Guardians of the Galaxy

Le Saboteur

Well, I guess now that Epiphany has formally passed I can begin posting again. The question though has been 'How to begin?' By adding to another thread I had participated in? That didn't quite feel right. Neither did snarkily commenting in a couple of other threads. So, a new thread for a new year!

During the hiatus (well, mine) Marvel released the first official image for 2014's summer release -- Guardians of the Galaxy!

52c5c15e4a318.jpg

From Left to Right: Gamora, Peter Quill (He's the Star-Lord. Respect him.), Rocket Raccoon, Drax the Destroyer, & Groot.

Don't know who they are? Not a problem! Chances are the majority of people don't know who they are; it has a certain amount of readership, but it's one of those things that should go over like gangbusters. Sort of like how Iron Man put paid to the Doubting Thomas' regarding Marvel's cinematic ambitions. If successful, it also serves as a bridge to Marvel's other, well, Cosmic offerings; i.e., Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, the Nova Corps, and Galactus.

In conversation with Joe Brody I suggested this was part of the reason The Avengers was made; a bridge was needed to open up the possibilities of other worlds and creatures wa-ay beyond the powers* and capabilities of Stark & Friends. Thor could have served that purpose, but despite the crowd pleasing nature of the two flicks, they've been trifling affairs.

*Groot, that humanoid looking tree, is both stronger and more durable than the Hulk. For argument's sake, pretend you don't know that Savage & World Breaker Hulk exist. What? You mean you didn't?!

Official Synopsis said:
From Marvel, the studio that brought you the global blockbuster franchises of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers, comes a new team--the Guardians of the Galaxy. An action-packed, epic space adventure, Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits--Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon; Groot, a tree-like humanoid; the deadly and enigmatic Gamora; and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Quill discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand--with the galaxy's fate in the balance.

Don't care for Star Wars? Marvel has you covered. Please shovel your disposal income this way...

9337365270_fe5378e62f_o.jpg

That helmet alone is cooler than anything to come out of Star Wars' thirty year history.

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
That helmet alone is cooler than anything to come out of Star Wars' thirty year history.

Um...no.

But an anthropomorphic racoon, eh? Disney must be getting themselves warmed up for Indy 5!

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Um...no.

But an anthropomorphic racoon, eh? Disney must be getting themselves warmed up for Indy 5!

I'd pay to see that movie.

And hey, it could actually happen. Same studio and all that...:D

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
Well, I guess now that Epiphany has formally passed I can begin posting again.

Only a very select few understand and appreciate this sentence, here.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:

Okay, seriously? Where do you get these things? You always seem to have the relevant image or GIF for moments like this. What are the odds of there being this kind of art about the very thing I had just randomly joked about? You got some kind of "joke" version of Mary Poppins' purse, Smiffy? I'm spooked right now. :eek:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Okay, seriously? Where do you get these things? You always seem to have the relevant image or GIF for moments like this. What are the odds of there being this kind of art about the very thing I had just randomly joked about? You got some kind of "joke" version of Mary Poppins' purse, Smiffy? I'm spooked right now. :eek:

:D

Seriously, I just Googled Indiana Jones Racoon.

I just knew it had to be out there somewhere!

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
That's Cosmo's role. Reading material.

Yes, but you forgot to mention that Rocket is the ex-warden of a galactic insane asylum who's extremely liberal with idea of lethal force. People thought that Tony "Be Me a Drink" Stark was high tech...

Le Saboteur said:

Yeah, it is. He needs to don his necessary and proper helmet at some point, though!

starlordINK.jpg

Olliana

Le Saboteur said:
Don't care for Star Wars? Marvel has you covered. Please shovel your disposal income this way...

9337365270_fe5378e62f_o.jpg

Wait... what?

1000px-MagnaGuards_Tatooine.png

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:
Ha! Good eye, Olliana.

For? Glowing red eyes on a robot aren't exactly new. In fact, those Magna Guards share far more similarities to the T-800 than Peter Quill. You could even find parallels to Kill Zone's Helghast if you wanted.

Olliana said:
Wait... what?

I was only half-joking, but let me let you in on a secret: I have zero interest in Star Wars. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Your reliance on something that wasn't created until, like, 2006 is telling, though. And this might be something that's new to you, but Star-Lord has been kicking around the Marvel Universe since 1969.

To be fair, the above mentioned helmet and costume weren't adopted until the early-to-mid 2000's. He's since changed into something offensively generic.

Anyway, a glimpse at the full Comic Con display!

novacorpsstarlordstuff.jpg

James Gunn did recently sit down and chat with Total Film and chatted about his forthcoming movie.

Total Film said:
"I don't think it's the riskiest Marvel property," the director says of Guardians of the Galaxy. "I think Iron Man was by far the riskiest. It was a film company that didn't have much, raising money to make a film based on a property that wasn't that much more well known than Guardians of the Galaxy. So I think it's not even close to the riskiest Marvel property."

The folks at Comic Book Movie have a bit more of the interview, but you'll need to pick up the dead tree edition for the full thing.

Some promotional art for the eventual movie tie-ins have surfaced on-line. A couple of characters need some work, but Star-Lord definitely looks like he's shaping up to be a cross between The Rocketeer and Han Solo.

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
James Gunn did recently sit down and chat with Total Film and chatted about his forthcoming movie.

Ouch. How'd you miss that during the editing session? Tense shifts, redundancies, and, just, like, wow. Are you sure you received an accreditation from an institute of higher learning?

Just when I was getting used to teaser trailers for the actual teaser, there's been a whole new level of obsessiveness I was unaware of! In the same way that the trades are the most reliable source of real information, it appears that the various rating boards not only publish their information, but are often useful.

Following an official classification by the Alberta Ratings Board (run time: 2:23), Yahoo! Singapore has announced that the first official trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy will debut on the 18th of February! Singapore? Yeah, it's not surprising. Marvel wants the international audience and this gives it exposure during the Winter Olympics. Fans'll seek it out, of course, but Marvel will probably attach this to The Winter Soldier for North American exposure

Stay tuned!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KCy7lLQwToI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In more tangible news, a pair of animated .gifs have found their way to the 'net featuring Groot and Rocket Raccoon! They appear to be concept or unfinished animations, but both of 'em are wicked awesome!

2dl5.gif

7vv.gif

I need my action figure!

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Precisely why I have a hard time with Comic Films.

nivpkG2.gif

A raccoon using a machine gun and a talking tree.

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:
Precisely why I have a problem with Comic Films: A raccoon using a machine gun and a talking tree.

Please see my original post featuring Red Skull.

There are days of the week when I think that the sobriquet 'comic book film' is at best a left-handed compliment. It allows a certain segment of the audience to compartmentalize and ultimately keep anything that originates in a "comic book" squarely at the kiddie table. Yeah, it was good... for a comic book movie. It's that kind of thinking that kept RDJ & Iron Man from any of the awards shows despite it being one of the Top 5 movies of '08.

For fun, I am now going to preface every mention of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and/or Indy V as a 'Septuagenarian Strokefest'. Those fans who post pictures of Ford like this is TMZ will hereby be known as Strokers.

For the record, the last movie I recall that had talking trees wheeled home a wagon full of Academy Awards. 11 of 'em to be exact.

But that's not the point. The point is actually a question: What is an alien supposed to look like? In the wide, wide world of sports are we supposed to believe that the entire galaxy is comprised of bipedal humanoids who are virtually indistinguishable from humans aside from the amount and type of ridges/bumps/dots/whatever. You must be an alien because you have freckles on your forehead! No human could have freckles on their forehead.

That's the Star Trek model. Star Wars is vastly more inclusive, but I suppose an obese hookah smoking slug, bloodthirsty teddy bears, a Hadrosaur crossed with a cocker spaniel, a pointy-eared frog, those bi-pedal pork chops and whatever the hell this thing was supposed to be is all totally acceptable?

None of this will help you navigate the massive roadblock you've erected against actually enjoying a 'comic book movie,' but it's something you might want to mull over. Hey, look! That murderous teddy bear became a Jedi Knight! Everybody Yub Nub!

Acceptable.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Oh sweet baby Jeebus, no. A bridge too far!

rocket-small001.jpg

Now, you'll have to excuse me. I feel this irrepressible urge to Yub Nub!

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Precisely why I have a problem with Comic Films: A raccoon using a machine gun and a talking tree.

Talking raccoons, Yub Nubs and CGI prairie dogs.

I'm hoping SW VII will feature Jaxxon.

138880543552.jpg

Another instant figure purchase.

Le Saboteur

I can't stop this feeling deep inside of me!

A trio of new stills have been released in the run up to the first official trailer and look for Guardians of the Galaxy! The trailer, for those of you who wish to know, will debut on the 18th of February (that's today for most of you) on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Check your local listings for actual air times and channel!

* - Not even the greatest thing to hit popculture since Chewbacca could get me to tune into Jimmy Kimmel, so those of us in a similar boat will have to hope that it makes its way online at some point in the day!

higard3.jpg

Full team shot!

higard1.jpg

Peter Quill's ship, the Milano, flies high above the homeworld of the Nova Corps! Think Green Lantern Corps and you'll have an idea of what the Nova Corps is and does.

higard2.jpg

A closeup of Chris Pratt as Peter Quill!

While I dislike driving traffic, do check out Screen Crush's article. They have the full high-resolution images!

Last edited: