Williams' score

Darth Vile

No Ticket said:
The ESB Finale, is my favorite arrangement of any of John Williams works. All the themes flow so naturally into each other and it sounds so epic. Ahhh, I'm listening to it now. It's so beautiful... how powerful and sad it sounds.

Yep agree with that - In relation to the previous posts, I think "Han & Leia's Theme" works better as a cue a la TESB finale (where it's great), than it does as a piece of music.

Professor Jones

eroc said:
Did anyone pick up on the recurring Peter and the Wolf theme? Or how about the quick Imperial March?

I've been searching times and times for these two themes, but I cannot really hear them... In another thread I've found that they should be at minutes 1,37 and 1,56 of the Jungle Chase track... still I cannot recognize them. Do you all hear them? I'm the only one deaf?

Darth Vile

Professor Jones said:
I've been searching times and times for these two themes, but I cannot really hear them... In another thread I've found that they should be at minutes 1,37 and 1,56 of the Jungle Chase track... still I cannot recognize them. Do you all hear them? I'm the only one deaf?

Never heard them within the context of KOTCS, but there are references within the TESB score to Peter and the Wolf...

The Man

Is it true that The Imperial March can be heard played on piano to the guests when Indy first meets Donovan in Crusade? I can't pick it up...

Darth Vile

Professor Jones said:
Where exactly?

Without the music on in front of me so to speak... The 3 note Wolf motif is evident in the intro to "A Clash of Lightsabers" (the slow swell before Vader's theme kicks in).

MarxBrosFan

Williams is not the man he used to be, but at least every Star Wars prequel had at least one memorable track. I can only remember the skull music when Indy was being hypnotized.

MarxBrosFan

The Man said:
Is it true that The Imperial March can be heard played on piano to the guests when Indy first meets Donovan in Crusade? I can't pick it up...

Yes it's true, but it's much slower and softer than it was in the Star Wars movies.

Darth Vile

MarxBrosFan said:
Williams is not the man he used to be, but at least every Star Wars prequel had at least one memorable track. I can only remember the skull music when Indy was being hypnotized.

So if you are stating that each Star Wars movie had at least one memorable track... are you not stating that KOTCS had one memorable track too i.e. the Crystal Skull theme? Apologies in advance for being pedantic.

MarxBrosFan

Darth Vile said:
So if you are stating that each Star Wars movie had at least one memorable track... are you not stating that KOTCS had one memorable track too i.e. the Crystal Skull theme? Apologies in advance for being pedantic.

I should have been more specific and said the skull theme was memorable because I didn't care for it.

nitzsche

I bought the CD for a small road trip this weekend with my kids. It was the first time I heard the score all by itself.

I'd seen the film in theaters 3 times. My kids saw it once. I was amazed that they could describe the exact scene associated with certain parts of the score. One of those scenes was Mutt on the vines. The part where Dovchenko is dragged into the ant hill - they were exactly right.

I thought that was pretty cool and a testament to John Williams' ability to create memorable scores and really punctuate key moments.

Overall, I like the KotCS score. I noticed he didn't use chorals this time which he has done a lot lately. Maybe this is why people felt it lacked something.

Darth Vile

nitzsche said:
Overall, I like the KotCS score. I noticed he didn't use chorals this time which he has done a lot lately. Maybe this is why people felt it lacked something.

I noticed that too... Not sure if Williams thought chorals wouldn't be fitting with a 1950's type influenced movie?

All in all... I think it's a strong effort by Williams. I think some perceive it to be a bit dull because of it's length (it's bordering on a double album). If Williams had stripped it down to 10 or 11 tracks, I think it would appear a lot punchier.

No Ticket

Darth Vile said:
I noticed that too... Not sure if Williams thought chorals wouldn't be fitting with a 1950's type influenced movie?

All in all... I think it's a strong effort by Williams. I think some perceive it to be a bit dull because of it's length (it's bordering on a double album). If Williams had stripped it down to 10 or 11 tracks, I think it would appear a lot punchier.

I consider it a bit dull, but I think it's still a pretty good score. I've listened to it by itself and I think it sounds better than it does when it's combined with the film. Maybe that's because of how the music was used in the film or because the film just isn't that good.

Darth Vile

No Ticket said:
I consider it a bit dull, but I think it's still a pretty good score. I've listened to it by itself and I think it sounds better than it does when it's combined with the film. Maybe that's because of how the music was used in the film or because the film just isn't that good.

I think if one dislikes the movie, it will colour ones opinion of the score and visa versa...

No Ticket

Darth Vile said:
I think if one dislikes the movie, it will colour ones opinion of the score and visa versa...

Well I've heard the score by itself, I still don't think the score is as powerful as the other ones on a musical level. But it's been a few months now since I saw KOTCS last, it's becoming difficult to discuss something like this since I'd have to see it again to refresh my memory. As of this moment I cannot think of any theme at all from the film that I can remember after having seen the movie more than once.

DoomsdayFAN

fedoraboy said:
I've listened to it several times now and nothing is jumping out at me. I'd have thought Williams would have put more into it after such a long absense as he did with the fantastic sw prequel scores, but there seems to be quite a lot of recycling of old themes here and no real standout new tracks...still a great soundtrack album and I'm hoping it will grow on me but, like the film, I think its the weakest of the bunch.

It was pretty terrible. VERY weak score. Very dissapointing!

nitzsche

I think he was going for a more subdued score - something eerie, noir and reflective of those cheesy 50s movies.

The chorals have gone off the charts in recent JW scores and I was getting concerned he was leaning on the choral button too hard to try and sell certain scenes.

With his KotCS score, he went back to basics.

I like the Spell of the Skull and Irina's Theme, and smile every time the dueling trumpets play the Indy and Mutt themes together at the end - it's brief, but a very clever trick and it makes you appreciate the Mutt theme a bit more since it mirrors Indy's.

Uki

Good point there regarding the father/son themes, Nitzsche. I agree. I personally loved the score to this one, and believe that with time it will be more widely appreciated.

Darth Vile

nitzsche said:
I think he was going for a more subdued score - something eerie, noir and reflective of those cheesy 50s movies.

The chorals have gone off the charts in recent JW scores and I was getting concerned he was leaning on the choral button too hard to try and sell certain scenes.

With his KotCS score, he went back to basics.

I like the Spell of the Skull and Irina's Theme, and smile every time the dueling trumpets play the Indy and Mutt themes together at the end - it's brief, but a very clever trick and it makes you appreciate the Mutt theme a bit more since it mirrors Indy's.

Completely agree.

Also, people tend to forget that scores take a long time to become familiar to the point when all the cues are instantly memorable, and conjure up images of the associated action. There are few scores that hit the spot on first listening/viewing, Raiders and Star Wars being an exception (because of the main themes). One of the much-appreciated Williams scores, The Empire Strikes Back, was seen as dour and repetitive when it was first released… but many like to think they loved it first time they heard it. This is very rarely the case.

Jonesy9906753

Regardless of how "Phoned In" of a job he did on Indy IV,i definitely still had enough in me to go see the man in concert at the Hollywood Bowl last Saturday and he did amazing,Him and the orchestra replicated every score from the different films dead on.He was a very kind guy to the crowd,he kept teasing us during the encores by walking off the stage and coming back out to Conduct,I like how he talked about Spalko's theme before he played it,he meant it to be like almost a femme fatale,and almost sexy theme for Spalko. John Williams is definitely still the man.I have no doubts that he can pull off an amazing score for "Lincoln" if he does it.And while i cant say that Indy IV had a breath taking score i still believe that John Williams truly is a Hollywood legend​