Did Sean Connery hate the KOTCS script?

MaxPhactor23

But just because he?s done embarrassingly poor film in the past does equate to him not thinking this script was bad whatsoever. He very well might have thought it was crap. I cannot see him saying no to a script he found good or even amazing...and KOTCS was far from that...(n)

The Man

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/khfFLmk2a1k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/khfFLmk2a1k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
Yeah, but he's also refused to be in really good movies too. The guy is notoriously bad at picking scripts.

Exactly... So I think it's difficult to infer anything from his decision (apart from the obvious).

Darth Vile

The Man said:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/khfFLmk2a1k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/khfFLmk2a1k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

LOL. Priceless... :D

Joe Brody

Major West said:
Connery lives in Spain. He's 78 and barely leaves his house unless it's to go to the Golf course.

. . . .or to hook up with Annie Leibovitz to shoot a Louis Vuitton ad.

I don't know why people are giving the speculators here such a hard time. The movie was trash - so its a fair assumption that Connery passed due to the poor quality of the script. John Hurt's quotes are proof enough for me. He's an accomplished enough actor that pretty much told it like it is.

Darth Vile

Joe Brody said:
. . . .or to hook up with Annie Leibovitz to shoot a Louis Vuitton ad.

I don't know why people are giving the speculators here such a hard time. The movie was trash - so its a fair assumption that Connery passed due to the poor quality of the script. John Hurt's quotes are proof enough for me. He's an accomplished enough actor that pretty much told it like it is.

Because it's an ill informed opinion... :rolleyes:

_Mothy_

Connery was extremely wise to stay in retirement, his reputation would have been cut to shreds. But, get this, just because he had the right idea to not do the film, they kill his character off! What a joke.

michael

_Mothy_ said:
Connery was extremely wise to stay in retirement, his reputation would have been cut to shreds. But, get this, just because he had the right idea to not do the film, they kill his character off! What a joke.
Well I guess that would sort of depend on when they had the wedding idea, because if he didn't want to do it, and they had the idea of the wedding (and really wanted to top off of the movie that way), do they really have a choice?

_Mothy_

Here's a hint, don't make the shamefully bad fourth film, then Sean's character is still alive in that universe. The film is made now, it's too late. And what a damn shame that is.

Udvarnoky

To be fair the movie's reasons for killing off Connery are story-related. If you can't get Connery back why not use his character's death to further drive home the theme of Indy's isolation? The real problem is the way they handled his off-screen death - in a single sentence, "here's our explanation for the non-participant actor" sort of way.

Mickiana

Good point, Udvarnoky. In terms of the story line, Indy's dad is getting pretty old. Of course, on the other hand, if he had decided to do the movie, we just would have had a really old Henry Jones Senior. If you think about it, he was still in the movie, just in a single frame!

_Mothy_

It's just a slap in the face to Connery's magnificent performance in TLC. They both rode off into the sunset, as father and son. It should have ended there.

Grizzlor

First, Sean Connery has been retired for a few years now. He doesn't do any films. When he saw that he's only really a cameo at the start and I assume end of the film, he declined.

Second, while I am a gigantic Connery fan, it's pretty clear he's rarely picked good scripts in the last 15 years. Most of the movies have been terrible.

deckard24

Udvarnoky said:
Was I the only one who didn't feel any emotional resonance with Henry Sr.'s death? I mean, Harrison is great in the scene, but it's handled in such a hamfisted way, with the two portraits of the two unavailable actors (due to death and retirement respectively) being shown and pointed to within a single line. It was forced and hard to take very seriously.

"Brutal couple of years, eh Charlie? First Dad, then Marcus, then Shorty in that threshing machine mishap, then Sallah collapsing backwards into an open manhole, then Willie skydiving without a parachute, then Earl Weber pogosticking blindfolded into that crater of wet cement. And the weird thing is, it all happened on the same weekend."
LMAO!!:hat:

Seriously though, I agree completely with your take on the handing of the scene! I just watched KOTCS again last night, and I gotta say not only has the film become extremely boring and tedious for me to watch, but certain scenes that were handled so poorly (like the above mentioned) jump out at me even more with each new viewing! I was really hoping it would be otherwise, since I found it way more entertaining the last time I saw it, but that seems to be changing rapidly.

As for Connery's participation in KOTCS, I think his absence is due to both his disdain for the script and the lack of prominence his character would have. If the script was fantastic, I highly doubt he would have used the excuse of having just too much 'fun' with retirement to make an exception. Joe Brody made a good point earlier, Connery's had no problem getting together with Annie Leibovitz to shoot Louis Vuitton ads, but a cameo in KOTCS is too much work? Yeah it would take more time, but the payday would be considerably higher.