Guardians of the Galaxy

kongisking

Attila the Professor said:
Spoiler tags?

Man, I didn't know we had those.

Let me ask something, though. Why are trailers ok but spoilers aren't? It's not as though the director or the screenwriter is responsible for what goes into the trailer. How come this ridiculous teaser trailer-to-trailer routine doesn't bug you, or the whole geek film-industrial complex that's arisen to track every single move those producing these films make?

I actually don't like how modern trailers show so much stuff. So...I'm not being favoritist here.

I'm just saying, that end-credits scene is the kind of thing I'd have loved to experienced for myself in the theater, not knowing anything. I'm actually a big spoiler-hound in some ways, but with the Marvel stingers...those are special cases for me. And any spoilers I find, I don't shotgun them on the web for all to see. I always try to be discreet with them, in case some don't want to know...

Just because certain Raveners think courtesy is pointless on a website forum for Indiana Jones fans (aka "one of the most pathetic and dying fandoms in existence", in their eyes) doesn't make blatant lack of courtesy okay...

Last edited:
kongisking said:
I actually don't like how modern trailers show so much stuff. So...I'm not being favoritist here.

I'm just saying, that end-credits scene is the kind of thing I'd have loved to experienced for myself in the theater, not knowing anything. I'm actually a big spoiler-hound in some ways, but with the Marvel stingers...those are special cases for me. And any spoilers I find, I don't shotgun them on the web for all to see. I always try to be discreet with them, in case some don't want to know...

Just because certain Raveners think courtesy is pointless on a website forum for Indiana Jones fans (aka "one of the most pathetic and dying fandoms in existence", in their eyes") doesn't make blatant lack of courtesy okay...

Dude, it's just a cigar...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
kongisking said:

Just because certain Raveners think courtesy is pointless on a website forum for Indiana Jones fans (aka "one of the most pathetic and dying fandoms in existence", in their eyes) doesn't make blatant lack of courtesy okay...

I'm pro-spoiler tags, I assure you. I just don't see much, if any, difference between what trailers <I>and, more importantly</I>, the whole horse race reporting of every little drib and drab of <I>news</I> that comes off of what the sets of these movies.

But yeah. If there's any surprise to be had in these products - which I doubt most of the time - it's good for people to be able to find it out on their own.

Joe Brody said:
Trailer's are where it's at now a-days. I just hate it when they break trust with the audience and show too much. I just thought it was cool in Winter Soldier how they used it to dramatic effect.

I tried in typical meandering style to get a thread started on the current state of the trailer -- but failed (my fault).

I like the looks of this. I think you and I see eye-to-eye in thinking of the trailer as its own separate form, one that often has little to do with the films it promotes.

curmudgeon

General rules of thumb from a site I used to work at:

Pre-release materials that are put out by the studio (or publisher) aren't considered spoilers, because the studio intended for them to be seen and talked about. In that way, the studio has a certain amount of influence over what you're seeing and discussing. (And therefore anything like rumors or leaks that came out beyond the studios' control were considered spoilers.)

Post-release discussion was usually then open, unless the film/book was apart of an ongoing series that had a lot of news activity, in which case you either had to hide your spoilers for the first month after release, or separate into a different thread just for spoilers.

kongisking

Kind of on a post-viewing high, people, so I'll just be quick, and say I saw this movie about an hour ago, and I loved the utter crap out of it. Wonderful movie. Definitely hope to go back for seconds, or thirds, or tenths...

302350_v1.jpg

jsarino

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HThP0bbWYUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

Cool video, jsarino. (y)

Something cool from the world of toys today as well. And unexpected bonus was revealed for Hot Toys' Rocket and Groot two-pack:

Unknown-799x600.jpeg

An ickle baby Gwoot!

jsarino

featofstrength said:

Maybe I need to watch it again (not maybe, but I should watch it again!), but I thought the orb was covered in a shield, not exposed like that picture?

Last edited:

Montana Smith

jsarino said:
My son was cracking up with that scene. :) I can just see him wanting a potted Groot. :p

:D

Groot isn't looking too well in the following photo:

guardians-of-the-galaxy-life-size-rocket-1.jpg

Special effects makeup designer David White also made two life-size versions of Rocket Raccoon along with a bust of Groot as aids for visual effects and lighting.

"The reason the filmmakers wanted these is because they take them onto the set and they put them in little chairs and they put them next to the doors and it gives them a good indication of where visual effects needs to pick up and whether Rocket can actually reach certain things or use certain devices," White says. "Also they offer them up to the camera at the end of the shot and it just gives them an extra little hint of the lighting because they?re actually painted exactly as they want.?

http://www.businessinsider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-groot-rocket-raccoon-visual-effects-2014-7

Goonie

The dancing Groot at the end reminded me of the old sound-activated dancing plant my parents got me years ago. (y)

curmudgeon

jsarino said:
Maybe I need to watch it again (not maybe, but I should watch it again!), but I thought the orb was covered in a shield, not exposed like that picture?

For some reason, that stuck out at me when I went. It was shielded in the movie, but not in the trailers/stills.

And yeah, I've seen a lot of people asking Marvel for a Dancing Groot in the style of those dancing flowers in the last week. It'd be awesome if they actually made them.

HenryJunior

It's just unfinished visual FX, it happens. But yes The Orb is shrouded in a protective shield. Starlord uses his little gravity pad to nab it, I bet Indy wishes he had one of those!

This movie was absolutely fantastic, where Thor The Dark World dismally failed with it's clumsy humor, Guardians knocked it out of the park while still balancing genuinely sincere scenes. The cast was great, I think the biggest surprise for me was Dave Bautista, I thought he would be relegated to just being the "muscle" but his performance was very good.

I think this is the closest Marvel has gotten to recreating the lightning in a bottle that was the first Iron Man. Excellent.