Marvel Cinematic Universe News & Speculation

Pale Horse

Staff member
curmudgeon said:
Sony are already denying the Spider-Man part of that as "an old rumor" with "no validity whatsoever".

Deal is done. Disney would rather pursue Spidey than Indy.I'm too lazy on mobile to link Iger's comments.

Goonie

SpiderManMCU_zpsenqzxngj.jpg

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
Luke Cage will hit the small screen well before either strides into theatres.

Power Man was an interesting addition to the first season of Jessica Jones, but his inclusion felt disjointed and his powers were... poorly realized on screen. Sure, there's really only so much you can do with super strength and invulnerable skin, but the writers & producers could have used them in more interesting ways, ways that were integral to Ms. Jones' investigation.

That said, I am looking forward to his solo outing this September! The action has moved up to Harlem from Hell's Kitchen this time and things are looking interesting. The showrunners seem to have a better grasp of Cage's power set this time around.

The buzz around town is that every episode borrows its title from a Gangstarr album and/or song.

Dig the sizzle!

Of the five shows originally announced (four technically, since The Defenders is a team-up) Iron Fist seemed at odds with Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. Danny Rand gets his powers from a dragon(!) that lives in a country only accessible from Earth via <s>magic</s> quantum physics. Doesn't exactly fit in with the street level heroics of the other three (and Frank).

It'll be quite interesting to see how he fits into the MCU. Visually it's already there, but tone and action will be quite the deciding factor. For now though, dig the first look!

Before you come in bellowing about superhero fatigue, please note that it's a myth. You might be "tired" of superhero flicks, but the general audience can't get enough of 'em.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
So the Marvel television universe actually has made a pretty interesting home for itself on Netflix, using 13-episode seasons to dig into a superhero's world, pushing out against its implications of the character's concept in greater depth than a film can. <I>Luke Cage</I> deftly and powerfully uses its lead hero and the iconic neighborhood of Harlem to dig into black culture and contemporary issues; what I've seen of <I>Daredevil</I> is stylish, guilt-suffused, but draggier; <I>Jessica Jones</I> is reportedly very good and <I>Iron Fist</I>, well, we'll see.

They're all too long, sometimes struggling to fill 60 minutes, which relegates them to background viewing for me, but I'm intrigued by what they're doing just the same. (The four heroes will be brought together in joint miniseries, <I>The Defenders</I>, not unlike their counterparts on the big screen.)

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
<I>Luke Cage</I> deftly and powerfully uses its lead hero and the iconic neighborhood of Harlem to dig into black culture and contemporary issues...

I'm six episodes in and so far the connective tissue between Luke Cage's various parts is... baggy at best. For lack of a better phrase, its indulgences in black fantasy go on too long.

what I've seen of <I>Daredevil</I> is stylish, guilt-suffused, but draggier;

We would like to see your expanded comments over here because nothing on teevee or in the cinema has been able to match Dareveil's creative output. Or its ability to tonally ground the proceedings.

<I>Jessica Jones</I> is reportedly very good and <I>Iron Fist</I>, well, we'll see.

It's going to be a while before I get to the Living Weapon that is Iron Fist, but I did like Jessica Jones. At least the character of Ms. Jones.

This is the best thing to come out of Luke Cage so far.

I haven't watched it yet, but the trailer for The Defenders has also gone live. It hits the streaming service 08182017.