Any News on XP Probs?

Steve_in_nepal

I'm just posting this in the hope that there has been a development in dealing with installing and playing Infernal Machine when the OS is Windows XP. I would really like to play the game - its gathering dust (I played it a few years back on a friend's machine...it was so annoying to finally buy a new computer only to find that IM wouldn't work with XP).

So I keep hoping that someone somewhere finds a solution. At the moment the alternative seems to be to try and buy a new hard drive, install it as the main HD, buy and install W98 SE and then have a go - a bit drastic I'm sure you will agree.

Clintwood

I played IF on XP just recently.

It did not run completly without problems, but if you can accept some bugs it is playable.

- First of all, you must update your XP installation to the latest servicepacks and hotfixes. The easiest way is to use Windows update.
- Especially one hotfix is crucial. It's called Q327979_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe It refers to knowledge database #327979, but I think it will be included if you use Windows update.
- Another good idea is to update your video drivers.
- Install Indy patch 1.2 (I already had that version of the game).

This should make tha game playable, but I still had some errors.
- The game crashes in level 7.
- Several problems at level 15, som stuff simply don't work (doors doesn't open, elevetors doesn't start etc.)

To solve these problems I had to use some saved games downloaded from ftp://ftp.soulianis.com/archive/indy/ (it's an Indyfan that provides those).

That still didn't solve the crtash at level 7 though, so I simply had to continue with level 8.

Anyhow, I continued tha game (without level 7) and I thiught it was worth all the effort I've put in solving bugs!

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
You also may want to try running the program in an emulated mode. Go to c:\program files\lucasarts\infernal machince\ then right click on the game .exe file and choose properties, under compatibility you can choose to run the game as if it were in Windows 98 or such. It should work now.

Finn

Staff member
<small>And as an add to Aaron's good advice: you find the .exe in the directory you've installed the IM on your hard disk, not the example directory path he provided there...</small>

Clintwood

:rolleyes: Sorry guys, you are quite right. You also need to run the game in Wíndows 98/Me compability. I forgot about that (perhaps I thought it was pretty obvious when you have problems with older games at an XP machine...)