Dredd

Montana Smith

Djd1 said:
I thought it was a super film... my favourite of that year and the best use of 3d I've seen in the cinema

Going to have to get the Blu-ray now!

It's not the first time that I've come to a film via toys. This guy got me into the Transformers series:

:D

And it was Hasbro's Indy figures that got me to this very forum!

Djd1

It's worthwhile. I read 2000AD from the beginning and budget limitations aside, I thought that they captured the atmosphere. Urban was excellent.

Montana Smith

Djd1 said:
It's worthwhile. I read 2000AD from the beginning and budget limitations aside, I thought that they captured the atmosphere. Urban was excellent.

Looks like I'll get to see it sooner than expected as a member of another forum just gave me a tip!

Looking forward to it now.

Montana Smith

jsarino said:
Now, if they can only push forward with the Dredd sequel.

If the phenomenal numbers of pre-orders for the 1/6 figure are anything to go by, a sequel looks very likely.

Seasoned UK retailers have reported the following on their respective Facebook pages:

Heavy Armoured Cop smash all previous preorder records

Special cop has beaten Superman sales.

The demand worldwide has been astonishing.

I have the Dredd film now and started watching last night. Didn't get far in, but I liked the introduction. Would love to see this being revisited with an even bigger budget, and with more nuances and imagery from the comics. When I think of Judge Dredd and Mega-City One I think of grim satire and black comedy, and lots of violence.

From what I've seen so far Dredd has the violence. And it also has an adorable Anderson in the form of Olivia Thirlby, who might well be Milla Jovovich's long lost sister.

olivia_thirlby-dredd_3d-5.jpg
milla_jovovich_001_1199322022.jpg

Montana Smith

Djd1 said:
Glad to hear you're enjoying it

It was good. (y)

A little low key and claustrophobic, but beggars can't be choosers. As it ended it began to feel like the pilot for a series, or at least another film.

Maybe a film set a few years later, with a fully fledged Psi-Judge Anderson, and another part of the City where things look more advanced (i.e. further into the future as per the comics). And get to see more of the Cursed Earth up close.

I like the fact that there was some Dredd lore, such as the Lawgiver palm security feature and selective ammunition.

Smitty said:
Are there mutants, fatties and house robots with speech impediments?

Yes!

Well, two out of three:

Though his wheel wasn't visible!

Leagueoffatties.jpg

There needs to be some robots. Walter the Wobot for the win:

2000adwalterbluepwint.jpg

Must watch it again because I missed some of these easter eggs:

http://www.bite.ca/bitedaily/2012/09/top-10-dredd-3d-easter-eggs/

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
You did the maths!
Indeed. With fandom like that, you only need a city with a population of roughly 25 million to fill a cinema. For one showing.

I'm sure the people of Shanghai are going to feel special.

Montana Smith said:
Dredd just currently seems a more likely proposition than the guy leaning on the bar above:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/1000000-strong-for-a-5th-Indiana-Jones-Movie/110515455649549
It's sad to see that these days, even bribery doesn't get you what it used to.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
It's sad to see that these days, even bribery doesn't get you what it used to.

Could get you ten years!

GW Judge Dredd RPG. This was circa 1989, so pre-movie and all comics based. There were no codes listed.

Murder: 18 years to life
Mass Murder: 30 years to life
Murder of a Judge: Life
Copycat Killing: Life
Fighting in Block War: 30 years to life
Treason: Life
Futsie* Murder: Life in a Kook Cube

Arson: 25 years to life
Kidnapping: 30 years to life
Paying a Ransom (incitement to kidnap): 5 years
Body Sharking: 30 years to life
Organ-Legging: 30 years to life

ARV (Armed Robbery with Violence): 18-30 years
Robbery: 8-20 years
Burglary: 10-20 years
Petty Theft: 1-5 years
Sky Heist: 20 years
Road Piracy: 5-20 years
Tapping*: 5-15 years
Receiving Stolen Goods: 1-5 years

Attempted Bribery of Judge: 10 years
Resisting Arrest: 1-5 years
Leaving Scene of Crime: 6 months to 3 years
Jimping*: 10 years
Public Nuisance: 6 months to 3 years
Cheeking a Judge: 6 months
Breach of the Peace: 6 months to 5 years
Obstruction: 6 months to 3 years

Rabble Rousing: 1-5 years
Rioting: 2-10 years
Rumble: 3 months to 2 years
Brawling: 6 months to 5 years
Common: Assault 3 months to 3 years

Illegal Parking: 3-10 months
Overdue on Meter: 1-3 months
Defective Lights: 500c fine
Jaywalking: 100 days ? 2 years
Running on a Walkway: 1-10 months
Fare Dodging: 6 months
Littering: 1-200 days
Pranking: 3 months to 5 years
Illegal Boinging®*: 20 years
Scrawling*: 3 months to 2 years
Illegal Smoking: 6 months
Possession of Stookie* pills: 1 year (without pills)

Breach of Health Regulations: 1000c fine to 2 years
Illegal Sugar Possession: 1 year
Importing Sugar: 10 years
Drug Possession: 6 months to 8 years
Old Comic Selling: 3-10 years
Unlicensed Weapon: 3 years
Prohibited Vid-slugs: 1 year each
Overdue Vid-slugs: 3 months each
Prohibited Books: 1 year
Illegal Trading: 1-3 years
Illegal Alien: Deportation
Illegal Mutant: Removal to Cursed Earth

Note: In certain cases, Revoking of Citizenship and exile in the Cursed Earth may be used as an alternative sentence.

Secondary Offenses:

Attempted. Proceeding with the intention of committing an offense, but being foiled unable to complete the offense. 50% of sentence

Conspiracy. Plotting the execution of an offence with another party or other parties, but not actually committing the offense. 30% of sentence

Accessory. Assisting in an offense, or helping a known criminal without reporting him or her to the relevant authorities. 25-50% of sentence

*Futsie ? Victims of Future Shock Syndrome; the strain of living in Mega-City One often turns them in to psychopathic homicidal maniacs.

*Tapping - Mugging

*Jimping ? Impersonating a Judge

*Boing® - Aerosol-sprayed substance that forms a rubbery bubble around the user; used for games in the Palais-de-Boing.

*Scrawling - Illegal graffiti

*Stookie ? Small, cuddly, and totally inoffensive alien whose only problem is having a gland that produces Adifax (addictive serum which stops the aging process) , which makes them much sought after by Stookie Glanders.

http://www.therpf.com/f71/judge-dredd-mega-city-book-law-87883/index2.html

Copies of these reside proudly among Smitty's Junk, snuggled up alongside the Indy RPGs:

dreddcov.gif

slaughter.jpg

They'd make a fine pair of bad boys, but as yet I've found no image of those two anti-heroes together.

Le Saboteur

Dredd made a meager ~$38-million at the global box office on a budget of $50-million slotting it nicely into "box office failure". In fact, it was such a failure that the production company had to sell off all the props to recoup some of their costs.

And them home video came around. And Netflix. And Dredd finally found the audience it deserved. It did phenomenally well on both platforms, and fans have been clamoring for a sequel ever since then. Now the flick's executive producer is giving you that sequel. Sort of. It just won't be a movie. Instead, the project will appear on-line.

The Wrap said:
[Adi]Shankar told TheWrap that the project will be released online later this month — and the best part — it will be free.

Since Shankar's unofficial “Dredd” project was done off-the-grid, it's technically a part of his popular Bootleg Universe, which includes the short “Punisher: Dirty Laundry” starring Thomas Jane and Ron Perlman, as well as “Venom: Truth in Journalism,” which starred Ryan Kwanten as Spider-Man villain Eddie Brock.

It's going to be a 7 part mini-series featuring the Dark Judges, but no word on whether or not Karl Urban or Olivia Thirlby will reprise their roles as Judges Dredd and Anderson respectively.

Full article here.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mb4f1xpSu-I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
Dredd made a meager ~$38-million at the global box office on a budget of $50-million slotting it nicely into "box office failure". In fact, it was such a failure that the production company had to sell off all the props to recoup some of their costs.

The big toy companies do their best avoiding the failures.

And then the bootleggers come around.

The license holders tried to stop them. Some UK retailers removed them from pre-order, others merely took them off display and sold them 'under the counter'.

The naysayers said it wouldn't happen...

10711091_573147939477571_1449325732529667281_n.jpg

10481961_573149256144106_7163793823738429419_n.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L397TWLwrUU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

No Dredd 2, but there is this new six-part bootleg cartoon series from executive producer on Dredd (2012), Adi Shankar:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hMEeVPAsox8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIEIzxlknp8ozNEJ4bYD4lYt4skpfqFmh

There was also last year's Judge Minty, a multi-award winning fan film created with the permission of 2000AD and Rebellion:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aavS_XUITXU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://judgeminty.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2627140/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
As it ended it began to feel like the pilot for a series, or at least another film.

Well, this eventually might be truer than you know.

Following the wildly dedicated fan-led campaign for a sequel to the 2012 flick, series publisher Rebellion and 2000 A.D. are taking their Bring Back Dredd campaign directly(?!) to Netflix, Amazon, & HBO.

"With the success of series such as Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and The Man in the High Castle, the clamour of the growing fanbase for more from the incredible world of the 2012 Dredd movie cannot be ignored," the campaign text reads. "We call on TV and movie producers to step up to the plate and give us more, either through a pay-to-view TV series or a new movie!

"We've decided to take the fight to the TV producers who have done such good jobs with other comic book properties such as Daredevil and Jessica Jones," said Palmer. "We call on all fans of Dredd to join 136,000 other people in calling for people with the vision and the finance to make it happen to step up and give us what we want. In the next few days we'll be organising activities so that people can lobby companies such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO, and show their support as we all say 'Bring Back Dredd!'"

Full article: 2000 AD publisher launches petition for 'Dredd' TV series

4238434-tumblr_mgdhxyki9u1qa69wso1_r2_500.gif

I'm down. Bring back Karl Urban as Dredd and I'm definitely in. Keep the grounded aspect of the show and I'm doubly so. If Netflix can find $165-million for The Queen, they can find some loose change for another Dredd revival.

tumblr_mk32maIhdX1qaqy1io10_500.gif

AndyLGR

I enjoyed the Dredd movie. A TV series would be something I'd be very interested in too. I hope something can be worked out for this character.

Henry Jones VII

Netflix would a good safe heaven for a character like Dredd, and looking at Daredevil, a tv series would be a terrific way to continue this incarnation with Karl Urban.

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
Well, this eventually might be truer than you know.

Following the wildly dedicated fan-led campaign for a sequel to the 2012 flick, series publisher Rebellion and 2000 A.D. are taking their Bring Back Dredd campaign directly(?!) to Netflix, Amazon, & HBO.

giphy.gif

It's early days, hepcats, but it was announced that a sequel (maybe) was officially in development.

_95998229_mc1_poster.jpg

The effort is being spearheaded by Dredd's publisher, Rebellion, and IM Global who have worked on Hacksaw Ridge and with Scorsese on Silence. It's expected to be big budget and will allegedly film in the UK. I imagine that production will be located on a soundstage or studio then since Mega City One is essentially the entire Eastern Seaboard of the United States.

The original announcement doesn't cover it, but the production team has indeed held talks with Karl Urban to reprise the role. Keep your fingers crossed; he's a busy man these days. Olivia Thirlby should be an easier get.