Blade Runner 2049

Z dweller

Great stuff, this is promising!

It seems that Villeneuve went for a high degree of visual continuity: the weather may have changed, but the streets, retro-decor and noir lighting look the same as the original movie.

Although I hadn't realized that Deckard's attire was really the Rep-Detect unit official uniform... :p

"Things were simpler then", intriguing...

Last edited:

Forbidden Eye

This project is shaping up like Rogue One: a film that really doesn't need to get made, none-the-less, looks pretty cool and interesting so far.

Finn

Staff member
The curious thing about that trailer is how it still plays with the ambiguous question of whether Deckard is a human or a replicant. He's obviously still alive and aged, which hints at his humanity. (At least, if he is a replicant, he can't be a normal one.) But for a human, he seems awfully concerned about other Blade Runners getting to him.

Even more curious is the question whether they can keep that ambiguity up throughout the entire movie, or whether they'll have to give us a definite answer at some point.

IndyBuff

The trailer actually looks promising. I still stand by my earlier statement that this is an unnecessary film, but if they can do it properly I may check it out.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:

But kinda sad to see Ford not getting top billing.

roundshort said:
I wonder if these reboots and long awaited sequels are just away of trying to make the millennials and younger kids feel like they were part of the golden 80's? I mean when they turn 40 and older they will have a bunch of comic movies. No Raiders, Star Wars, Rambo, Shinning, Blade Runner, etc etc etc

I don't know if its more hilarious or tragic but my son and I like to talk smack to each other about whether the Clone Wars is canon.

Z dweller

Entertainment weekly has a few exclusive pix.

I like this one in particular, showing Joi (De Armas) and LAPD Officer K (Gosling).

000245424.jpg

Remind you of something?

giphy.gif

You heard it here first, folks:
Joi is Rachael and Deckard's daughter...

Olliana

Somehow I can't stand the Gosling. He has such a goofy look all the time, he looks like he's spoofing the original and smelling farts everywhere.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Olliana said:
Somehow I can't stand the Gosling. He has such a goofy look all the time, he looks like he's spoofing the original and smelling farts everywhere.

Sort of a side track, but did you see The Nice Guys or the Big Short?

Olliana

Neither, I've seen Crazy, Stupid, Love. and Murder by Numbers among others, and I just don't really see the appeal.

Forbidden Eye

Dr.Sartorius said:
I really hope Ford isn't relegated to one or two scenes.

Would definitely be a case of misleading advertising if that happened.

I just hope Deckard survives this. It would be way too obvious for them to kill him as everyone seems to be expecting it after The Force Awakens.

Finn

Staff member
So, it's been revealed now that besides Ford, Edward James Olmos will make a reappearance as Gaff. No word about any of the four replicants, though.

Which kinda makes me wonder, if we're seeing a typical study in rumors going hay. It was never about a returning replicant, but simply a returning character, and the whole piece about it being be a replicant was extrapolated by a third party.

Z dweller

Finn said:
So, it's been revealed now that besides Ford, Edward James Olmos will make a reappearance as Gaff.
Interesting.
This is what Olmos had to say about his role in BR2049.

?Well it?s not about Gaff, but it?s about someone who is going to try to find out certain things about us back then. My role is like it was in the original ? that time I only had four scenes; in this I only have one. But again, it?s a poignant little scene.?

My guess is that Officer K will reach out to Gaff in search for clues as to Deckard's whereabouts.
However, would that in itself make Gaff's scene "poignant"?

Could it be that Gaff will also reveal to Officer K what happened to Rachael?
After all, he's the one who said "It's too bad she won't live".
Now, THAT would be poignant...

At any rate, another welcome addition to the cast.

220px-Edward_James_Olmos_2009_Inaugural_Ceremony_(cropped).JPG

Dr.Sartorius

Forbidden Eye said:
Would definitely be a case of misleading advertising if that happened.

I just hope Deckard survives this. It would be way too obvious for them to kill him as everyone seems to be expecting it after The Force Awakens.

There's a Ridley Scott article from around 2014 or 2015 where he says Ford will only be in the last act.

IndyBuff

My wife watched Blade Runner with me for the first time last night and absolutely loved it. Both of us like the fact that the film ends with some uncertainty and I hope this sequel manages to build on the universe in an interesting way. I do wish Ford had a bigger role but so far it looks decent. We shall see!

Z dweller

Wow... just... wow!

The new trailer looks absolutely fantastic.

Villeneuve got the BR world down to a tee, and the updated-***-retro visuals are stunning.

The few story elements which can be gleaned from the trailer are intriguing, while clearly the team are not giving too much away.

The stone-inscribed date of 6-10-21 is a no brainer for any real BR fan, and leads me to believe that Villeneuve based his story on Scott's director's cut, as opposed to the original release with the added "happy ending" scene (which isn't surprising in view of Ridley active involvement in the project).

The meaning?
Rachaels death date

I've been looking forward to this sequel - but after this I really, REALLY can't wait. (y)