Guardians of the Galaxy

S. Dakota Jones

Went and saw this last night with the family. It was pretty damn good. As a child of the 80's I enjoyed all of them. I like how all of the guardians at one time or another stole a scene. I hope we get another movie of just them(or maybe backstory films) before whatever huge event brings them and the Avengers together. Man, that one's going to be tough to give everyone enough screentime just so no one gets overshadowed.

Will buy this on blu ray(y)

I liked Guardians for the most part...not nearly as good as people are raving, but very enjoyable. Drax was definitely a favorite...sincere and funny. All the characters were well done, and the comedy wasnt forced as I had feared it would be like most Marvel efforts.

I do tend to get bored with come of the overlong special effect sequences, and was a bit disappointed in Ronan the Accuser's demise (dancing joke bit went on too long...c'mon, he's alien to it, but not stupid. Also, thought it would have worked better if some of the other Guardians had danced as well instead of making another joke with their refusal/embarrassment.)

And my single biggest complaint goes towards Disney/Marvel/this overly PC planet we live on...I had hoped the "A-holes" line was just an alternate take for trailers and general audience safety, but that wasn't the case. Violence, Murder, Implied prison rape, black-light semen stains, and cartoon Raccoon nutsack is ok for for the kids, but saying a naughty slang word for human anatomy? YOU MIGHT AS WELL NOT EVEN GO FOR THE ATTITUDE, IT JUST @##@@ SUCKS!!!

...but other than that, I had a good time. :)

curmudgeon

featofstrength said:
And my single biggest complaint goes towards Disney/Marvel/this overly PC planet we live on...I had hoped the "A-holes" line was just an alternate take for trailers and general audience safety, but that wasn't the case. Violence, Murder, Implied prison rape, black-light semen stains, and cartoon Raccoon nutsack is ok for for the kids, but saying a naughty slang word for human anatomy? YOU MIGHT AS WELL NOT EVEN GO FOR THE ATTITUDE, IT JUST @##@@ SUCKS!!!

You know how the MPAA are... the film's two "dick" lines probably put it over the PG-13 language quota. :rolleyes:

Montana Smith

featofstrength said:

...but other than that, I had a good time.

"Ass"? But that's just silly. How else could one define a hoofed mammal of the horse family, which is typically smaller than a horse and has longer ears and a braying call, and isn't a donkey or a mule?

However, I think "A-holes" sounds funnier in the context.

curmudgeon said:
You know how the MPAA are... the film's two "dick" lines probably put it over the PG-13 language quota. :rolleyes:

The Raven is a wonderfully liberated forum. You can write dick as many times as you want. But go onto somewhere like Sideshow Freaks and Burt Ward's most famous alter ego will always be **** Grayson.

The only gripe here is that you can never write *****. You'll never see the Bond film Octo***** or refer to a ***** cat.

But enough of these tribulations, and watch Baby Groot dancing in 1080p HD:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WoMkwRd5JMA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's another unexpected extra, extra bonus in the world of toys, an even younger ickle baby Gwoot (aka a potted twig):

attachment.php

But all over the world this is what adults are demanding be made in 1:1 scale:

groot1-600x462.jpg

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
Let me ask something, though. Why are trailers ok but spoilers aren't? It's not as though the director or the screenwriter is responsible for what goes into the trailer. How come this ridiculous teaser trailer-to-trailer routine doesn't bug you, or the whole geek film-industrial complex that's arisen to track every single move those producing these films make?

Well, trailers used to be designed/edited/whatever to build excitement for whatever film. That's what you want. Yet, somewhere around the time Castaway came out, they started giving away too much. Some even give away pivotal plot points and/or major set pieces, which is why you often see me drop out of threads somewhere between the teaser and the first full-trailer.

The teaser for Strange Days is just about as perfect as a trailer can get.

That said, I'm not keen on what you've dubbed the "geek film-industrial complex." There's comes a point when there's no... well, point in seeing the flick. I suspect that it's tolerated, or even condoned, is the idea of the "long tail." That's the idea the businesses will be selling less of more. Or in simple language, it's franchise building. Forget making a huge splash at the box office and moving onto the next thing. No, in today's business environment the real money is going to made further and further away from the "head" thus the near constant trickle of information.

Toy enthusiasts are about to get their wish...

dancing-groot.jpg

Details and ordering information to be released tomorrow.

You can keep your Star Wars.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NwKHrBQjzbE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
Toy enthusiasts are about to get their wish...

That Groot is outside my chosen scale, but since announcing I was only in this for the Racoon, and then succumbing to the tree, I have since committed myself to Star-Lord and Gamora. :eek:

Montana Smith

Moedred said:
You know you can get 1:1 raccoons for free right? As seen on Parks and Recreation.

I had to look this one up...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EwQdlvqo19Y?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ENq4TMEkfAs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
That Groot is outside my chosen scale, but since announcing I was only in this for the Racoon, and then succumbing to the tree, I have since committed myself to Star-Lord and Gamora. :eek:

Am I the only one who walked out of this movie with a huge geekcrush on Drax the Destroyer?

*checks Internet*

Oh, no I wasn't. Whew.

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
Le Sab, will you be ordering a Number 64?

Maybe. I don't have anywhere to put them as it is. If they had some actual heft, they'd end up as bookends. My shelves could use some more color.

My reaction: Wait? What? Donald --ohmigawd it's Howard the Duck!

I'm sure you'll remain as reticent as ever, but you'd be doing yourself a favor by seeing this in actual theatre. You can save face by making it a matinee at a second-run theatre. You know too much as it is already.

kongisking said:
Am I the only one who walked out of this movie with a huge geekcrush on Drax the Destroyer?

Breaking-bad-Bros-Chest-bump-Fist-bump-High-five-GIF.gif

Montana Smith said:
I've been hearing good things about Drax.

Despite my enthusiasm for the flick, I had two pressing concerns going into the movie: 1.) I would be annoyed with Bradley Cooper's voice work. & 2.) Dave Bautista's turn as Drax would suck. I was less concerned about Bautista's wrestling origins than I was with his absolutely tepid/boring performance in The Man with the Iron Fists. I expected that to be carried over into this movie. Fortunately, that wasn't the case. His reaction going into the final battle was one of the movie's best bits.

Bradley Cooper did a fine job as well, but I prefer the Cockney(?) accent from The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Cooper's work is leagues above the portrayal in Ultimate Spider-Man.

As we head into the final summer weekend, it's almost assured that Guardians will beat Captain America's domestic haul of ~$259-million bucks making it the highest grossing film of the year! It just passed Transformers 4 for highest grossing flick of the summer! Pretty impressive for a film that opened three weeks ago. Globally it just passed $500-million.

August was a safe bet for an untried property, but I bet it could have done a bit better had it been released earlier in the summer. Expect the sequel to command one of those "important" holiday weekends. Back to school preparations have almost assuredly cut into the repeat business, which drives box office totals.

Is a billion bucks total box office still possible? Yes, but I'm now expecting it peter out at around $8-900-million. It still has to open in China, Japan, Italy, & Germany. All four are key markets. Japan goes apespit for sci-fi, so we'll see how it fares there. China's mass of moviegoers should give it a comfortable haul there as well.

Fingers crossed.

I'm going to see it a second time (something I almost never do) before committing to something resembling a review.

More toys!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vKB1R62I6Pg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
I'm sure you'll remain as reticent as ever, but you'd be doing yourself a favor by seeing this in actual theatre. You can save face by making it a matinee at a second-run theatre. You know too much as it is already.

I will...remain reticent.

The idea of travelling to a place and paying to see a film once at an allotted time just doesn't appeal. I'd probably get half way there and decide I couldn't be bothered to go through with it.

I'd rather buy the Blu-ray, gain a sense of ownership and have re-playability.

Sometimes even when I pick up a film I've been wanting to see, I don't play it for months, but catch up on older finds first.

I've been saving Game of Thrones for about six months.

For me this film is just an accessory to the toys. ;)

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
I've been hearing good things about Drax. Sounds like he was a surprise success.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...avoiding-the-boos-he-got-as-wwe-star-batista/

(If Hot Toys can sort out the mess they made of their prototype he can join the team as well).

A lot of his appeal for me comes from his personality almost approaching Asperger's-level trouble with metaphors and sarcasm. And seeing as I and many of my friends have that disorder, I find the idea of an Aspergian revenge-obsessed space-barbarian hilarious to no end.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
A lot of his appeal for me comes from his personality almost approaching Asperger's-level trouble with metaphors and sarcasm. And seeing as I and many of my friends have that disorder, I find the idea of an Aspergian revenge-obsessed space-barbarian hilarious to no end.

That's a brilliant analogy! :D

Just read the Wiki page on Aspergers and think I might have self-diagnosed my aversion to cinemas:

"A lack of demonstrated empathy has a significant impact on aspects of communal living for persons with Asperger syndrome. Individuals with AS experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or to seek shared enjoyments or achievements with others..."

"People with Asperger syndrome display behavior, interests, and activities that are restricted and repetitive and are sometimes abnormally intense or focused. They may stick to inflexible routines..."

HenryJunior

I used Sculpey so that I could bake it in my home oven. It's a polymer clay, so it cures into a rubbery plastic you can paint. The whole sculpt is on top of an armature made out of a wire hanger, foil, and more wire. Each finger and "Hair" has a support wire inside.

Here's a few more pics:

DSC00005_zps14857fc9.jpg

DSC00006_zpsd9289b13.jpg

kongisking

My only complaint: the paint should have been a greener shade. But otherwise, that looks utterly amazing, HenryJunior! :D