Ark of the Covenant

Gary

Early in the "Raiders" film, when Jones is being recruited to find the Ark, he opens a book and shows his recruiters a drawing of the ark.

I would like to find a copy of that drawing somehow. Does anyone know if that picture was drawn for the movie or if that drawing exists somewhere else?

Thanks for the help.

Joe Brody

Deadlock left you off easy,

. . . .Quid Pro Quo Gary,

What's the drawing for?

[Note to self . . . must work on social skills and clever introductions.]

Gary

Ark Of The Covenant drawing

Deadlock,

That is the EXACT drawing! Thank you very much! Could you do me one more favor? Could you tell me where the drawing comes from? I can't make out the name of the artist, the language used, or what Bible it came from.

By the way, Joe, I want the picture because I am fascinated by the Ark, I loved seeing it in the movie and I love the drama in the picture. (I still get chills when I see it, even though I 've seen them movie about a dozen times.)

This drawing reminds me of the Gustav Dore Bible illustrations that I poured over as a kid.

Thanks, Deadlock, for this help.

Gary

Deadlock

Gary said:
Deadlock,

That is the EXACT drawing! Thank you very much! Could you do me one more favor? Could you tell me where the drawing comes from?

"Not Really. Ravenwood is the real expert. Abner did the first serious work on Tanis, collected some of its relics. It was his obsession really."

But since Ravenwood and I keep in touch... ;)

The book seen in the film is a Bible (or perhaps multiple Bibles). It is generally believed to be a Dutch Bible. The picture was apparently inserted into the Bible, rather than actually being in there. The drawing itself was apparently done by Ralph McQuarrie (but may have been based on another source). I'm not sure the text says anything, it may just be gibberish deisgned to look like a foreign language.

You can read more here.

WilliamBoyd8

post_roosevelt_dutchbible.jpg

At Hyde Park, Feb. 27, 1933, the President reads the 263-year-old
Dutch family Bible on which he took the oath of office.

:)

micsteam

Ralph McQuarrie did the drawing for the movie, he was the conceptual artist for the first three Star Wars movies (and I'm sure possibly for the pre-quels as they used a lot of the original concepts from the first three). Hope this helps. :hat: