Pirates of the Caribbean (5): Dead Men Tell No Tales

kongisking

I wouldn't mind. I happen to love this universe and (most of) the characters in it...though OST had horrific pacing problems and some boneheaded characterization (I'm looking at you, missionary and mermaid subplot!). Otherwise, a nice romp, but nowhere near the daffy fun of the first three films. Hope 5 can restore some of the delightful charm they had.

Pale Horse

Staff member
kongisking said:
and some boneheaded characterization (I'm looking at you, ... mermaid subplot!).

we all were:
Pirates_Mermaids_01.jpg

AndyLGR

These films I think are a different take on the Indy style of film making and are perfectly enjoyable. Nothing too taxing on the brain.

Le Saboteur

Udvarnoky said:
They've no reason to stop with the last movie bringing in $1 billion.

That's on ticket sales alone! The numbers on video sales and merchandise are at least that, if not double. And who knows how many people descended onto the various parks to experience the various shows and attractions... like this one!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rRSuDjC8i9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They're even expanding the whole Pirate's League from a day into an entire week of events!

Disney Parks said:
Pirate Week: Why talk like a pirate one day when you could celebrate these scalawags all week long? The adventures of Jack Sparrow come to life like never before during a bicoastal buccaneer bash in which Disneyland and Walt Disney World become pirate-palooza: pirate bands, pirate meet-and-greets and more.

With a new director and a better script that doesn't try and shoehorn everything into one movie, a fifth outing could be highly entertaining. Wonder if we'll see the percolating rumor of a Pirates Mega-Theme given the film treatment instead of in the parks.

hideout_sotto-1.jpg

Long Forgotten: Jean Laffite said:
A canal in New Orleans Square, labeled "1764," is all that remains of a plan to unify several themes in the land.

The plan called for a crypt next to the Mansion that led into an underground catacomb of treasure and dead pirates, culminating in a pirate-themed hideout on Tom Sawyer Island. The pirate theme would have focused on Jean Laffite, a real-life pirate from the early 1800s in New Orleans. Laffite?s name might be familiar to frequent Disneyland visitors from the Pirates of the Caribbean loading zone, where a sign reads "Laffite?s Landing." The date 1764 was derived by subtracting 200 years from the birth date of one Imagineer who worked on the project. [Editor's note: this was Matt McKim, son of legendary Imagineer Sam McKim.] FURTHERMORE: Before its replacement with La Petite Patisserie, there was also a Laffite?s Silver Shop in New Orleans Square. Having a Jean Laffite identified as the "owner" of the Haunted Mansion would have united Pirates of the Caribbean with the Mansion and the island into one underlying theme, an unusual feat for an entire land. Though unrealized, the plan lives on in the form of this barricaded "crypt."

Further reading can be found over here.

Le Saboteur

936full-pirates-of-the-caribbean%3A-the-curse-of-the-black-pearl-screenshot.jpg

AndyLGR said:
Has a release date of July 10th 2015...

And now they're supposed to have a director to helm the picture. Deadline is reporting that the Norwegian duo behind the much lauded Kon Tiki have received their blessings from Depp & Bruckheimer. Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg are now expected to finalize a deal in short order that will see principle photography commence late this year or early 2014.

But that's not the only pirate-y adventure that's preparing to make sail. No, this time around the teevee people are set to capitalize on the resurgence in popularity. Michael Bay's Black Sails will be the first to get out of port.

And for those members in the vicinity of Orlando, Disney World has added yet another C-ticket attraction based on the Pirates of the Caribbean mega-franchise.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-vT6s12SlQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kongisking

Michael Bay, doing a p-p-p-p-pirate movie? Woe is the Earth...

Actually, no. That sounds like a delicious bit of so-bad-its-good in the making. Bring it on. :cool:

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:
Michael Bay, doing a p-p-p-p-pirate movie? Woe is the Earth...

TeeVee series, yo. Follow the provided link, and you'll note that he's merely acting as executive producer on the series. The guy behind Jericho & Human Target is acting as showrunner.

But getting back to the fifth Pirates. /Film is reporting that the next outing of Jack Sparrow & Company has an Indiana Jones connection -- Jeff Nathanson just handed in his rewrite of Elliott & Rossio's script. If Mr. Nathanson sounds familiar to some of you, he's credited with the story for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And we all know how well that went over.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
TeeVee series, yo. Follow the provided link, and you'll note that he's merely acting as executive producer on the series. The guy behind Jericho & Human Target is acting as showrunner.

But getting back to the fifth Pirates. /Film is reporting that the next outing of Jack Sparrow & Company has an Indiana Jones connection -- Jeff Nathanson just handed in his rewrite of Elliott & Rossio's script. If Mr. Nathanson sounds familiar to some of you, he's credited with the story for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And we all know how well that went over.

Why are we all of a sudden blaming Nathanson for that? It was David Koepp who created the final script, warts and all.

Oh, and strange(r) title. Was hoping for something slightly more original. But oh well.

kongisking

Pale Horse said:
Did you read the Nathanson script?

No, I haven't, but I was under the impression that it was Koepp's script that most people revile. I could very likely be wrong on that, admittedly...:confused:

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
Did you read the Nathanson script?
kongisking said:
No, I haven't, but I was under the impression that it was Koepp's script that most people revile. I could very likely be wrong on that, admittedly...:confused:

I was gonna say, if either of you guys read the Nathanson Draft I would be flabbergasted. In fact I'd go so far as to say jealous. I've been looking for that one since... well since before Crystal Skull came out.

...goin' on 7 years later and I'm still empty handed. Only thing I know about The Nathanson daft is that it introduced the idea of an offspring (whether male or female, well thats another story).

Anyway... carry on...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
...goin' on 7 years later and I'm still empty handed. Only thing I know about The Nathanson daft is that it introduced the idea of an offspring (whether male or female, well thats another story).

Anyway... carry on...

Darabont introduced a girl. It's always about a girl. Which would have been nice...seeing that there's a girl in the YIJC...Nathanson changed it. And added the Ants.