Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Stoo

The Man said:
Hmmm...

*sigh*
More in-depth commentary from The Man.:rolleyes: What is the relation between your dislike of LaBeouf (& the possibility of him being in Indy 5) and the "Trilogy on Blu-ray"?:confused:
Rocket Surgeon said:
I'd like to thank the tireless efforts, clear headed and sober inspiration: Stoo. My gosh, did they really invite Ronald Lacey? (Music Swells)...uh thank to...

Comercial.
Geez, Rocket, you're making me blush.:eek: Hats off to your efforts as well.:hat:
Saturday, August 20, 8:30 p.m., Shed
Film Night at Tanglewood
Boston Pops Orchestra
John Williams, conductor
Gil Shaham, violin
Morgan Freeman, narrator

Film Night celebrates the music of the movies. John Williams is joined by frequent collaborator Gil Shaham in a program featuring film music arranged for violin and orchestra. Also on the program will be Mr. Williams' nostalgic evocation of early 20th-century America, The Reivers, with special guest narrator, Morgan Freeman.
"Shed". This must be the Tanglewood Music Shed. I have a bootleg video of The Who's blistering, 1970 performance at that venue. Good quality image but it ain't Blu-ray.:p

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
More in-depth commentary from The Man.:rolleyes: What is the relation between your dislike of LaBeouf (& the possibility of him being in Indy 5) and the "Trilogy on Blu-ray"?:confused:

I'd ask TheHDRoom about that one, Stoo.

Besides, I don't see where your distaste for your fellow Raveners gets to be part of the topic of most of the threads it shows up in. You're far better than this recent tendency of yours.

Stoo

O.K. I must admit, I did not read the article that Moedred linked to because he called it "unofficial speculation" which I usually try and avoid. Now that I've read it, I can (sort of) understand why The Man & Rocket quoted those bits. (Rocket quoted his own comment from the page.;)) Honestly, I thought The Man's quote was from something else much more legitimate than some fan's blog. My apologies.:eek:

Even though the blog is just ramblings from a guy who can't even get the date of the "Raiders" 30th anniversary right and who seems to firmly believe, without question, that the Chicago Indy Convention is genuine, I do agree that Blu-ray releases of the Indy trilogy will probably not appear this year since the "Star Wars" ones are slated for September 2011. (It's only a matter of time before Indy 1-3 see the light of day and I can wait.)

Attila, indeed my behaviour has been a bit on the bad side lately but I generally like most of the fellow Raveners and ALWAYS give compliments & thanks where they are due. However, you must admit that stupidity is, at times, difficult to tolerate. (In this case, it's my stupidity at the fore.)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
...I do agree that Blu-ray releases of the Indy trilogy will probably not appear this year since the "Star Wars" ones are slated for September 2011. (It's only a matter of time before Indy 1-3 see the light of day and I can wait.)

Hard to disagree with that. Probably 2012 sometime; perhaps they're waiting for a final decision on whether there will be an Indy V.

Stoo said:
Attila, indeed my behaviour has been a bit on the bad side lately but I generally like most of the fellow Raveners and ALWAYS give compliments & thanks where they are due. However, you must admit that stupidity is, at times, difficult to tolerate. (In this case, it's my stupidity at the fore.)

Yeah, that's all valid enough, and you certainly are generous with the approbation when you feel it's merited. Just reminding you you're one of the good guys, but that that's also a group that we're pleased to have seen grow over our years here.

Indy's brother

Attila the Professor said:
perhaps they're waiting for a final decision on whether there will be an Indy V.

I've been mulling over the Blu Ray release through the lens of a potential Indy 5 as well....(big surprise). People can say what they want about Lucas, but he's no slouch when it comes to business acumen. As much money as he's already made off of SW, the 30th anniversary of ROTLA is the perfect time to milk the IJ franchise for some real bucks. Yet we've heard nothing about a new box set. It doesn't make any sense to me, unless he's got something else bigger up his sleeve. The OT is already in HD, as we all know they've been broadcast this way in the past, as well as very recently. It wouldn't take too awful much to package them up really pretty with a few new extras and throw 'em up on the shelf of your local Walmart, so there's got to be some kind of rationale behind his holding out on this. The only logical thing to my mind is an event bigger than the 30th to inspire a bigger feeding frenzy. Or he really is bat-poop insane. If they were going to be released again this year to commemorate Raider's birthday, the marketing campaign for the release should have begun gathering steam by now. At least, that's my thinking on it.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
I've been mulling over the Blu Ray release through the lens of a potential Indy 5 as well....(big surprise). People can say what they want about Lucas, but he's no slouch when it comes to business acumen. As much money as he's already made off of SW, the 30th anniversary of ROTLA is the perfect time to milk the IJ franchise for some real bucks. Yet we've heard nothing about a new box set. It doesn't make any sense to me, unless he's got something else bigger up his sleeve.

Something special up his sleeve?

Lucas?

He's putting the finishing touches to his Indiana Jones Original Trilogy Special Editions. Not only will we see Raiders on blu-ray, but we'll see the the Cairo Swordsman pull a gun and shoot first. (Lucas and Speilberg, both having gone soft in their old age!)

This actually does worry me, knowing how one of them softened Star Wars, and the other softened E.T. I want to see the original visions in all their brutal blu-ray glory.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
Something special up his sleeve?

Lucas?

He's putting the finishing touches to his Indiana Jones Original Trilogy Special Editions. Not only will we see Raiders on blu-ray, but we'll see the the Cairo Swordsman pull a gun and shoot first. (Lucas and Speilberg, both having gone soft in their old age!)

This actually does worry me, knowing how one of them softened Star Wars, and the other softened E.T. I want to see the original visions in all their brutal blu-ray glory.

Softened Star Wars?

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
Softened Star Wars?

The Greedo shot first thing.

He's going soft on his heroes. Even had Mutt trying to lure Indy out of his bad old ways.

The SW prequels were mainly just soft in the head.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
The Greedo shot first thing.

He's going soft on his heroes. Even had Mutt trying to lure Indy out of his bad old ways.

The SW prequels were mainly just soft in the head.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with "going soft". Revenge of the Sith contained more dismemberment and death than any other Star Wars or Indy movie I've seen. 'Greedo shooting first' may have been a mistake (and a change too far), but seems to me that ole' George ain't averse to a bit of blood and guts. All this, "Indy didn't use his gun in anger" talk is, IMHO, just a way for 30 something movie fans to justify liking (or not liking) what are pretty goofy movies. I'm pretty sure Anakin Skywalker killed more often in Attack of the Clones than Luke did in Empire, but which is the better movie? ;)

Last edited:

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
Softened Star Wars?
Besides the Greedo thing, certain shots of the guards being hit by laser blasts during the fight in the prison block were slightly trimmed so that the burning holes in their bodies are no longer seen.(n) Regardless of how much death & dismemberent there is in "Sith", the new version of "Star Wars" (A New Hope) is undeniably softer than the 1977 original...whether you realize it or not. So, Montana is correct in that regard.
Indy's brother said:
The OT is already in HD, as we all know they've been broadcast this way in the past, as well as very recently.
As far as I'm aware, the only difference between the HD broadcasts and the regular DVD versions is the replaced jeep/cliff-shot in "Raiders". Apart from that, Montana might be worrying for nothing.;)

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I'm not sure it has anything to do with "going soft". Revenge of the Sith contained more dismemberment and death than any other Star Wars or Indy movie I've seen. 'Greedo shooting first' may have been a mistake, but seems to me that ole' George ain't averse to a bit of blood and guts.

I don't trust him to stand by his rogues. He didn't stand by the defining moment of Han's character in the cantina. With KOTCS he made Indy more respectable.

The only reason Revenge of the Sith had more violence was that Lucas wrote that part of the story back in his days of greatness - he knew he had to finally get that soppy Anakin into Vader's armour.

Best Lucas just makes sure he gets the original Indy trilogy out on blu-ray before he has a chance to tamper with the films, then let go of Indy. At the very least let someone else, with a less squeamish conscience, handle Indy's future.

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
Besides the Greedo thing, certain shots of the guards being hit by laser blasts during the fight in the prison block were slightly trimmed so that the burning holes in their bodies are no longer seen.(n) Regardless of how much death & dismemberent there is in "Sith", the new version of "Star Wars" (A New Hope) is undeniably softer than the 1977 original...whether you realize it or not. So, Montana is correct in that regard.
As far as I'm aware, the only difference between the HD broadcasts and the regular DVD versions is the replaced jeep/cliff-shot in "Raiders". Apart from that, Montana might be worrying for nothing.;)

I'm sorry Stoo but I can't agree. The SE is not "undeniably" softer. There... I just refuted it. The shots of severed arms and burning corpses are still there in their glory (for what they are worth)... I don't know if Lucas purposely set out to soften (or retro soften) his movies (if that's what the claim is), but IMHO if that is the case, he's failed miserably as the changes are negligible (certainly not enough to change objective perception/ratings).

Montana Smith said:
I don't trust him to stand by his rogues. He didn't stand by the defining moment of Han's character in the cantina. With KOTCS he made Indy more respectable.

The only reason Revenge of the Sith had more violence was that Lucas wrote that part of the story back in his days of greatness - he knew he had to finally get that soppy Anakin into Vader's armour.

Best Lucas just makes sure he gets the original Indy trilogy out on blu-ray before he has a chance to tamper with the films, then let go of Indy. At the very least let someone else, with a less squeamish conscience, handle Indy's future.

Perhaps Lucas' "defining moments" for his characters are different than yours then? It's certainly not mine, as I'd pick the moment he comes back to help Luke destroy the Death Star. Also, nope... that's not the only reason Revenge of the Sith had more violence. Lucas could have made that movie as soft as he wanted to. He clearly believed that the story required a modicum of graphic violence. If he was "soft" he just would have made it violence lite rather than making it the only 12 rated Star Wars movie.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I'm sorry Stoo but I can't agree. The SE is not "undeniably" softer. There... I just refuted it. The shots of severed arms and burning corpses are still there in their glory (for what they are worth)... I don't know if Lucas purposely set out to soften (or retro soften) his movies (if that's what the claim is), but IMHO if that is the case, he's failed miserably as the changes are negligible (certainly not enough to change objective perception/ratings).

Even if it was just the Greedo incident, that's an example of a huge character shift. When George conceived the character of Han Solo he made him a devious rogue. Killing Greedo was in Han's pragmatic nature. Over time George has changed his opinion. He now seems to dislike the idea of anti-heroes. Can you imagine 1957 Indy pulling a similar trick to the one he pulled on the Cairo Swordsman? (It was a scene dictated by circumstance, but they went for it, and it stayed).

George is now conscious of a responsibility to make his 'heroes' less murderous, and more akin to role models. In the prequels it was not by chance that the enemies were battle droids: the Jedi can keep their conscience clean and still have fun disemembering robots.

Han's story in A New Hope was one of murder (with probably justification) leading to redemption (returning to assist at the Battle of Yavin). His journey is now much less dramatic.

Darth Vile said:
Also, nope... that's not the only reason Revenge of the Sith had more violence. Lucas could have made that movie as soft as he wanted to. He clearly believed that the story required a modicum of graphic violence. If he was "soft" he just would have made it violence lite rather than making it the only 12 rated Star Wars movie.

I orignally said that the prequels were "soft in the head", as my point was specifically about Star Wars (A New Hope).

Stoo

Attila the Proffesor said:
Yeah, that's all valid enough, and you certainly are generous with the approbation when you feel it's merited. Just reminding you you're one of the good guys, but that that's also a group that we're pleased to have seen grow over our years here.
Noted & logged, Attila. I apologize for being so facetious.:eek:
Darth Vile said:
Of course the softer changes to "Star Wars" were done on purpose.:rolleyes: However minute the changes may appear, for those familiar with the original film, yes, it IS softer. You can disagree all you want but it doesn't change the fact that there is, undeniably, LESS callousness & gore.

Anyway, this is a thread about the Indy trilogy on Blu-ray!:whip:

Like I said above, personally, I'm in no rush for a Blu-ray release because I'd want to buy the boxed set and it would most likely come with "Crystal Skull" and I already have 2 Blu-rays of that (regular & the Steelbox). That said, I wouldn't mind a legit copy of the new jeep/cliff shot from "Raiders".:)

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
Even if it was just the Greedo incident, that's an example of a huge character shift. When George conceived the character of Han Solo he made him a devious rogue. Killing Greedo was in Han's pragmatic nature. Over time George has changed his opinion. He now seems to dislike the idea of anti-heroes. Can you imagine 1957 Indy pulling a similar trick to the one he pulled on the Cairo Swordsman? (It was a scene dictated by circumstance, but they went for it, and it stayed).

George is now conscious of a responsibility to make his 'heroes' less murderous, and more akin to role models. In the prequels it was not by chance that the enemies were battle droids: the Jedi can keep their conscience clean and still have fun dismembering robots.

Han's story in A New Hope was one of murder (with probably justification) leading to redemption (returning to assist at the Battle of Yavin). His journey is now much less dramatic.

I originally said that the prequels were "soft in the head", as my point was specifically about Star Wars (A New Hope).

Like I stated elsewhere, I think Han Solo’s persona (in ANH specifically) is more a sum of the parts rather than one particular moment. He’s clearly still a roguish space pirate out for himself (until the final few scenes). I don’t particularly like the change to the Han/Greedo scene, but that’s more to do with the actual stilted execution of the change rather than anything more substantial like what it does/doesn’t do to Han Solo’s character i.e. most people would not automatically associate Han Solo with the word “murderer” (even in 77). We may not like the change, but I think we're over egging the significance of the change to the overall movie.

Again, I’m not sure if Lucas is truly wishing his heroes to be less violent, rather he’s being pragmatic. Were we ever going to see Jedi decapitating/dismembering people en masse in the ‘Clone Wars’? I think Lucas was being the pragmatist by employing battle droids, as he knew he couldn’t show the Jedi in full action without them. That’s less to do with Lucas’ personal sensibilities (whatever they may be) and more to do with the practicality of movie making i.e. showing Jedi's as warriors whilst being constrained within a PG rating. :)

Stoo said:
Of course the softer changes to "Star Wars" were done on purpose.:rolleyes: However minute the changes may appear, for those familiar with the original film, yes, it IS softer. You can disagree all you want but it doesn't change the fact that there is, undeniably, LESS callousness & gore.
Stoo - Who was stating that the changes weren’t intentional? Of course they were intentional. What I don’t agree with is the automatic assumption that any change is solely for the purpose of “softening” up the movie (whatever that actually means). I don’t believe for a second that Lucas got together with McCallum and said “right, I want to do the SE’s as that will give the opportunity to ‘soften’ up the movies in a way that I couldn't do before”. Besides, it seems to me that the more significant changes to ANH (and the others are more subtle) e.g. the ‘Battle of Yavin’ scenes. (which I think they improved significantly).

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
Stoo - Who was stating that the changes weren?t intentional? Of course they were intentional. What I don?t agree with is the automatic assumption that any change is solely for the purpose of ?softening? up the movie (whatever that actually means)
See your quote below:
Darth Vile said:
I don't know if Lucas purposely set out to soften (or retro soften) his movies (if that's what the claim is),...
It's not rocket science. Why else would the prison block fight be micro-edited to AVOID showing burning holes in the bodies of the guards? Please, don't answer this because...the topic of this thread is about not about "Star Wars"!

So, Vile, what are your thoughts about the possibilty of seeing the Indy trilogy on Blu-ray?;)

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
See your quote below:
It's not rocket science. Why else would the prison block fight be micro-edited to AVOID showing burning holes in the bodies of the guards? Please, don't answer this because...the topic of this thread is about not about "Star Wars"!

I'm looking at the original right now... Perhaps because they looked a bit sh*t in the first place i.e. your basic unconvincing squibb effect (they are certainly not that violent). Speaking only for myself, I'd also like to see the scene of Vader strangling Captain Antilles replaced with Vader instead offering him a nice cup of tea, in an attempt to coerce him to give up the ambassadors location (as originally intended). ;)

Stoo said:
So, Vile, what are your thoughts about the possibilty of seeing the Indy trilogy on Blu-ray?;)
I'd welcome it... as long as they make some changes to p*ss off disgruntled fans. :D

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
Perhaps because they looked a bit sh*t in the first place i.e. your basic unconvincing squibb effect (they are certainly not that violent).
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: You're deluding yourself, Vile. The squib effects didn't look sh*t in 1977 nor do they now. You're being crazy. Those shots were intentionally trimmed to tone down the objectional 'violence'. This is a known fact.
Darth Vile said:
I'd welcome it... as long as they make some changes to p*ss off disgruntled fans. :D
Re: Disgruntled fans...That ain't me, babe. I'm just stating facts...not opinions.:rolleyes:

What you write is pretty sad. So, you DON'T want to have HD versions of the ORIGINAL Indy films...just modified ones?

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Those shots were intentionally trimmed to tone down the objectional 'violence'. This is a known fact.
Re: Disgruntled fans...That ain't me, babe. I'm just stating facts...not opinions.:rolleyes:

You are confusing result/consequence with intent. Besides, who said the violence was "objectional"?

Stoo said:
What you write is pretty sad. So, you DON'T want to have HD versions of the ORIGINAL Indy films...just modified ones?
The irony... My life doesn't hinge on wether or not I own the HD versions of the original cuts. I gotta say that I've got higher priorities on my wish list than my blu-ray collection. Is that sad? Perhaps that's why I'm really not that moved by the mechanical reproduction of art. Nor should you be.

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
You are confusing result/consequence with intent. Besides, who said the violence was "objectional"?
Sorry, no, I'm not confusing anything. I'm stating facts. The confusion rests with you...one who is taking Montana's initial statement into your usual realm of Darth Vile opinion. The new version of "Star Wars" has LESS callousness & 'gore' (and I use that term very lightly) than the 1977 original. That is an undeniable fact.
Darth Vile said:
The irony... My life doesn't hinge on wether or not I own the HD versions of the original cuts. I gotta say that I've got higher priorities on my wish list than my blu-ray collection. Is that sad? Perhaps that's why I'm really not that moved by the mechanical reproduction of art. Nor should you be.
Hello? Don't change the subject, Vile.:rolleyes: What is sad is that you would only welcome the Indy Blu-ray editions if they contained changes...merely to "**** off disgruntled fans" and, like I said, that ain't me....:rolleyes: