Brilliant War movies

Indyz Azn Gurl

Kill Cavalry said:
If I had to pick a favorite I'd have to say Glory. Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Matthew Broderick, and others...how could you resist?

:D:D:D:D:D:D
Sooooooooo true!!! :D

The Patriot was soooooooooo tight too!! :D

swords

DrJones56 said:
swords said:
Oh, I think you misquoted. Broom said it was garbage. I never watched it. Is it any good, because I can never get into Kubric's films. "Dr Strangelove, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb", thats a crazy title. Anyway, is it good?

I loved it, and take it from me, I HATE Kubric's films but I did in fact love Dr. Srangelove.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

westford

Oh, forgot about Three Kings!!! One of Clooney's best films I'd say, and Wahlberg isn't bad in it either.

Haven't seen Dr Strangelove, but I've heard it's great.

hffan2000

i would reccommend all those and windtalkers. i know it got some bad reviews but i just watched it last night and those reviews were wrong. it's a great film about a segment of world war 2 that is rarely talked about. it also is not for the faint of heart cause the battle scenes can get quite bloody. john woo has made an excellent war epic. :)

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
My favorite war movie is Apocalypse now. It shows war from an unusual point of view, plus it goes further than just beeing a war movie. I saw the Redux version; it's got very interesting scenes added to it but it's kinda too long.

[Edited by vaxer on 04-20-2003 at 03:27 pm]

Kill Cavalry

Well, I have to admit that my own mind rejects "different" films right off the bat. I usually warm up to them eventually. The Thin Red Line was really...interesting when I saw it (well, I only saw half of it, I just couldn't keep watching it), but it's been recommeneded to me by several people, so I might go see it again.

EvilNazi

as for plot and directing: the best war movie in medieval times is BRAVE HEART. the way the battles are directed is gereat. i had never been a great mel gibson fan until i saw his perfomance as an actor and director in brave heart. and sophie marceau, oh la la.

as for WW II movies, although i didnt find the plot that good, Saving Private Ryan is for me the best one. It's the most realistic one, Steven Spielberg is a genius.

Oldtimers disease

Did anyone mention Das Boot or did I say that already?

I did?

Did I say I saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when it first came out in theaters?

I did?

Dagnabbit.

Now, where are my false teeth?

swords

Here you go oldtimer
*passes over the contents*

I was trying to be a smart allec, but you did in fact mention "Das Boot" on the first page, right over my post. Maybe I have old timers.

[Edited by swords on 05-07-2003 at 08:14 pm]

EvilDevo

Kill Cavalry said:
Well, I have to admit that my own mind rejects "different" films right off the bat. I usually warm up to them eventually. The Thin Red Line was really...interesting when I saw it (well, I only saw half of it, I just couldn't keep watching it), but it's been recommeneded to me by several people, so I might go see it again.

im not gonna lie to you, i fell asleep through the thin red line the first time i saw it, i found it too boring. but i was a lot younger then, and i saw it again a little while ago and found it to be actually kinda good. its no saving private ryan though

EvilNazi

i hated thin red line.

i'm not demanding a lot of action, but still. that movie all it did was show flashbacks, a dead bird and the crying faces of soldiers. man, was that movie boring.

Trautman

Where Eagles Dare

When the discussion comes to war movies only few mention "Where Eagles Dare", but that is without doubt the best war movie ever.

Other good war movies are "Kelly's Heroes", "The Longest Day", "Patton" and "Platoon".

EvilNazi

what about "the eagle has landed".
i have read the movie and watched the movie. the plot is quite original.