Blade Runner 2049

Z dweller

Pale Horse

Staff member
Robin Wright has been confirmed by Variety

Robin Wright is in final negotiations to join Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling in Alcon’s “Blade Runner” sequel....

"As you wish". What a perfect replicant response.

Joe Brody

Never watched any ''House of Cards' but I've always been a fan of the former Mrs. Penn, and I take this casting announcement as a good sign. I hope it's more of an empathy centric rather than ice-queen role for her.

As for the picture posted by Mr Z Dweller, I have to respectfully appeal to the moderators here. I understand y'all have a voluntary gig here but I look to all of you to keep us safe from troubling images like that. I will never be able to watch Blade Runner again in the same way.

It's literally pathetic from head to toe.

Z dweller

Joe Brody said:
As for the picture posted by Mr Z Dweller, I have to respectfully appeal to the moderators here. I understand y'all have a voluntary gig here but I look to all of you to keep us safe from troubling images like that. I will never be able to watch Blade Runner again in the same way.

It's literally pathetic from head to toe.
Now, now, Joe. I think you are being a bit hard on Rutger there.

To be fair, his dress sense has always been shaky, even in his prime.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Z dweller

Two more ladies on board.

Blade Runner 2 Casts Ana de Armas in Leading Role
Am I the only one to think that Ana De Armas has the age and looks to play Deckard and Rachael's daughter?
Can replicants have offspring???? Intriguing...

large.jpg

Blade Runner 2 Casts Sylvia Hoeks in a Leading Role

Hauer's performance was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the original movie, so a Dutch leading lady is a good omen. (y)
Sylvia-Hoeks.jpg

I gotta say, if all ladies in the dystopian BR future look like these two and Robin Wright, gimme a time machine !!!

Last edited:

Z dweller

Z dweller said:
Am I the only one to think that Ana De Armas has the age and looks to play Deckard and Rachael's daughter?
Can replicants have offspring???? Intriguing...
OK, I’ve been doing a bit of thinking about this, and it’s time for some serious speculation.

The original BR movie is replete with quasi-philosophical and quasi-theological questions (most of them only hinted at and not explicitly stated), based on the relationship between humans and replicants.

Villeneuve is a self-confessed BR geek, and surely his sequel will seek to tap into that aspect in a meaningful way.
Also, the script for BR2 was co-written by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green, so it’s reasonable to expect some thematic consistency.

Now, considering that
Eldon Tyrell
More human than human is our motto.
and
Roy Batty
We are not computers, Sebastian, we are physical.

I believe that addressing the question of the replicants’ ability to procreate would be the perfect springboard for a BR sequel, not just to achieve thematic continuity, but also because it moves the story forward.

Blade Runner was released in 1982, with its story set in 2019.
We know that BR2 will be released in October 2017 and set “some years after the original movie”.
For it to feel as futuristic as the original, removed enough from the present, and to account for Harrison Ford's age, the main story has to take place no earlier than 2050.

Let’s take a look at the two actresses who were just cast for the sequel.
Ana De Armas is 27 years old and physically reminiscent of Rachael: long dark hair, striking eyes, vulnerable look.
Sylvia Hoeks is 32 years old, Dutch and very Aryan-looking, her face possesses great strength and a certain degree of coldness.

Can you see it yet?

I am going to go out on a massive limb here and suggest that in all likelihood De Armas was cast to play Deckard and Rachael’s daughter, and that quite possibly Hoeks’ character will be revealed to be Roy Batty and Pris’ offspring.

This would fit well with their age difference, as the first character would have been conceived in or after 2019, while Batty and Pris’ daughter could only have been born before the events of the original movie.

What are your thoughts? Any more Blade Runner fans here at the Raven, willing to speculate?

Last edited:

Z dweller

Moedred said:
Moved from January 2018 to October 6th, 2017.
The simple explanation would be that October is traditionally a better month than January for big budget movies, as well as prime Oscar nomination season.

HOWEVER...

The internet is rife with speculation that in Star Wars 8, scheduled to be released on December 17, 2017, it will be confirmed once and for all that Rey is indeed Luke Skywalker's daughter.*

Now, imagine for a moment that BR2 is based on a similar premise, as per my previous post.

The last thing the producers would want is to have another sci-fi movie steal their thunder by "spoiling" the female offspring idea, just weeks before their original release date of Jan 18...

*Personally, I'm 100% sure about this. There are many clues in SW7, including interesting musical references in Rey's theme, you can check them out here.

Z dweller

I am going to have to slightly revise the theory I put forward in one of my previous posts.
Not the main thrust, just the actress involved, in view of this.

I'll be darned if Carla Juri doesn't look like the perfect choice to play Pris and Roy's daughter.

stars_325_Carla-Juri.jpg

In particular, her facial features really remind me of a young Daryl Hannah, maybe just a touch harder (that would be Roy). Wouldn't you agree?

She's 31, so her age would fit the storyline.

The plot thickens.... ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
If the theme of the first movie is "am I a replicant?" I guess that's the reason why every wants to see them procreate.

To which I say...who cares!

I'm so tired of interconnected universes. Lineage is so overplayed.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/15/blade-runner-sequel-concept-art
Events take place several decades after the original. The setting is once again a future Los Angeles, albeit one that spreads over much of the West Coast. “The climate has gone berserk – the ocean, the rain, the snow is all toxic,” Villeneuve says. The vehicle pictured in this exclusive concept art from the sequel, Villeneuve says, is a kind of snow blower that hovers over the streets and destroys snow. He laughs. “It’s a Canadian wet dream!” Ryan Gosling costars with Ford, who is back as runner Rick Deckard – ”he’s full of wisdom and good advice.”
jessica-1_0.jpg

bladerunner2conceptart1_large.jpg

Z dweller

Thank you Mo!

Based on those screenshots, it would appear that Villeneuve is going for a high degree of visual continuity with the original movie.
This kind of surprises me.
Based on earlier interviews, I had formed the opinion that he may try a very different visual approach - maybe placing most of the action off-world, as opposed to LA.
This could of course still be true, and we might just get a glimpse of the City of Angels, no more... we shall see.

But if the whole movie does take place in Deckard's old city haunts, then the next big question is: how about the score?
Will Villeneuve bring back Vangelis?
We know for sure that the Greek composer is still active, so in theory it would be perfectly possible. If John Williams can still deliver the goods at 80plus, so can Vangelis in his mid-seventies.

But would it actually work?

For the record, I absolutely adore Blade Runner's score, and its key role in rounding off the movie's atmosphere and mood has been extensively discussed everywhere.
However, the early 80s were the dawn of synth music in popular culture, and Vangelis' score not only worked perfectly as a complement to BR's visuals: back then it also represented the most up-to-date, almost futuristic music genre out there.
These days synths are everywhere, to the extent that in film scoring sound design seems to be considered more important than melody, harmony and orchestration, particularly in sci-fi movies.

In film scoring circles, latter day Vangelis music gets sometimes mocked because the old master still uses his 80s computers, samples and synth algorithms, instead of upgrading to the latest generation.
I don't doubt for a minute his ability to deliver a great score, musically speaking. But is he still capable of sounding as modern and ground breaking as in the early 80s?

I would love BR2's score to be as much a vital component in BR2 as it was in the original movie, and can't wait to see who Villeneuve ends up choosing.

Duaner

Z dweller said:
I would love BR2's score to be as much a vital component in BR2 as it was in the original movie, and can't wait to see who Villeneuve ends up choosing.

I would put money on Johann Johannsson scoring Blade Runner 2 since he seems to pair with Villenueve on a pretty regular basis.

Z dweller

Duaner said:
I would put money on Johann Johannsson scoring Blade Runner 2 since he seems to pair with Villenueve on a pretty regular basis.
He may well get the call, but personally I hope Villeneuve chooses better.

I thought the soundtrack to The Theory of Everything was unremarkable, frankly, and Johannsson's work in Sicario practically embodies everything I dislike about the current sound design vs. real music trend in film scoring.

IMHO Johansson is simply a not a patch on Vangelis as a musician, period.

Duaner

Z dweller said:
He may well get the call, but personally I hope Villeneuve chooses better.

That's a mind-boggling statement. If your frequent collaborator is coming off two straight years of receiving an Oscar nomination for his film scores, why would you look elsewhere? It does not get much "better" than that.

Z dweller

Duaner said:
That's a mind-boggling statement. If your frequent collaborator is coming off two straight years of receiving an Oscar nomination for his film scores, why would you look elsewhere? It does not get much "better" than that.
Ah yes, the Oscars, I forgot: always an unimpeacheable tribute to true talent. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, Halle Berry would make an amazing replicant, would she not?