Brilliant War movies

EvilNazi

Blue Max

Did anybody mention "The blue max"???

i dont know how i could forget about it.

it's one of my favourites. air dofight in WWI is one of my favourite subjects and "Blue Max" is the only good movie i have seen about it. Its with George Peppard, James Mason and Ursula Andress.

its quite a deep movie, about war, competition and focuses on the blue max, also known as Orden Pour Le Merite, the highest medal for airfighters.
despite being an old movie, its special effects are good and george peppard even learned how to fly a plane in order to do the easy scenes. stunts of course were made by pros.

there have others WWI movies about air dofight, but they all sucked. specially "Red Baron". i found the movie soooooo bad. Manfred von Richthofen is one of my idols, and seeing such a bad movie about him made me furious. and it's 80 % made up, not loyal to real events.
then there was one with julie andrews, which sucked too.

anyway, "blue Max" is a great movie, and the soundtrack by jerry goldsmith is great too.

[Edited by EvilNazi on 05-10-2003 at 03:03 pm]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Loved the Bomb garbage?

Well, to each his own I suppose. But I truly believe it may be the funniest movie ever made. Funniest war movie anyhow. And comedy aside, it's rather profound as well.

Three cheers to Peter Sellers for all his characters.

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

:D

Kumba

EvilNazi said:
what about "the eagle has landed".
i have read the movie and watched the movie. the plot is quite original.

I recently saw The Eagle Has Landed. It starts out slow, but builds up to the climax. Very good Saturday afternoon film, if you catch my drift.........

Broadsword to Danny Boy...Broadsword to Danny Boy

Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood said:
Broadsword to Danny Boy...Broadsword to Danny Boy

Where Eagle's Dare is the one to see on a rainy afternoon, better yet, during a snowstorm, with a blonde gal named "Olga" or "Ursula" at your elbow.

Kumba

Yeah, haha, I've also seen Where Eagles Dare, and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. oOo, what'd I'd give to go on a date with that German chick, awwwwww.......

EarlyBird

My picks:

Sgt. York
In Harms Way
They Were Expendable
The Sands of Iwo Gima
Twelve O'Clock High
The Bridge Over the River Kwai
Braveheart
The Patriot

I'm gonna list the classics that I've seen and liked:

Lawrence of Arabia
The Great Escape
Twelve O' Clock High
Gunga Din

I can't believe no one has mentioned Stalag 17! That was a great movie!

Also, on the comedy side, do military flicks count? As in, they're not out at war, but they're in training camp and stuff? If so, "No Time For Sergeants" with Andy Griffith and "Buck Privates" with Abbott and Costello are absolutely hilarious! Too much great stuff to list! If you haven't seen these, though, watch for (in "NTFS") the toilet seat salute and (in "BP") the firearm drill scene.

Marcus Petrius

Strange thing no one mentioned Empire of the Sun. Truly a great movie and one of Spielbergs masterpieces. I would've liked to see Club Obi Wan in it, though.

Marcus Petrius

Last summer it was on tv here (in the Netherlands ) all the time. We have a certain channel that shows movies for a few months, so instead of renting the trilogy and watching that all day, when my parents went on a vacation, I watched Empire of the Sun 6 times and Working Girl 4 times. I did rent the trilogy after a few days though.

Kumba

Renderking Fisk said:
I just saw Pearl Harbor again (We own it on both VHS WIDESCREEN and DVD WIDESCREEN) and I'm amazed at how choked up I get in some powerful scenes.

Flame away, cause I know there's a few of you here who thought it was a stupid movie.

You're a good man, Renderking. You like widescreen and you're a republican, just like me! lol (good thing Finn doesn't monitor this section, mwahahaha!). Anyway, yes, pearl harbor is a great film and i don't know why it got such bad reviews. I think the love story was fine the way it was...

[Edited by kumba on 10-16-2003 at 05:15 pm]

Joe Brody

War Movies

For me, the boundaries of the genre are pretty narrow. Despite how much I may love a given flic, I won't tag a drama as a war movie just because it unfolds in the midst of a war. Accordingly, I won't include favorites like 'Empire of the Sun' and 'The Deer Hunter'.

Elements/themes that I look for in War movies are: overcoming fear/cowardice, loyalty, unit cohesiveness (including all sorts of prejudice), and -- of course -- accomplishing the mission. A great war movie also tells something not just about the characters, but about the conflict. I don't like shallow glamorizations.

My three favorites are (all Army):
Platoon
Sahara
Black Hawk Down

The two David Lean epics -- 'Bridge over the River Kwai' and 'Lawrence of Arabia' -- meet the criteria above but merit special consideration. IMO 'Lawrence' is bigger than a war movie because T.E. Lawrence's accomplishments were larger than life. Kwai is a great movie but problematic in that I feel it tries to do too much (in posing moral dilemmas) and suffers dramatically as a result.

Kumba

Yeah, those are good too. But if there are two war movies you'll ever see, it should be "The Guns of Navarone", and "Three Kings". Magnificent acting, and great stories.

Patrick

Um... about 5 years ago I used to watch old black-and-white films on the history channel. I have a few, although I mostly confuse them with "Combat", a slightly "pro-war" television show in the '60s. I've seen more POW movies than war, but I think I can name a few...

The Bridge( I'm not sure if that is the real name of the film, but I call it that anyways. It is a story about a group of young Nazi soldiers who were stationed in a bridge,were american troops are soon to arrive at.)

Hamburger Hill

Bat 21

U-571

Um... I think that's all I can remember