Indy 4 on DVD

Silentrascal

As far as the DVD, I think you can basically count on (for its initial release) a single-disc AND a double-disc set. Then, probably within 8-10 months you can count on a super duper special edition, and then within 4-5 months after that (if not sooner) an Indiana Jones Super Collector Pack (with all 4 movies and a special 5th disk for extras. You know they'll milk this for all its worth.

peterlally

LostArk said:
Do you think the 4th movie will be packaged with the original trilogy or will we have to wait for that?

Hmmm. Im not sure about DVD format but Blueray box set of 4 will be years off. DVD box of 4 will probably just be cheaply knocked together out of standalones and a cardboard carton. :mad:

Montana_Jones

KotCS DVD wishes.

I hope the DVD will ONLY be released in the OAR of 2.35:1 Possibly the audio in DTS and also DD 5.1? Of course I don't care about the dub tracks. English subtitles should be dead-on. Hopefully a trivia track would also be in order.
Second disc should be a DVD9 just filled to capacity with excellent worthwhile extras.
Cover should be the final release theatrical poster without any of those idiotic review blurbs on it.

So hopefully there won't be a Pan and Scan version released.(y)

And of course the Blu-ray should be a full 1080p HD without and DVNR'ing or EE applied. Second disc relegated to HD extras. With of course some minor BD exclusive extras.

The Man

Montana_Jones said:
I hope the DVD will ONLY be released in the OAR of 2.35:1 Possibly the audio in DTS and also DD 5.1? Of course I don't care about the dub tracks. English subtitles should be dead-on. Hopefully a trivia track would also be in order.
Second disc should be a DVD9 just filled to capacity with excellent worthwhile extras.
Cover should be the final release theatrical poster without any of those idiotic review blurbs on it.

So hopefully there won't be a Pan and Scan version released.(y)

And of course the Blu-ray should be a full 1080p HD without and DVNR'ing or EE applied. Second disc relegated to HD extras. With of course some minor BD exclusive extras.

Aren't Pan and Scans a thing of the past with the arrival of DVD?

Montana_Jones

The Man said:
Aren't Pan and Scans a thing of the past with the arrival of DVD?
Nope. Pan and Scan is still released to the uninformed about the benefits of OAR presentation. DVD has been around since 1997. Perhaps you're meaning Blu-ray?

Agent Z

Montana_Jones said:

I was in Best Buy a couple months back, picking up some HD-DVD titles.

I can't remember what pulled me over to the tv section, but there I was watching a Blu-Ray setup playing a Pirates of the Caribbean film.

Now, I don't know exactly why, but the presentation I was watching looked freaky....hmmm...like they overcooked it and removed so much natural film grain as to make it look like a home video. The detail was amazing and, at times, it was almost like watching a 3-D presentation, but it also felt sterile and cheap.

I have a HD-DVD player and around 30 HD-DVD titles. The majority of the transfers are great, very pristine with bright vibrant colors....and I can see the most minute details. Most importantly to me though, is that they still feel like films when I watch them.

Short point from a long ramble: I hope that the Pirates Blu-Ray I was watching was an anomaly. Maybe the display wasn't calibrated properly? I don't know. I just hope I don't see this trend where movies are "cleaned up" so much that they start looking less like film and more like broadcast television.

|ZiR|

Directors cut with all the deleted scenes restored. That is, the scenes they actually shot but never made it into the final cut.

graz

A 2 hour long Karen Allen feature, detailing all aspects of her life and career with lots of interviews and stuff. Who called me a sad old git??? :whip:

The Man

Agent Z said:

I can't remember what pulled me over to the tv section, but there I was watching a Blu-Ray setup playing a Pirates of the Caribbean film.

Now, I don't know exactly why, but the presentation I was watching looked freaky....hmmm...like they overcooked it and removed so much natural film grain as to make it look like a home video. The detail was amazing and, at times, it was almost like watching a 3-D presentation, but it also felt sterile and cheap.

I have a HD-DVD player and around 30 HD-DVD titles. The majority of the transfers are great, very pristine with bright vibrant colors....and I can see the most minute details. Most importantly to me though, is that they still feel like films when I watch them.

Short point from a long ramble: I hope that the Pirates Blu-Ray I was watching was an anomaly. Maybe the display wasn't calibrated properly? I don't know. I just hope I don't see this trend where movies are "cleaned up" so much that they start looking less like film and more like broadcast television.

I've read in more places than one that the Pirates Blu-Ray takes over three minutes to load. Now, my Sony player takes it's time to get cracking, but three minutes? Is the HD-DVD player as leisurely?

Montana_Jones

Agent Z said:

It was assuredly the display was calibrated improperly with noise reduction filters on. Any true film fan will always have them off. I too hate DVNR'ing and EE'ing. I too own 20+ HDDVD's and won't make the full jump to Blu-ray until next year. I own an XBOX 360 HDDVD add-on also. Works like a beaut. Only one title didn't work on it and it was due to a manufacturing error on the disc.

Agent Z

The Man said:
I've read in more places than one that the Pirates Blu-Ray takes over three minutes to load. Now, my Sony player takes it's time to get cracking, but three minutes? Is the HD-DVD player as leisurely?

I have a Toshiba HD-A3 and from hitting the power button to the dvd/hd-dvd playing, it's about a minute and change. Maybe a minute and a half at the most, and I'm stretching that estimate.

Man, great player. I bought it back when Toshiba was giving them away for free basically. Now, they are back up to $250 at Amazon! :eek:

Montana_Jones said:
It was assuredly the display was calibrated improperly with noise reduction filters on. Any true film fan will always have them off. I too hate DVNR'ing and EE'ing. I too own 20+ HDDVD's and won't make the full jump to Blu-ray until next year. I own an XBOX 360 HDDVD add-on also. Works like a beaut. Only one title didn't work on it and it was due to a manufacturing error on the disc.

I'm not going to Blu-Ray until they make it so I have no choice. Cheaper, more stable players. Better use of the storage space on the discs. Premium extras, instead of the recycled standard edition extras.

In other words, they are going to have to work really hard to get me, cause I've already been double and triple-dipped on titles in standard dvd. I'm not going through that again.

I can wait it out. I have the patience*! :)

* When/If Kingdom comes out on Blu, I will be getting a player. Lucas apparently doesn't want to release his films on hd yet because, well, he's Lucas and he has to make us beg for it I guess.

So, while I'll admit that I'll cave for Kingdom in hd, I also know that it may be a ways off anyway.