Spider-Man 4

Deckard

No Ticket said:
You know how LAME it sounds to completely re-cast the film so soon after the last three? That's like re-booting the franchise. That's like starting over. It's not the same series of movies.

Not at all, most of them have expressed little interest in coming back and Tobey looks like he's 35 years old. Raimi trys to be way too slapstick nowadays. I just found the writing of 3 awful. And the first 2 could have been way better as well. And alot more comic faithful.

Keep Jameson and the crew at the Bugle, keep Gwen and all the other minor characters and recast Tobey and Dunst, it woudn't bother me at all.

No Ticket

Deckard said:
Not at all, most of them have expressed little interest in coming back and Tobey looks like he's 35 years old. Raimi trys to be way too slapstick nowadays. I just found the writing of 3 awful. And the first 2 could have been way better as well. And alot more comic faithful.

Keep Jameson and the crew at the Bugle, keep Gwen and all the other minor characters and recast Tobey and Dunst, it woudn't bother me at all.

I liked the first two just fine and I think that Tobey did a great job in them. The problem in 3 was mainly due to rushing the plot because there were so many characters to focus on giving little time for dev.

That and f'n up how "turning bad" would affect Peter... and also Venom's design and execution was done kind of poorly. Kind of.... I meant to say very.

But I'd still rather have them in the roles then some other group of people.

Deckard

Ya Tobey wasn't the problem in the first 2, what comes to mind most is Peter doing that little walk down the street in 2, the dancing and singing? :confused: in 3... And I just can't get over the lack of Gwen Stacey being dropped from a bridge, her death played a huge role in Spidey's life. But it's what we got so I deal with it best I can, now that we have this new oppurtunity tho, I want to see a little change. Like I said my main problem with those 2 big star actors is becoming there age. Peter should be like 21-23 he looks 30 at best.

agentsands77

No Ticket said:
The first two films were exceptional and they slipped up on ONE... the LAST one and now suddenly people don't want the people who were also responsible for the terrific first two to return.
Well, I didn't like the first two. I find SPIDER-MAN and SPIDER-MAN 2 to be only slightly less poor than the third installment. So, naturally, I would like an entirely different team to tackle the next Spider-man movie, with an entirely different vision.

sandiegojones

They should go in a different route for 4. Venom shouldn't have been in 3. I don't think 3 is a bad movie, but could have been better and was rushed. The current trilogy is kind of like the 60's comics. A lot of teenage angst and goofiness. They should move on to "The Spectacular Spider-Man" and go in a more mature and realistic direction like Batman or Iron Man (and hopefully the new Hulk). Hopefully the effects will be better too. Spider-man 2 was really good, but 1 & 3 were too cartoonish. They also need to get rid of Mary Jane and have someone like Black Cat. Plus, now that Marvel has their own studio they can mix heroes up in films, regardless of the big studios.

Last edited:

Stevens25

I love the entire series. I've been a Spidey fan since I can remember and I've loved Venom since he came on the scene in the late 80's. Part 3 is a bit overstuffed but it was alot of fun and,unlike most action movies,it had heart. My major complaint is the lack of screentime and development for Venom/Eddie Brock.
Rumors of running would that Lizard and Kraven will be in part 4. I'd like to see Tobey,Kirsten and Sam return but at this point I'm not counting on it. By the end of part 3 they really seemed to be tired of doing the films,especially Kirsten,who wasn't exactly great promoting Spidey 3.

sandiegojones

Stevens25 said:
I love the entire series. I've been a Spidey fan since I can remember and I've loved Venom since he came on the scene in the late 80's. Part 3 is a bit overstuffed but it was alot of fun and,unlike most action movies,it had heart. My major complaint is the lack of screentime and development for Venom/Eddie Brock.
Rumors of running would that Lizard and Kraven will be in part 4. I'd like to see Tobey,Kirsten and Sam return but at this point I'm not counting on it. By the end of part 3 they really seemed to be tired of doing the films,especially Kirsten,who wasn't exactly great promoting Spidey 3.
According to the Spidey 3 commentary, the original idea for #3 was to have Ben Kingsley play Vulture. That could have been cool. It's okay to have two villains in one film as long as they don't partner up, that always fails. They should have one villain to start the film and another to end it, but somehow make them tie together without having the villains plotting revenge together for a finale.

Maybe they could have the new one start with Kraven coming to NY to hunt the rumored "Giant Lizard". While hunting through the city streets Kraven runs into Spidey who's trying to stop him because his hunting tactics put civilians in danger, but then Kraven now wants to hunt Spidey instead. Up to this point, Spidey will not have seen the Lizard yet. By the middle of the film Spidey eventually gets Kraven out of the way with the unexpected help of the Lizard. Spidey now has to get the Lizard and finds out it's Dr. Conners. Rather than Mary Jane or yet another girlfiend of Peter's being held as a victim in the end, Dr. Conners could have his wife hostage (similar to the comic). This would create an emotional scene in the finale since Spidey doesn't want to hurt him as he's a mentor of his (similar to the end of SM2).

They also need a better effects company like ILM (Transformers and Iron Man were awesome). Other than the Sandman transformation scene, Spidey 3 had lackluster effects, especially when Harry and Peter are fighting in the alley and when black Spidey and Sandman are fighting in the subway. Some of the crapiness took me out of the scene. I don't know how it got worse when Dr. Octopus was so cool looking in #2. I guess they rushed it all.

I like Raimi and most of what he did, but after 3 movies it's needs a new perspective to give it some "juice". They should get a whole new cast and get more serious with the films. Spider-Man is the star no matter who's in it. As long as Peter is cast right then there'll be no worries. No more Mary Jane and the puppy love crap. Mary Jane was presented as a selfish b!tch in all of the films, especially 3. Peter's saving lives and stuff while going to school and working and is barely able to make rent and she's upset she doesn't get enough attention! By the end I didn't care whether she'd fall from a building or not. I like Gwen better anyways. It would be nice to have a Spidey film not so dependent on girlfriend issues. I watch movies for escapism, not to re-hash my high school relationships.

Call the new ones the "Amazing" or "Spectacular" Spider-Man, in the same way this new Hulk is now the "Incredible" Hulk. Let people know it's new, but not a total do-over.

EDIT: Oh, a new theme would be cool too. I'd like to see John Williams attempt to do a new hero score. If not for Spidey then maybe Captain America (with all of the patriotic music he's written, he's got to be the #1 candidate for that!). Most of the films he's scored lately are dramas or in the case of SW and IJ relied on re-used themes. Something new and adventurous would be cool!

Last edited:

Stevens25

sandiegojones said:
According to the Spidey 3 commentary, the original idea for #3 was to have Ben Kingsley play Vulture. That could have been cool. It's okay to have two villains in one film as long as they don't partner up, that always fails. They should have one villain to start the film and another to end it, but somehow make them tie together without having the villains plotting revenge together for a finale.

Maybe they could have the new one start with Kraven coming to NY to hunt the rumored "Giant Lizard". While hunting through the city streets Kraven runs into Spidey who's trying to stop him because his hunting tactics put civilians in danger, but then Kraven now wants to hunt Spidey instead. Up to this point, Spidey will not have seen the Lizard yet. By the middle of the film Spidey eventually gets Kraven out of the way with the unexpected help of the Lizard. Spidey now has to get the Lizard and finds out it's Dr. Conners. Rather than Mary Jane or yet another girlfiend of Peter's being held as a victim in the end, Dr. Conners could have his wife hostage (similar to the comic). This would create an emotional scene in the finale since Spidey doesn't want to hurt him as he's a mentor of his (similar to the end of SM2).

They also need a better effects company like ILM (Transformers and Iron Man were awesome). Other than the Sandman transformation scene, Spidey 3 had lackluster effects, especially when Harry and Peter are fighting in the alley and when black Spidey and Sandman are fighting in the subway. Some of the crapiness took me out of the scene. I don't know how it got worse when Dr. Octopus was so cool looking in #2. I guess they rushed it all.

I like Raimi and most of what he did, but after 3 movies it's needs a new perspective to give it some "juice". They should get a whole new cast and get more serious with the films. Spider-Man is the star no matter who's in it. As long as Peter is cast right then there'll be no worries. No more Mary Jane and the puppy love crap. Mary Jane was presented as a selfish b!tch in all of the films, especially 3. Peter's saving lives and stuff while going to school and working and is barely able to make rent and she's upset she doesn't get enough attention! By the end I didn't care whether she'd fall from a building or not. I like Gwen better anyways. It would be nice to have a Spidey film not so dependent on girlfriend issues. I watch movies for escapism, not to re-hash my high school relationships.

Call the new ones the "Amazing" or "Spectacular" Spider-Man, in the same way this new Hulk is now the "Incredible" Hulk. Let people know it's new, but not a total do-over.

EDIT: Oh, a new theme would be cool too. I'd like to see John Williams attempt to do a new hero score. If not for Spidey then maybe Captain America (with all of the patriotic music he's written, he's got to be the #1 candidate for that!). Most of the films he's scored lately are dramas or in the case of SW and IJ relied on re-used themes. Something new and adventurous would be cool!

One of the major things that did bother me about part 3 is the villain team up. Venom wants to kill and humiliate Spider-man/Peter Parker by himself and he's never wanted help. Especially in part 3,Venom was kicking Spidey's ass all over the place. Why would he team up with anyone? And why would Sandman,who's a decent guy inside,want to team up with this "monster" he just met and doesn't trust?

DocWhiskey

Stevens25 said:
One of the major things that did bother me about part 3 is the villain team up. Venom wants to kill and humiliate Spider-man/Peter Parker by himself and he's never wanted help. Especially in part 3,Venom was kicking Spidey's ass all over the place. Why would he team up with anyone? And why would Sandman,who's a decent guy inside,want to team up with this "monster" he just met and doesn't trust?

In the novelization AND the video game, Venom comes to Sandman and tells him to help kill Spidey. When Sandman refuses, Venom reveals that he's kidnapped Sandman's daughter and will kill her if Sandman doesn't help. Thus leading to their "partnership". I wish they would've done something like this in the film.

agentsands77

DocWhiskey said:
In the novelization AND the video game, Venom comes to Sandman and tells him to help kill Spidey. When Sandman refuses, Venom reveals that he's kidnapped Sandman's daughter and will kill her if Sandman doesn't help. Thus leading to their "partnership". I wish they would've done something like this in the film.
That would have been more effective. But I don't really think that would have made any serious impact on improving the film... the film was just mucked up, through and through.

This really sums it up:

sandiegojones

DocWhiskey said:
They should have just stuck with Sandman and not gone the black Spider-Man/Venom route. Venom just never worked for me. Especially with Topher Grace, although that (what you stated from the book) would have been a better story line in the film. Venom looks cool as art but is just a character that doesn't translate to film. Green Goblin is kinda like that too although I think they did the best they could with him. Dr. Octopus is the best villain. Electro (or Shocker), Lizard or Mysterio could be done too, but Rhino and Venom/Carnage and Vulture are too far out I think.

Katarn07

They should have just stuck with Harry. I'm sorry, the way they handled the last part of his story arc was just lame. Both Spidey 1 and 2 leave off with hints of what's to come, and in one (crappy) action scene, he bonks his head and has amnesia? No, I'm sorry, that was stupid. I'm no fan of the comic so not sure what becomes of Harry in there, but this was lame. Sandman should have been left out of it, Gwen Stacey should have been left out of it, and Eddie Brock should have just been introduced for a sequel, not introduced, turned to the darkside, and killed off shortly thereafter! LAME!!!

I'm for a reboot in the future (I'm talking 5-10 years) called "The Amazing Spider-Man" and to have it less silly. I liked the goofy humor Raimi used, but if they're rebooting it, let's have a different take on the character.

MaxPhactor23

sandiegojones said:
Electro (or Shocker), Lizard or Mysterio could be done too, but Rhino and Venom/Carnage and Vulture are too far out I think.

What exactly makes a guy with a horn on his head farther out there then a guy with a fishbowl head? Plus just so you know, Electro and Shocker don't have the same abilities. That’s somewhat of a misconception. The Shocker is named after shockwaves and/or sound waves; not electricity. His gauntlets shoot out a concentrated blast of air that causes extreme vibrations. Electro and Shocker are very different.

Last edited:

sandiegojones

MaxPhactor23 said:
What exactly makes a guy with a horn on his head farther out there then a guy with a fishbowl head or giant gecko? Plus just so you know, Electro and Shocker don't have the same abilities. That?s somewhat of a misconception. The Shocker is named after shockwaves and/or sound waves; not electricity. His gauntlets shoot out a concentrated blast of air that causes extreme vibrations. Electro and Shocker are very different.
The names are pretty close from a marketing standpoint. I know the difference between the two, but I wouldn't suggest using both in one or even multiple films. You have to pick one or the other I think. Unless maybe you were to have "An electrifying sequel with a shocking twist!"

Mysterio would work because he's got no real power. He's a guy pretending to have powers so the costume works as a joke I think. It's a costume with no real function, he's almost like a Batman villain. Lizard is plausible on film since we have characters like the Hulk and others who make transformations (kind of like a werewolf). The Rhino is just silly, even in the comic. On film I think he'd be ridiculous, it'd be hard to believe that a costume could do the damage Rhino does. Same goes for the Scorpion, except the tail could be done similar to the Dr. Ock effect so it might work.

I think they've already used the best villains. Spider-Man's villains are good, but not necessarily in a movie. Batman is fortunate to have more realistic villains since they're usually just crazy and do not have super powers. The Kraven and Lizard storyline appears to be the most plausible right now. unless they can find a "real" Kingpin!

sandiegojones

I just re-watched Spider-man 3 and it's not so bad. I only saw twice before. There's too much going on but I think Mary Jane/Dunst is the real problem. A couple of here selfish "attention" scenes could have been used to establish Venom better.

If they stick with the same cast, I think they can easily jettison Dunst in #4 by having her get a big acting break in LA and Peter unable to go because NY needs Spidey. They've already established Gwen and Betty Brant so they should use them. I like Elizabeth Banks and Bryce Howard. With Dunst and Franco out of the picture Tobey can build new chemistry with other actors. Maybe they can have Gwen get killed like in the comic (except in a different way since they did a similar scene in #1) and go for real drama and anguish in Peter. He will have lost Mary Jane in the beginning and Gwen in the end, maybe Dr. Conners dies too if the Lizard is the villain (they could tie them together since Gwen is in Dr. Conners class). Maybe Kraven kills the Lizard and Gwen in the process? It could set up a good 5th film!

Stevens25

The Lizard is my second favorite villain after Venom,of course. He's a sure bet for part 4 but I wanna see him as a vicious cold blooded reptile. Since Raimi failed with making Venom scary(he is obviously a pretty terrifying monster),then creating a scary Lizard could give Spidey 4 a bit more edge to it.

Deckard

I think the reason one villain works for 1 and 2 is the villains were bigger, more well known. Sandman's story was ok. Venom was horribly mis-used and I can't imagine they will tackle him again this soon which makes Lizard the obvious choice imo. The thing is Lizard rarely is as threatening as say Venom, because deep in him is Connors, Peter's friend, mentor, teacher and even he doesn't like that he has become Lizard. Where as Venom even at his "core" as Brock still flat out Hates Spiderman and wants him dead. So I think to really make it more threatening they should bring in a 2nd Villain, Kraven seems to be the best choice to be hunting Connors. But Connors still has that symbiote and I have to think it's too good too waist and we'll get another Venom or Carnage in 5.

I just like the idea of more grounded villains like Black Cat or Mysterio but they seem to be going the entirely opposite way w/ a man who mutates into a lizard or a space creature.

Also can we all agree, no one can or should replace J.K. Simmons as Jameson?

sandiegojones

The concept of the Lizard is similar to the 50's movie "The Fly". Plus in this casr Peter has a relationship with Dr. Conners which is by Dr. Ock worked so well. If for most of the film Peter is unaware that Dr. Conners is the Lizard then they could have the Lizard be pretty brutal, therefore making it a devastating shock when he finds out. They also already have the perfect actor for Kraven....Bruce Campbell!

Deckard

sandiegojones said:
If for most of the film Peter is unaware that Dr. Conners is the Lizard then they could have the Lizard be pretty brutal, therefore making it a devastating shock when he finds out. They also already have the perfect actor for Kraven....Bruce Campbell!

Campbell is PERFECT for Mysterio. He has mysteriously popped up at some of the most important moments in Peter's life. When he first makes his debut and Bruce freakin named him! Then in 2 he screws Peter because he won't let him get in the theatre to see Mary Jane. Then in 3 he witnessed Peter fail at proposing, he should pop up and reveal he's been folowing him all along and have some big speech only to end up doing himself in.

For Kraven I vote for Mickey Rourke!