive seen HORRIBLE movies..I turn them off within 10min OR leave on while im on my pc and not paying attention to them..KOTCS I seen in theaters day one..and bought day one and have seen it probably 20x. SO it must not be what "I" feel is a bad movie.
mikieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #383
replican't
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 736
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySgi...ture=fvwp&NR=1

Indy 5? Oh come on - he looks like he's about to slip into a coma.
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #384
Silvor
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northern Norway
Posts: 125
It's pretty well known that Ford is very uncomfortable and nervous when dealing with crowds. He's always been this way.

It still baffles me how people can't seem to get this fact after so many years.

Take a look at this video where Jon Favreau interviews Ford from last June.
Doesn't look like he's about to fall into a coma to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4xdW...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Silvor : 02-29-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Silvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #385
Kernunnos
IndyFan
 
Kernunnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chesham, UK
Posts: 275
For all it's faults, I still enjoy watching Crystal Skull far more than I ever did watching Temple of Doom.
Kernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #386
Kernunnos
IndyFan
 
Kernunnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chesham, UK
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor
Take a look at this video where Jon Favreau interviews Ford from last June.
Doesn't look like he's about to fall into a coma to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4xdW...feature=relmfu

He's still Indy to me.
Kernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #387
Indy's brother
IndyFan
 
Indy's brother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the Map Room playing with a laser pointer
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by replican't
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySgi...ture=fvwp&NR=1

Indy 5? Oh come on - he looks like he's about to slip into a coma.

Looks like he did in KOTCS, but no makeup, lighting, or costume. As far as his demeanor, just as boring as he's ever been in public. No more, no less.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #388
Olliana
IndyFan
 
Olliana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 244
The first video is just a taste of his well-known, dry kind of humor and the second one just proves that he still can talk and interact very agil and ready witted.
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #389
Rivers
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 224
Looks fine to me...
Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #390
mikieson
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Good we all agree that INDY 5 should be made and that HF still looks incredible and needs to put on the gear..

so.....
mikieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #391
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
The point is, the man looks ancient now. He's 70. Indy 5 isn't going to happen. He's a few years away from the retirement home. The majority don't want to see an elderly Indy. And this whole thread is about how Harrison looks and how his age is (or isn't) an issue.
Funny that you are now playing the 'on-topic' card because it never mattered to you in the past. That said, if you're going to adhere to the purpose of this topic in regards to Indy 5, then why bother comparing the 39-year-old Ford with the 49-year-old Ford? (Not to mention your long 'wish-list' of how "Crystal Skull" should have been made.)

Anyway, you've repeatedly spoken about your desire to see Indy 5 set in the early 1960s (and even started *3* threads about it). That setting would require an older Harrison!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
He's also grown softer as a character. Would the Indy of the original trilogy have really believed Mac or forgiven his repeated treachery enough to try to save him at the end? This is a character who we're first introduced to when he without a moment's hesitation whips the gun out of a hired goon who's about to betray him, and then glares evily at said goon as the goon runs away. The only reasons he forgave Elsa's betrayal was because A) He loved her B) She was a woman, he has a soft spot for women and C) He realized she wasn't a real Nazi; She was much like him in many ways. Mac was a "friend" who couldn't care less if Indy got killed as long as he got the riches at Akator. Would Mac have been able to pull the wool over Indy's eyes and regain his trust after repeated betrayals in 1935, 1936, 1938?

A) He loved her B) She was a woman, he has a soft spot for women and C) He realized she wasn't a real Nazi;
You're forgetting (or conveniently ignoring) the fact that Indy tried to save the Thuggee Guard from death by rock crusher.

Using Raiders112390's logic:
A) Indy loved the Thuggee Guard.
B) The guard was a big, burly man and Indy has a soft spot for big, burly men.
C) Indy realized that the guard was a fellow human being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I was pointing out the man aged badly. Accept it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
And he was looking long in the tooth by LC. I stand by that. An actor's appearance kinda defines the character they're playing and when the guy looks older and weathered, their character is going to look the same way.
4 years (Technically 5 years if we're counting that filming was in 2007) can make a big difference in someone's appearance dude. 4 years ago Harrison was less jowly and less wrinkled.
Like I said before, you are much too obsessed with Harrison's wrinkles and your statements are inconsistent and contradictory.

According to Raiders112390:
1989 - Harrison aged badly.
2008 - Harrison didn't look bad.
2012 - Harrison aged badly.

All within the space of 2 weeks! Raiders112390, you are mixed up and your opinions don't make any sense. Your opinions change like a blowing wind, traveling from hither to thither. This makes it difficult to understand your true position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
And you basically copy down people's post names and recall posts of theirs from 2, 3, 4 years ago in an effort to trap them. One of the mods even said you are obsessed and not in a good way with playing at being a mod.
I would ask you to provide examples of me trying to "trap" someone from 3-4 year-old posts but you won't be able do it because:

1 - They don't exist.
2 - You refuse to use the search function.

Regardless, this has NOTHING to do with Harrison's age so I don't know why you're fixating on it. (Do I need to mention the fact that you were suspended *3* times because you didn't listen to the mods?)
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #392
Kernunnos
IndyFan
 
Kernunnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chesham, UK
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson
Good we all agree that INDY 5 should be made and that HF still looks incredible and needs to put on the gear..

so.....

He looks his age, albeit bloody good for his age. Certainly good enough for another Indy movie or two.

Should Indy 5 be made?

Nobody wants more Indy films than me. I'd like another two to make up a second trilogy. The doubt I've got right now is whether Lucas and Spielberg are capable, or willing, to give us a movie that does the character justice.
Kernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #393
Rivers
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 224
If George plans on retiring from major motion pictures, what better way to end his career than doing one last movie with two of his best friends.
That is what I think he should do and that is exactly what I think he is gonna do.
Bring on Indy 5!
Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #394
Indy's brother
IndyFan
 
Indy's brother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the Map Room playing with a laser pointer
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers
If George plans on retiring from major motion pictures, what better way to end his career than doing one last movie with two of his best friends.
That is what I think he should do and that is exactly what I think he is gonna do.
Bring on Indy 5!

I would love to hear Lucas say something like this.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.