Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

curmudgeon

This was from last month's Vanity Fair coverage.

Vanity Fair: You have the young Han Solo story film coming out next year, and Episode IX in 2019. Is there another story film in production or pre-production, beyond the Han Solo one?

Kennedy: Yes. We haven't identified it yet, but yes. We have a couple of things right now that we're circling, and we'll make a decision between the two pretty shortly. It's probably for 2020, and we will make a decision by June.

I'd say this is yet another announcement we'll probably end up getting at Disney's D23 Expo, in 3 weeks. (Unless a director hiring leaks. Then they might announce it sooner.)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505
Stephen Daldry is Star Wars? newest hope. The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to helm a Star Wars stand-alone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal is made, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass.

AndyLGR

Ewan Mcgregor is still perfect for this role. However I wonder what they can do with him unless they take him off Tatooine for some kind of adventure. The Obi Wan EU novel wasn't that great IMO.

Grizzlor

McGregor is a bore, and like Boba Fett, there's just not a calling for this film. I'd rather see Hayden again for Ewan.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
When Solo underperformed, production designer Neil Lamont says:
"We were just starting our work on another Star Wars spin-off and yeah. We were actually just making our mark on Tatooine."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
May 25. Ewan McGregor is 50 but time is relative in space. Poster:

obi-wan-kenobi-teaser-poster.jpg

Nerdpants

These are the characters / species I could envision could show up in Obi-Wan (and briefly why).

As series set on Tatooine
- Watto
- Jawas
- Sandpeople
- Jabba the Hutt

Alderaan (as infant Leia could be a part of series)
- C3PO
- R2D2
- Bail Organo

Star Destroyer (as Empire is part of the series)
- Moff Tarkin
- Krennic

Dagobah (as series is about Jedi)
- Yoda

Nerdpants

John Williams has written the theme tune.

That's awesome and good fine.

A bit surprised he did this as he said he was done with Star Wars. I guess he has never really done a theme for Obi Wan and this would be a lot less effort then doing a whole score for a film.

Nerdpants

I predict that the Obi Wan teaser trailer will be released the end of this month or the start of April. Probably start of April if I have to guess.

Basing this on release timetable on Boba Fett teaser.

That teaser came out 2 Novermber 2 with the show dropping 29 December.

PilotJohnGrant

It looks fine, I don't want to be a downer but I am admittedly a little underwhelmed.

Also they should really reconsider how they bring in these animated characters from other shows because when they show up in live action they always look a little off.
I know the change in medium will means that some stuff is difficult to translate but it does make me wonder if somethings are best left in the medium they were created for.

Finn

Staff member
It's curious to see a major location first created for a video game transition to live action. Usually, that street goes the opposite way.

Nerdpants

They should really reconsider how they bring in these animated characters from other shows because when they show up in live action they always look a little off.
I know the change in medium will means that some stuff is difficult to translate but it does make me wonder if somethings are best left in the medium they were created for.
I agree that sometimes it's best to leave the character in an animated show and not live action.

I did not have a problem with Ahsoka or Cad Bane but potentially do have a problem with the Grand Inquisitor.

In Rebels he was voiced by the great Jason Issacs. The look and sound was cool.

In the trailer, he is portrayed by someone else and he looks fat in the face compared to the animator version.. did not work at all for me.

Hopefully it will grow on me once I see the series.

Nerdpants

Star Wars: 1977-1983
I would have agreed with you during the prequel era.

Force Awakens reinstated the flame for many old school fans.

And then there is the Mandalorian. That was pretty good follow-up to the OT and probably the most worthwhile follow-up out of everything we have seen.

Those two have been the standout Disney productions for me.

I think there will be further good shows. Not all of them.. but I am sure some will shine.

Would like to see them make a movie that really hits it out of the park. Not much focus on them atm, and can't see Rougue Squadron being that movie (if it gets made).

Randy_Flagg

I would have agreed with you during the prequel era.

Force Awakens reinstated the flame for many old school fans.

And then there is the Mandalorian. That was pretty good follow-up to the OT and probably the most worthwhile follow-up out of everything we have seen.

Those two have been the standout Disney productions for me.

I think there will be further good shows. Not all of them.. but I am sure some will shine.

Would like to see them make a movie that really hits it out of the park. Not much focus on them atm, and can't see Rougue Squadron being that movie (if it gets made).
I'm with you. Force Awakens really got me back on board after being pretty disappointed with the prequels. And while I still wish they had planned the ST better (or at all), I do enjoy all three films. Rogue One and Solo are also entertaining, as is Mando. I haven't yet seen Boba Fett, so I can't comment on that. The Obi-Wan trailer certainly looks promising. Even as somebody who didn't love the prequels, I'm pretty stoked to see Ewan and Hayden back.

Overall, I think this is a pretty awesome time to be a SW fan. Tons of new content, and while not everything will appeal to everyone, there's always something new coming out, so the occasional disappointment really isn't a big deal. During the prequel era, when we thought that was all we were getting, the disappointments hit harder.