Pirates of the Caribbean (5): Dead Men Tell No Tales

AndyLGR

Agreed, I think hes a good choice for the villain. It looks to be his niche after No Country and Skyfall.

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:
In seriousness, this guy's great, I hope he's in it.

It's only good if Bardem is allowed to cut loose or, like Ian McShane and Chow Yun Fat before him, it's a wasted bit of casting. I'm still not sure how you not let the biggest movie star in the world not do anything.

That said, it's Rum Day! Outside of a fruity concoction and balmy temps what better way than to celebrate with news about everybody's favorite rum besotted pirate.

tumblr_msu54ojPMt1rxcrvdo1_400.gif

Sean Bailey, President of Production, introduces Depp and confirms the appearance of Orlando Bloom as Will Turner, Barden as Capitan Salazar, and Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa. Also introduced are Kaya Scodelario and Brenton Thwaites as pair of scallywags out to seek an ancient treasure that can unleash an everlasting curse.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OijlB9zMnz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Captain Jack Sparrow said:
Grape! Grape! It bounced, don?t pick it up. I hate grapes. I despise the rotten little things.

sparrow.jpg

We also have our first official look at the flick's logo courtesy of the stuido's Twitter account!

CMeMgnpUcAEWatO.png:large

Perhaps it's time for a thread title update?

Le Saboteur

The first trailer for the 5th outing of Sparrow & Crew has finally hit the 'net!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1xo3af_6_Jk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bardem's Captain Salazar could be as interesting as Davy Jones originally was.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A brief Wikipedia edit showed
Brenton Thwaites as William Henry "Henry" Turner III
then back to just "Henry." As with Indy 4, is this another worst-kept secret? Also have 20 years passed since Pirates 3, not 10?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
Bardem's Captain Salazar could be as interesting as Davy Jones originally was.

How much have you lost on a doubloon toss? I'm kinda done with the Javier Weirdness.

curmudgeon

Moedred said:
A brief Wikipedia edit showed

then back to just "Henry." As with Indy 4, is this another worst-kept secret? Also have 20 years passed since Pirates 3, not 10?

I don't think the series ever occurred in real-time.

Despite their release span I've always assumed 1-3 took place relatively close together in-universe, with maybe the whole trilogy taking place over a year and a half to two years.

Well, except for the 10 year time-jump in film 3's post credit scene. Which I suppose they could use as an excuse for an almost adult son.

If the rumor's true...

Udvarnoky

There is a 0% chance the kid in the teaser is not the son of Will and Elizabeth. It's really a waste of time to even contemplate an alternative.

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:
How much have you lost on a doubloon toss? I'm kinda done with the Javier Weirdness.

I don't think I've seen Javier in a movie since... Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Yeah, that's right according to his filmography. So I've got about eight years of weirdness to makeup.

New trailer! Hits theatres Memorial Day weekend! Drink!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i3wJjLXjySg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Despite making a hundred trillion billion dollars at the box office I wasn't overly enthusiastic with On Stranger Tides. I liked it well enough but they really should have made it into a pair of movies. As is, the movie was overstuffed.

Dead Men Tell No Tales has potential. I'm still keen on Bardem's Capitan Salazar. I like the ghost pirates. Will Turner returning is cool. I'm liking the look of the flick as well, so consider me enthused.

roundshort

Disney must be worried about this one. They gave an awful lot away in that LONG trailer. I hope that it is more than a hot mess. Now the new Alien movie.... that is looking hot!

Forbidden Eye

roundshort said:
Disney must be worried about this one. They gave an awful lot away in that LONG trailer.

:confused: This is the only trailer they've released! Before that it was only brief teaser and a Super Bowl ad. This has been pretty underpromoted. Maybe you're complaining they're showing too much, but that is pretty standard for all movie publicity nowadays.

Udvarnoky

I'm glad Rush and McNally are back, as they're my biggest selling points, and Bardem seems to be going full ham in this, which is promising.

I do think that Bardem's character comes off a bit too much as a hybrid of previous villains, but otherwise I'm game for this. Of all the cash-grab summer franchises, I've always found Pirates to be the most inventive and captivating.

Forbidden Eye

I really enjoyed this film. But then I generally really enjoy this series. Hope in spite of the negative reviews this is successful enough that we at least get one more(will they ever tackle Atlantis?).

My favorite part was the nod to the Disneyland ride in the flashback. Anyone catch it?

curmudgeon

I really enjoyed it too. A big improvement over the dullness of 4, and probably my third favorite of the series (given my atypical love for the second film.)

I was glad to see another of what I like to call the series' Harryhausen homages. (The fighting skeletons of 1, the giant sea monster of 2, and giant Calypso in 3 have always struck me as particularly Harryhausen-inspired, even if accomplished by modern means.)

That was a pretty satisfying ending too... a good place to leave things if it does end up being the last.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect Disney has grown weary of paying Depp. Details here:
Depp has starred in a string of flashy failures, including Dark Shadows, The Lone Ranger, Mortdecai, and most recently Alice Through the Looking Glass, which underperformed so dramatically that its paltry take caused Disney stock to dip temporarily.
More on Pirates 5 here:
Sources close to the production report tales of excessive drinking, physical fights with Heard and constant lateness on set, which often left hundreds of extras waiting for hours at a time.
His $2 million per month burn rate isn't movie related, but makes for interesting reading. Legal battles also reveal he has a personal sound engineer who feeds lines to an earpiece since Depp hasn't memorized them in years.

Le Saboteur

It's the end of an era (and about time I stop paying attention to Disney).

Mice Chat said:
In what is surely a sign of the times, Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland, Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Paris will all soon remove the “Auction” scene where pirates can buy a bride. The scene is iconic for its sultry redhead, voluptuous “Show us your larboard side” bride, and the spectacularly mobile and well dressed Auctioneer himself.

The scene also contains many elements which the fans no doubt love, but which are at odds with modern sensibilities. This is beyond a “Politically Correct” issue, it’s an issue about what Disney feels it may be inadvertently teaching its youngest guests when they see images of women being sexualized and sold at auction.

Final Auction Coming Soon to Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland & Magic Kingdom

Actually, this might go better in the 'Does Anyone Kinda Hate Disney' thread.