The Mummy (2017)

-Jones-

Rob Cohen Reveals "The Mummy 4" Ideas

"The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" director Rob Cohen spoke with MTV News about a possible fourth installment in the franchise. The interview contains lots of spoilers, so if you haven't seen "Dragon Emperor," read at your own risk.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Brendan Fraser as an immortal hero up against an immortal villain is just one of many ideas Cohen wants to explore in "The Mummy 4," insisting that a fourth installment is all but guaranteed if audiences respond well to "Mummy 3."

"Rick, because he was treated by the pool of eternal life, Rick is now immortal. I'd love to explore how that plays out for him," Cohen said. "Another spoiler, Jonathan [John Hannah] winds up with the artifact in this film and he doesn't realize, nor do we, what its powers are. In my mind, that artifact still has a lot of prizes in it, the eye of Shangri La, this big diamond."

Cohen also spoke about the geographic location he would like to take the next movie, revealing that Peru or Mexico would be possible settings. "What I'm really happy about is that, by taking 'The Mummy' out of Egypt and putting it in China, by exploring a different approach to the quest for immortality, we now have it clear that the 'Mummy' franchise can travel," he said. "Now we know that if we want to go to Mexico or we want to go to Peru, we can because there's a cultural truth there of the mummies and these beautiful cultures."

"They have a lot of mummies. The Aztec culture had a lot of mummies and some of their mummy designs for the Foundation Army were taken from Mexican mummies that they have found," he added. "So I think that somehow that might make the basis of a good story."

No comments, people. Lucas in comparison to Cohen is a genius!

kongisking

Save The Mummy Franchise!!!!!

http://www.savethemummy.com/index2.html

You Mummy 3 haters might find this to be right up your alley...

Interesting. I might join, except for the fact that I liked Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I'd probably be roasted alive by the users if they found out my true allegiances. :eek:

Though to be honest, the people on this site seem to think that there is this big huge conspiracy taking place, where Weisz was blacklisted and Fraser was unhappy with her absence. To believe, or not to believe? That is the question...

Last edited:

indy34

I saw it last night I wasn't sure what to expect but after I saw it i thought it was pretty good not great but good the main thing is they didn't ruin it(y)

No Ticket

Uh... only the first one was good anyway. I could really care less what they do with this franchise. I mean they made the spin-off Scorpion King...... Uggghhhh...... and a straight to bargain bin POS sequel recently... Petitions, especially online petitions, never really work anyway.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Last year the renewed Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe launched with Dracula Untold, ending in modern day London. Here's a peek at the 2017 Mummy plot that will lead to Van Helsing's Avenger League:
The story follows Navy Seal Tyler Colt and his mission in the Iraqi desert to find a group of terrorists hiding out in a bunker. To him and his teams surprise the terrorists within the bunker turn out be nothing more then some grave robbers who have all magically died. Upon entering the bunker Tyler and his team also succumb to some mystical forces out of their control. They soon realize the bunker they have infiltrated is actually a centuries old tomb. Mayhem erupts as all the Navy seal members start turning on one another and are captivated by the forces within the tomb. Tyler is the only one to make it all the way deep within the tomb alive to find an Black Iron Sarcophagus. It's marked with Egyptian symbols like the Ankh and Eye of Horus. Here Tyler is entranced by the forces to open up and release what is inside. But after placing his hand onto the sarcophagus he is immediately stabbed in the palm with a star shaped symbol. From then on his mind is cursed with visions of Ashurbanipal, King of Assyria.....The Mummy.

Other characters the movie include archeologist Jenny Halsey, shady billionaire Lorenzo Montanari, and Malik leader of the Temple Brothers. Tyler Colt is not The Mummy. He is simply cursed by visions of the Mummy (Ashurbanipul) back when The Mummy was the King of Assyria century's before. That leads Tyler to become recluse and man on the run no longer in the military. Further along in the movie the actual Mummy does indeed awaken and Tyler is the only one who can stop him because again their minds are connected.

TheFedora

Moedred said:
Last year the renewed Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe launched with Dracula Untold, ending in modern day London. Here's a peek at the 2017 Mummy plot that will lead to Van Helsing's Avenger League:
Sounds dubious that such an obscure site gets its hand on a script. Was hoping with the plot that it would have more to do with archaeology...

Dr. Gonzo

TheFedora said:
Sounds dubious that such an obscure site gets its hand on a script. Was hoping with the plot that it would have more to do with archaeology...

If only I had a website and broke NDA's...
Oh the things one would see...

(my point is; this is the information era, nothing is impossible to obtain... only improbable)

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:

(my point is; this is the information era, nothing is impossible to obtain... only improbable)

I have an 8 year old. He loves the song: Walk around the Block by Bill Harley. It's the kind of song that could very well epitome the Raven...especially with Improbable

Its also reminds me of that scene in Heat where Neil is discussing the nature of the alarm schematics of the bank and the gentleman herein is saying that it's all out there, you just gotta know how to grab it:

TheFedora

Dr. Gonzo said:

The thing with breaking NDA's I think is that the script might see changes due to people breaking it. However the website is so obscure that I dont see this news repeated without credit on every other news site on facebook or twitter. I agree, nothing is impossible to obtain if you know the right people are able to bribe cast and crew into leaking stuff.

AndyLGR

Its certainly not what I expected from another Mummy film, but maybe a change in direction may do it good? Although I must admit I liked the Indiana Jones style of the films.

TheFedora

Some more info on the Mummy reboot! So they are going modern day after all.
http://www.slashfilm.com/exclusive-i...ummy-reboot/2/

So Mummy will be your next movie. After directing your first movie, People Like Us, do you feel ready to direct the kind of big movies that you often write?

Alex: I?ve had the good fortune of being able to write and produce a lot of them now. I?ve spent time with directors who?ve been very gracious with me about really allowing me to sit by their side. I?ve watched them do their thing. I?ve learned a ton. I don?t think you can ever really stop learning, especially from people who are that amazing, so I feel ready. I feel really ready to go and Universal?s been incredible about supporting our whole monster endeavor, so I feel like I?m going to have amazing people around me in order to help us launch it.

Did the delay from 2016 to 2017 help, giving you more prep time?

Alex: Yeah, it does actually, it really does. My partner in the universe, Chris Morgan, I couldn?t be partnered with anybody better as far as someone who understands big movies and big franchises. Obviously, with everything he?s done with Fast. I feel like we put together a wonderful team of writers and it?s going really well.

Shared universe is a new form of sequels. Does it have different demands and rules and things to celebrate about continuing a story?

Alex: Yes and no for me in the sense that because I started in television and have been in television for a long time now, you approach television from a much more serialized longview place. So you think about not just what is the one story I?m telling, but how do I take this story and tell it over many seasons? That?s obviously started to be what?s happening with movies but the challenge is, you have to deliver each movie. Each movie has to be satisfying. You can?t be so serialized that if you didn?t see the movie that came before, you?re really lost. The benefit of being able to exist in a shared universe world is that you can take more time to develop your characters. You can put them in situations that don?t necessarily resolve right away. That?s really exciting. It means that you don?t just have to have a beginning, a middle and an end in which everything is resolved. Obviously as a writer, that?s a lot of fun because it gives you a lot of room to grow.

It?s called The Mummy but do you have access to any monster you may need at some point in the story?

Alex: We very well might.

Do you want to have your mummy wrapped in bandages at some point?

Alex: Look, I don?t think you can make a mummy movie without having a character wrapped in bandages. I feel like that?d be doing a big disservice to the mummy. It wouldn?t be a mummy otherwise.

Who is the new character you?ve invented, Navy Seal Tyler Colt?

Alex: I can?t say too much about the character other than to tell you he?s not a SEAL.

A modern day Mummy has never been done before. Does that give you new opportunities?

Alex: Absolutely, 100%. The minute it?s modern day, the rules change. And yet, what?s really exciting for me is how do you take this ancient creature and make an audience believe that they exist in modern day?

Have you solved that?

Alex: I believe so. I hope so.

Is it connected to Dracula Untold, or is this the start of the Universal Monsters cinematic universe?

Alex: The Mummy isn?t connected to Dracula but I think that is an ongoing conversation.

Are you setting it up so any of the characters in your Mummy will be available to future monster movies?

Alex: That?s very possible.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Script review. A female Indiana Jones?
The Mummy is looking for his crown and his sword, ancient artifacts that are somewhere in Rome, which forces Tyler and Jenny to find these items first. As Jenny tell us, if the Mummy gets these items, he will open up the gates of hell.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Scriptshadow calls John Spaihts: "the biggest sci-fi screenwriters in town"...

That's quite a claim.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to sit down with this and his Prometheus draft (before Lindelof ruined it) but this is the prevailing opinion. Dr. Strange and Passengers release next year which Scriptshadow is referring to in the past tense.

AndyLGR

Quite a few production shots of this were recently shared on Facebook. I hadn't realised that it was starring Tom Cruise. What I enjoyed about The Mummy from 1999 was its Indiana Jones feel and setting, it will be interesting to see how this new version set in the modern day pans out. The shots they showed where from London were part of the story takes place in an underground series of tunnels.

curmudgeon

Teaser poster's up. Trailer soon.

CymKKndUoAAr3Zi.jpg:large

I knew they were going modern with this, but the plain, block lettered, metallic-grey logo is a bit too understated for my taste. A little thematic styling wouldn't have killed them, would it?