Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

Joe Brody

Eric Solo said:
[In my best Dart Maul voice] At last we will reveal ourselves to the Indy Fan Community. At last we will have revenge.:hat:

[In my best Indiana Jones]One-shot Sith apprentices. I hate these guys.

[LOL. I've been doing the Toht thing around here for awhile, and it was funny to finally to get a worthy retort.]

RocketSledFight

Katarn07 said:
And the Battle of Endor is the best space battle out of all 6 movies.

Definitely. When the battle starts and the cockpit view of the falcon is shown as tie fighters spread out (I wish I had a picture of what I'm talking about) I'm still wowed by how awesome the scene looks, even with years of advancement in special effects since then. Extremely exciting scene.

Michael24 said:
Which was precisely the whole point of the Ewoks, as Lucas wanted to show that being all-powerful didn't necessarily mean you were always going to win. But the thing is, it was the Rebels who defeated the Empire. The Ewoks basically just keep them busy on Endor while Han worked his way into the shield generator bunker to blow it up, and then Lando and the other fighters blew up the death star.

I completely understand that. The point was that no matter the odds, heart and spirit will always overcome adversity. I can completely identify with the message being presented. It’s just a bit insulting when you’ve got arguably the most bad ass villains in any film series…being defeated by cutesy teddy bears. It's so incredibly degrading. It’s very clashing and rough to take seriously. It counteracts the serious message they were trying to send. I don’t doubt that wookiees would have been the way to get the message across far clearer. Unfortunately teddy bears would sell on the market, so Lucas’s greed reigned supreme and he altered the plots seriousness for the almighty dollar.

MarxBrosFan

It's in third place for me, after ESB and ANH.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm sure there has already been Ewok bashing, so I won't go into that aspect of the film.

Han Solo's character had developed completely by ROTJ so his material isn't as good. It's the main reason Ford didn't want to be in it. He's just the character we're supposed to care about in the action scenes. Since Solo isn't that interesting anymore, Leia suffers as a result. I didn't like Leia being Luke's sister either. It felt like a cheap way to resolve the love triangle so we wouldn't feel sorry for Luke.

The movie lacks the freshness of the first two. The only new location is Endor, a generic forest, and the Death Star plot is rehashed. The Jabba the Hutt scenes are fun, but after that the film drags until Luke is picked up by Vader's AT-AT walker. Luke and Vader's story is what ultimately saves it. You can feel how conflicted Darth Vader is even though you can't see his face. Ian McDiarmid was an excellent villain too.

MarxBrosFan

Deckard said:
scary.gif

Ewoks will consume your soul.

Damn those eyes are scary!

Katarn07

Does anyone who had seen all three of them in a relatively short amount of time hate aspects of the film like puppets, Ewoks, or major plot twists (Luke and Leia as siblings for example)? I saw them all within weeks back in '95 so didn't feel cheated at all. But I can see waiting three years to see it and having been letdown.

roundshort

Man,

Whine Whine whine whine . . .

Hell after parts 1 to 3, this is a great flick! But after 1,2, and 3 the Ernest movies are great

Nurhachi1991

ResidentAlien said:
An abomination. The disgrace of the original trilogy. Suffers from all of the problems that Indy 4 suffered from, actually. After stepping out of Indy 4, I turned to my friend and launched off a series of similarities in execution between that and this.

Ok this is what I meant on the other thread............ I was wrong there and made an ass of myself but why no love for Jedi?

jonesissparrow

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the Ewoks, my ex friend said he liked them and I don't see what was the problem, maybe its because I'm not a humongus fan of Star Wars like eveyone else, but its my second favorite SW film besides Revenge of the Sith and in my opinion on why I like it so much mainly because Luke's confrontation of Vader and Vader's redeemption at the end. I think if any movie resembles ROTJ its Last Crusade because of the resolving strain between father and son and how the father has abandoned his child for his own selfish really, really touch me there! I think what I gain from the two films is that I hope that nothing gets in my way of my parenting of sons and daughters if I do have children.

1.Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. A New Hope
5. Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:
An abomination. The disgrace of the original trilogy. Suffers from all of the problems that Indy 4 suffered from, actually. After stepping out of Indy 4, I turned to my friend and launched off a series of similarities in execution between that and this.

Like Chewbaca swinging from a vine yelling like Tarzan and well... you know...

|ZiR|

No Ticket said:
Like Chewbaca swinging from a vine yelling like Tarzan...

Holy cow, are you serious?

I haven't seen this movie since the 90s. Time for a rewatch without the nostalgia goggles on.

jonesissparrow said:
1.Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. A New Hope
5. Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

That's gotta be the craziest line up I've ever seen. To each their own I suppose...but Revenge of the Sith first? Blasphemy! :p

MarxBrosFan

Katarn07 said:
Does anyone who had seen all three of them in a relatively short amount of time hate aspects of the film like puppets, Ewoks, or major plot twists (Luke and Leia as siblings for example)? I saw them all within weeks back in '95 so didn't feel cheated at all. But I can see waiting three years to see it and having been letdown.

I can definitely see people being let down by Leia and Luke being twins. I said it before and I'll say it again, that plot twist just feels like an easy way to wrap up the love triangle so nobody feels sorry for anyone. Considering how significant it is to the two characters, it's not really treated significantly. It also makes several moments in the first two films cringe worthy.

|ZiR|

MarxBrosFan said:
I can definitely see people being let down by Leia and Luke being twins. I said it before and I'll say it again, that plot twist just feels like an easy way to wrap up the love triangle so nobody feels sorry for anyone. Considering how significant it is to the two characters, it's not really treated significantly. It also makes several moments in the first two films cringe worthy.

Is it true that Lucas had them planned as twins all along? I've heard contradictory reports in that area. Really, I don't mind it, although like you said, it makes some scenes in the first two movies a little weird. (lol twincest)

What I disliked about it was the way the characters handle it. If I remember correctly, Luke tells her and Leia's all like "I know," and that's that.

RocketSledFight

|ZiR| said:
Is it true that Lucas had them planned as twins all along? I've heard contradictory reports in that area. Really, I don't mind it, although like you said, it makes some scenes in the first two movies a little weird. (lol twincest)

What I disliked about it was the way the characters handle it. If I remember correctly, Luke tells her and Leia's all like "I know," and that's that.

Yeah. Her "Ain't no thang" attitude really bugs me.

MarxBrosFan

|ZiR| said:

Lucas would probably say he had it planned all along, but even if he did have the idea in his head I think it is obvious he had not committed to it when he made the first movie. He had no idea how the movie would be received by the public. For all he knew, Han Solo might have been a poorly received character or Harrison Ford might have refused to appear in another Star Wars movie. That's one of the main reasons Han Solo was frozen at the end of ESB; Ford wouldn't sign a three picture deal.

No Ticket

MarxBrosFan said:
Lucas would probably say he had it planned all along, but even if he did have the idea in his head I think it is obvious he had not committed to it when he made the first movie. He had no idea how the movie would be received by the public. For all he knew, Han Solo might have been a poorly received character or Harrison Ford might have refused to appear in another Star Wars movie. That's one of the main reasons Han Solo was frozen at the end of ESB; Ford wouldn't sign a three picture deal.

Lucas if full of bull. He had general ideas in his head about everything but he didn't have a "plan" all along. The prequels are perfect evidence to that in addition to the Leia thing. Why he wants people to really believe he had some pre-constructed grand scheme is beyond me. haha.

AndyLGR

I am a big fan of this movie, when I younger it was my favourite, but I saw the light and Empire is now #1.

But I agree with most of what was said here, the majority of this movie is great, but it has a few downsides:

Ewoks - too cute
Han Solo - under used
Vader's unmasking - not scary enough
Leia / sister - no need for this plot device and not as powerful as the Luke / son scene in Empire

After the dark story and I guess more adult theme of Empire then this is a completely different tone, its almost a rehash of the original.

The same could be said of the Raiders original trilogy - 1st film sets the bar, 2nd is more dark, whilst the 3rd tries to re-capture the spirit of the original.

I enjoyed the prequels for what they were, a bit of nostalgia, but clearly they are nowhere near as good as the originals. although Sith is the exception for me. I know its a separate discussion but imo they made a big mistake in starting the prequels with Vader as a kid. They could have done so much more with the stories if maybe in the first film they split it in to 2 halves - 1st halve as a kid training and 2nd half older and a Jedi apprentice. Then in the final 2 prequels we could have had more Clone war action and more Vader action too. But nevermind.

Empire
Star Wars
Sith
Jedi
Phantom Mneace
Clones